Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Removing scale from solar blanket?

1. Back To Top    #1

Removing scale from solar blanket?

Removing scale from solar blanket? Because I have an indoor pool in a fairly small space, there is no place to take the solar blanket off the pool to clean it. It has build up of scale at the seam of the solar blanket that is a left over from when the pool had a saline system. Is there a pool cleaning chemical that can be used on the solar blanket while it is still on the pool? The pool is only 8 feet wide and the solar blanket is seamed all the way down the 42 foot length. Iím assuming I could apply the chemical to the scale with a mop, and could use a soft nylon brush attached to the pool pole to give it a gentle scrubbing.

Iím wondering if anyone has tried this or can suggest a chemical that will be save for both the pool and the solar blanket.

Thank you for your help.
    Indoor lap pool 8Ď x 42Ď gunite, 13,000 gal
    Nature2 filter, non chlorine shock every 3-4 weeks
    converted from saline system 11/2016
    built 2001

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Removing scale from solar blanket?

Is there any way to take it outside? If not here is my other idea:

I think a very weak muratic acid solution (10 to 1 to start with) may do the trick and it is safe for the pool. Just know it will push your PH down so you will need to be ready to splash around a lot to push it back up............CANNON BALL! LOL

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

It has build up of scale at the seam of the solar blanket that is a left over from when the pool had a saline system.
    FYI - the fact it was a SaltWater pool has no relationship to scale buildup. Poor management of pH, TA, and CH levels will cause scale.

Take care.
    6000 Gallon IG Fiberglass with integrated Spa;Pentair CCP240 Cartridge Filter with Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump and HTR250 heater. IC40 SWG. EasyTouch 4. Dolphin Active20 Robot "Roadrunner", TF 100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir!
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!! Pool Math App
    Marty

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    Is there any way to take it outside? If not here is my other idea:

I think a very weak muratic acid solution (10 to 1 to start with) may do the trick and it is safe for the pool. Just know it will push your PH down so you will need to be ready to splash around a lot to push it back up............CANNON BALL! LOL

Kim
    Thank you, Kim. Iím not able to take it outside but I do appreciate your suggestion. Thanks so much.
    Indoor lap pool 8Ď x 42Ď gunite, 13,000 gal
    Nature2 filter, non chlorine shock every 3-4 weeks
    converted from saline system 11/2016
    built 2001