Pool excavation/removal

okronk

Feb 14, 2018
Encino, Calif
Any ideas on how to seek out highly skilled & experienced pool removal experts here in L.A. who are honest and charge a reasonable price would be appreciated. If any
responders to this post do this kind of work, I'll need a detailed/comprehensive step-by-step plan from beginning to end-- with ALL costs included, as well as bona fide referrals. Also, if you would, please give me an idea of the alternative ways to do this, e.g. dirt fill-in, dirt/concrete combo. fill-in, rocks &/or pebble fill in, with at least 1.5 ft. of topsoil at the top. Oh, and how long a job would this be, including how many days the neighbors would have to listen to jackhammers. Any assistance with ideas or proposals would certainly be appreciated. I want this pool gone. It would have been done 10+ years ago, if not for a RE agent's advice.

o,

Welcome to TFP.... A great place to find the answers to all your pool removal questions... :shark:

I personally know nothing about pool removal, but we had a neighbor down the street that had one buried...

They came in and punched a dozen holes in the bottom of the pool and then used a small bulldozer and pushed the pool walls into the center of the pool.. Compacted it down with the bulldozer and added dirt over the top. Just took a couple of days.

I have no idea of the cost, but would think burying one would be a lot less than removing it all together.

Let's see if we can get some of our members to chime in with their thoughts..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Be sure to check on any municipal codes on the requirements for removal of a pool structure.

I do about a half dozen fill/in removals per season, to both concrete & liner pools.
Pools are outbuildings & the removal or fill in requires a permit.
The walls floor or both will need to be removed & inspected by municipalities before backfill..

This is fairness to any future owners of the property.

Often times it’s “cheaper to keep’er” & renovate/repair.

Not a direct help but the house behind ours that recently was sold had their vinyl pool just filled in. Granted I never saw the former owner in it nor the new one's so to each their own - made me cry on the inside a bit though!

But being able to look over the fence I think they just had 2 'guys' fill it in over the course of a few weekends with some dirt/large rocks and used a small plate compactor to compact the dirt down and a weekend of jack-hammering out the concrete decking. I don't think the liner was even removed from what I recall seeing. All the filter, pumps, and lines are still on the equipment pad. I see forms now going up for a concrete patio to go over top the pool.

Not a direct help but the house behind ours that recently was sold had their vinyl pool just filled in. Granted I never saw the former owner in it nor the new one's so to each their own - made me cry on the inside a bit though!

But being able to look over the fence I think they just had 2 'guys' fill it in over the course of a few weekends with some dirt/large rocks and used a small plate compactor to compact the dirt down and a weekend of jack-hammering out the concrete decking. I don't think the liner was even removed from what I recall seeing. All the filter, pumps, and lines are still on the equipment pad. I see forms now going up for a concrete patio to go over top the pool.

Wow! That’s scary. Without good compaction (maybe wait a year to let some rain and water to hit it), that deck is going to move and crack all over the place. No plate compactor is going to give reasonable compaction over the depth of a pool. Looks like they were going cheap on the pool “removal”...

Wow! That’s scary. Without good compaction (maybe wait a year to let some rain and water to hit it), that deck is going to move and crack all over the place. No plate compactor is going to give reasonable compaction over the depth of a pool. Looks like they were going cheap on the pool “removal”...

That also puts them at a huge liability when selling, if they don't disclose that hidden mess. It is scary!

Maddie :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Any ideas on how to seek out highly skilled & experienced pool removal experts here in L.A. who are honest and charge a reasonable price would be appreciated.

I'm sorry you want to fill in your pool. What makes you want to do that?

I will say that demolition isn't usually relegated to the highly skilled worker. Those with high skills are usually the ones building the pools. They usually send out the big guys with strong backs that can handle the heavy hammers. There isn't much skill needed to demo something, especially if you aren't trying to save any of it.

It may be worth a call to your local code office to see if there are any gov't rules/codes and to see if a permit is needed. I would guess they say yes since you are replacing it with a poured patio.

I would think the equipment could be hauled off by a scrap company. underground plumbing could be capped off and buried. The main pool could be prepared and filled in if allowed. If not, it would take some equipment to break any concrete and trucks to haul away debris.

I'd just make sure that whatever quotes you do get include the cost of removal of debris from site. You would also want a company with insurance to cover any damages to the stuff your didn't want demo'd.

You would have to determine if the cost is reasonable. Get a couple of quotes if possible. It isn't skilled work, just hard labor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.