Pool Pump Replumb

I'm not the hydraulics guy (though there's someone here that is, maybe he'll check in), but I know I've read somewhere that a good chunk of long straight pipe coming out of the pump like that is a good thing. It might even be in the manual for some pumps, as in "required." More importantly, a tight curve so close to the pump's exit can mess with its flow (somehow). Now sure why, off hand, but I'm fairly certain that's why the original plumber did it that way. The length of pipe before the pump is also important. Read up on that a bit before you chop-chop...

Your system looks a lot like mine used to. That's a tab feeder, right? Do you use a lot of tabs? Exclusively? Do you know how tabs can affect your pool's chemistry? If not, may I interject some advice about that? Using a lot of tabs can send your pool's water into a spin. TFP's Pool School can get you on a better path. Worth a read. (Link above.) I know that wasn't your question, but I wish someone had warned me about tabs before they caused me more than a little grief...

I,

Why??? There would be no obvious advantage to do it??? In fact, what you have now may even prevent the filter from draining back through your pump when you take the lid off..

Are you having a problem that you think is related to that part of the plumbing???

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I,

Why??? There would be no obvious advantage to do it??? In fact, what you have now may even prevent the filter from draining back through your pump when you take the lid off..

Are you having a problem that you think is related to that part of the plumbing???

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Interesting. My system has a check valve on that section of pipe. Maybe that’s why it’s there.

Thanks for all responses. No, I don't use the tab feeder except for when on vacation. I manually dose with chlorine regularly. I was going to add a larger valve on the line to the filter to make draining the pool easier. Sometimes we get a lot of rain, and I have to run the pump for several hours to drain the pool by a few inches through the small spigot. I am going to leave the plumbing as is for now - and maybe put a larger drain valve on the tee.

I,

Sounds like a good plan to me...

But, the next time you have to re-plumb the pump, I suggest that you ditch the threaded connections and use pump unions....

They eliminate the eventual leaks at the threaded ends and look like this... Custom Molded 21063-200-000-2PK Union Threaded 2 inch MPT x 2 inch Slip for IntelliFlo, 2 Pack

You can buy them at a lot of places, the link just has a couple of good pics.. The key is that they have an O-ring on the threaded end that eliminates any leaks..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.