ph Balance Question

Jul 27, 2017
Fulshear, TX
I am a new pool owner and have been using the TFP test kit to monitor and manage my water.
I have an inground, pebblesheen (plaster) pool with a volume of approximately 27,500 gallons.
I test my pool weekly and it reflects a ph of 7.8. I am using the pool math app which recommends that I add muratic acid (10%) every week - which I do. However, the ph doesn't seem to come down week to week. It has been raining recently, and wondered if this leads to the ph creeping up.
My current readings are:
FC: 3
ph: 7.8
TA: 80
CH: 250
CYA: 20
Temp: 57 deg F

I added approx. 24 oz of acid today after taking the above readings.
What is the best method to slightly lower the ph? Does rain raise the ph? I am missing something?
Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!

A pH of 7.8 is fine. I would suggest not adding it until you see 8.0. Then only drop to 7.6 and see if the rise slows. Every pool water is a bit different.

Rain does raise your pH due to aeration - just like a bubbler, waterfall, sheer descent, spillover, etc. Do you have any of those?
Can you fill out a signature? See - Pool School - Getting Started

I would suggest you need to raise your CYA over the next month. How high depends on your method of chlorination. Be sure to use the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Good luck - and welcome again!

Thanks! Signature updated! :cool:
I have a spillway from the spa that runs approx. 8hrs per day; sheer descents only come on when manually turned on. I am currently using a combination of liquid bleach with chlorine tabs. The pool is relatively new, so I assumed my CYA would naturally go up as I use more tabs and get more use out of the pool when it warms up.
So, will I just normally need to periodically add acid to keep the ph in check due to the water features?
Thanks again!

Do you have automation and actuated valves? If so, it would be best to set it up so the spillover only runs 30 minutes or so each day. If not, then eventually you will probably want to add it!

Yes - your pH will go up due to the aeration. You will need to watch your TA as if you are too aggressive on the pH side, you can drop your TA too low.

If you are going to use the tabs to add CYA that is OK. Use PoolMath, Effects of Adding Chemicals, to know when you are about to hit 40 ppm. If you plan to DAILY add liquid chlorine starting in about 6 weeks or so, that is the CYA level you should target.

You may eventually want to look at a SWCG or Stenner pump system for your daily FC maintenance.

Take care.

Yes, I have the Pentair Easytouch, and revise the program accordingly.
i might look into the metering pump set up. I can't use a SWG as I have a lot of natural flagstone. They source most of the stone from Oklahoma where I am located and it is not very resilient to salt water.
Thanks!

I can't use a SWG as I have a lot of natural flagstone.

From all reports that is false. Have you seen natural flagstone around a SWCG pool that has had the pH properly managed and is it damaged?

The natural stones are harmed by high pH. Not the salt.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.