Surge Proctor install question

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello,

I've had this SPD for awhile and finally have time to install it w 20amp DP breaker.

The install of the wiring is very clear, but for some reason I thought my (2) 200amp service panels sides were accessible. Unfortunately the panels are flush mounted to the sheetrock.

Based on the picture of the SPD, an HEPD80, it's easiest way to install is directly into a punch-out and be done w it. But, there are 2 green lights that must be viewed to indicate it's working, so it cannot be covered.

I have a few ideas, but wanted to know if anyone has installed one of these before w a flush panel, had no wires exposed and made the install look visually appealing. All of our garages in our gated-community are sheet rocked, painted and trimmed out, so installs had to look good, as well as to code.

Thank you and pls let me know if you have any questions,
tstex

Attachments

• surge protector.jpg
    surge protector.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 64
How do you feel about cutting into your wall and adding a small recessed electrical box to it? Would require some Sheetrock repair and repainting. Or, you could mount an electrical box on the wall with the panel and fish the wiring through a backside knockout and then up through a knockout at the bottom of the recessed panel?

All depends on how you want it to look.

tx,

If the main reason you are installing it is to protect your pool equipment, then I would install it at the equipment pad, in the bottom of the ProLogic box.

My 'gut' says protection at the main panel, might help, but the closer to the equipment you want to protect is much better..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Well, with a little bit of drywall work, elbow grease, sweat and half dozen trips to the hardware store, you could install a small, flush mount electrical box either below or next to the panel you want to hook the surge protector up to and then wire it that way. Of course it depends on where the wall studs are located but that’s not a huge deal. Most of those panel boxes have solid covers though so you would not normally be able to view the status of the SPD without taking the cover off. Some boxes can get fancy with a hinged door that opens and closes. As long as the SPD is wired correctly, it should be code compliant. Anything you do is going to be a little bit of a hack as that particular model SPD is meant for a wall mounted electrical box, not a flush mounted one. I believe SquareD sells other variants of its SPDs designed to be flush mounted on a wall and attached to a breaker box but I’m pretty sure they’re also more expensive.

tx,

If the main reason you are installing it is to protect your pool equipment, then I would install it at the equipment pad, in the bottom of the ProLogic box.

My 'gut' says protection at the main panel, might help, but the closer to the equipment you want to protect is much better..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim..Way in the original post, I stated that the pool panel has 6 double slots and they are all taken, so there's no room. However, in the last month, we've had 4-5 power outages due to a failing power transformer, then it finally blew and was replaced. I would think that the power outages are resolved if that was the issue, but surges surely still exist. Therefore, I am also concerned for all of the electronics in the house too. So, an install in the panel will be appropriate. Since I have (2) 200amp service panels in the garage, I will need to do this twice.

Finally, I am aware that the best protection is as close to the device as possible, I'm doing the best I can w what I have. If the breakers start tripping again, I will replace the whole Hayward automation panel w Pentair Panel [AND A PENTAIR VSP] and over size the slots to accommodate current equip and extra slots for SPD's. I'm also going to install a 99% UV proof and sun protection poly-bicarbonate panels over the pump and pool panel areas to take the direct and intense sun off of the equipment/panel as well. "KNOCK ON WOOD", I have not had any or minimal trips of the VSP breaker in the winter as well as a myriad of other pump controller problems. However, this is my third pump and the last one was install Jan 2017, so it's barely 1 yr old.

thanks, tstex

Thanks Matt.

I have a friend coming over today w his stud finder, so I'm going to have that marked.

By code compliant, I want all the wires to be completely encased, which somehow means grey flex conduit. I would like to find something that recesses into the sheetrock, can help to hide sheetrock cuts [trim it out], and then no cover to see the green lights. This would look professional, aesthetically appealing for resale and of course, the wires from the service panel knockouts to "this recessed device" would all be encased by grey flex conduit. This would be ideal. Thoughts ?

Thanks Matt, tstex

*****UPDATE*****

WOW !!!! I just completed a view searches and found this. I think it is ideal and even the description states it's for the model SPD I procured. I'll probably be ordering 2 of them. It even looks like the flush mount kit has an interior receptacle that the SPD is secured to in an upright position to view the green lights, no door either. The hole is the same as a panel punchout. What I really like is the extra wide trim on the flush mt bc I can really hack at the sheetrock and have plenty of margin to cover it w the wide trim..what do you guys think?

Square D TVSXRFMK HEPD Flush Mount Kit

Will do Matt...I also saw that this site has the SPD's for about 10-15% of home depots pricing, and there mounting kit is $19 while HD's is $32...think I've found a good site. Hopefully this thread will help anyone else w flush mounted panels that want to install a SPD...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Getting ready for Church, but can you pls a little more specific gobbler? I actually have a call into the right person at our power company to see what they are going to do about our reliability issues - thanks

Getting ready for Church, but can you pls a little more specific gobbler? I actually have a call into the right person at our power company to see what they are going to do about our reliability issues - thanks

I work for a public power company that supplies electricity for a 5 county area. What I am talking about is what we call a “lightning arrestor” and it is installed at the transformer or at your weatherhead where you wires come into your house. Around here we install them for around $50. Typically they can take one shot of lightning and then you replace them. All that is if lightning is your problem. If it is actual power surges from another source that are coming from the electric provider they also may have a “surge arrestor” that can be installed in the same way.
Did I explain it enough?

I work for a public power company that supplies electricity for a 5 county area. What I am talking about is what we call a “lightning arrestor” and it is installed at the transformer or at your weatherhead where you wires come into your house. Around here we install them for around $50. Typically they can take one shot of lightning and then you replace them. All that is if lightning is your problem. If it is actual power surges from another source that are coming from the electric provider they also may have a “surge arrestor” that can be installed in the same way.
Did I explain it enough?

Yes, thank you very much - tstex

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.