Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair spa side remote

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair spa side remote

Anyone have any idea why Iím going through an is4 every coupe years? Pool is 15 ish years old and I upgraded from an air switch to the is4 5-6 years ago, replaced them every 2 years or so since then. Third one just went bad.

For each one of them one random day one of the buttons will be triggered, jets or lights or heater. Then the easytouch will automatically shut off the spa side remote so they donít work without enabling the spa side again, but it will shut off the spa side after a few button pushes.

I want to upgrade to a 10 button remote but donít want to buy one every two years.

22,000gal W/spa & spillway
    Starite S8M cartrige
    IG Plaster, built in 2000
    IC40 SWG, 4000hrs, 3yo
    NG Mastertemp 400
    MX-8
    Solar Cover
    4-20' Sungrabber Panels

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair spa side remote

You might consider adding ScreenLogic to your EasyTouch and using an old phone or tablet as your remote.
    6000 Gallon IG Fiberglass with integrated Spa;Pentair CCP240 Cartridge Filter with Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump and HTR250 heater. IC40 SWG. EasyTouch 4. Dolphin Active20 Robot "Roadrunner", TF 100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir!
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!! Pool Math App
    Marty

3. Back To Top    #3

e,

The iS4 is nothing but four cheap momentary switches and an LED.. My 'guess' is that depending on the location at the Spa, water/water vapors get inside and corrode the switches. I think the enclosure is water resistant and not waterproof.

As Marty points out ScreenLogic is a good replacement and makes programming and using your EasyTouch about 10 x easier and much more fun.

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

You may be right jim, the remotes location is dead center of the water level, Iíll move it and buy a 10 button. Thanks.

Screen logic is in the plans but not ideal for the primary way to use the spa.

22,000gal W/spa & spillway
    Starite S8M cartrige
    IG Plaster, built in 2000
    IC40 SWG, 4000hrs, 3yo
    NG Mastertemp 400
    MX-8
    Solar Cover
    4-20' Sungrabber Panels

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Elyrain View Post
    You may be right jim, the remotes location is dead center of the water level, I’ll move it and buy a 10 button. Thanks.

E,

The remote needs to be at least 4" above the water level per the iS4 manual.. I think you found the reason they have been going bad...

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

6. Back To Top    #6

Youíll find that the built in spa remotes all suffer from this issue. Many pool builders donít install them anymore for this very reason.

I donít use ScreamLogic but rather the old(er)-school 8-button RF remote. Itís been working fine (knock on wood) for 5 years straight now. I can control the spa with and take it with me spa side. Sure, itís not built in to the spa, but thatís a plus in my opinion - one less thing to degrade and fall apart from the hot desert sun.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    I don’t use ScreamLogic but rather the old(er)-school 8-button RF remote.
    Matt,

I think Pentair should change the name to "Scream-Logic" as that is the sound of joy I make every time I use it.....

That wood you are knocking on is getting thinner and thinner as we talk...

Jim R.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Elyrain View Post
    You may be right jim, the remotes location is dead center of the water level, Iíll move it and buy a 10 button. Thanks.

The 10 button spa side remotes have a terrible reputation. Seems they only last for about a year. For the price, they are more expensive than a Screenlogic setup.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.