First Time Tester

Ok good to know. Tonight's plan: I will test my water, add chlorine if needed then run the pump for at least 30-60 min. Test again before bed, record that number. Keep the pump on low all night. Tomorrow morning run the pump for at least 30 min, test again and compare the two numbers. If they are the same, or less than 1 difference, then we are algae free. :)

I got another one for you guys- from what I have been reading, it sounds like we use liquid bleach so that you don't increase the CYA? And the 25 gallon bucket of Power Powder Plus I just bought for 100 bucks will mess up my balance? Is there anything I can use that for? My husband is "less than pleased" about that big 'ol bucket of powder.

it sounds like we use liquid bleach so that you don't increase the CYA? And the 25 gallon bucket of Power Powder Plus I just bought for 100 bucks will mess up my balance?
The main ingredient in that product is Cal-Hypo, so it won't hurt the CYA level, but it will increase your CH. Since I spent 7 years at Luke and know that area quite well, you don't need anything else to make the water harder than it already is. :) If you already opened it and can't try to take it back for a refund or store credit, then keep it in a dry location just in case you ever need it later. It should last for a while.

Yes, regular bleach is your pool's best friend now. :)

Your CH is 200ppm and you used cal hypo? I would think your fill water is that level CH or higher.

Bad news. I cant return that giant box of chlorine. :( I retested the CH, and I don’t think I’m doing it right. The sample keeps turning purple. Even when I add the 5 drops first then continue. I really don’t feel like running out and buying distilled water. So its between 100 and 200.

No worries Krys. Don't sweat it. For this evening, simply focus on the overnight test and that FC reading. Make sure to do the morning test before the sun hits the water - water mixed well of course. :wink: We'll help you through CH testing later. The Powder should be fine stored and may come-in handy at a later date. But for now you know regular bleach is the best method. Have a good evening, and we'll look for the results of your OCLT in the morning.

Good Morning! Test results look good!
Last night FC 5
This morning FC 4.5

That’s good right? :) So the goal now is just to keep it at 5 right? Test my CYA weekly? And assuming it stays around 30-40 then I keep the FC steady at 5.
I’m going camping just over night- and this pool better behave itself while I’m gone.

Thanks again for you all’s help! :) This would be impossible without this forum!

Heyyyyyyy! Look who's up! :wave: Alright! Yes, a loss of 0.5 FC overnight is good. So just continue to check that FC each day for any unusual changes/drops. I'd keep it on the higher end of the recommended range based on a CYA of 40, so about 6-7. I know I'm splitting hairs, but just don't let it drop below 4-5 for a while, even though the minimum is 3. Before you hit the camping trail, go ahead and kick the FC up a little higher if you're going to be gone for more than 24 hrs. You can go up to 10 or so if you like with no problem at all. As for the CYA, no need to test weekly unless you just want to confirm one more time later for practice. Once you get the hang of it, once a month or so should be fine. Enjoy!

:) Sweet- only once a month, I like that!
So daily testing of FC for sure. What about the rest?

FC daily
CC ?
CYA monthly
Ph daily?
TA weekly
CH weekly

I will bring it up to 10 over the weekend since I wont be around to baby sit it. :cool:

You all are rock stars- GRACIAS!! :kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
- CH and CYA should be good once a month unless you have a major water change.
- FC/CC daily
- PH & TA you could probably get by with weekly unless the pH seems to bounce high quickly (over 7.8) or if your TA was elevated and you were actively trying to lower it.

As you continue to test and get more familiar with your water, you'll see a familiar pattern with each of those items and can almost predict what the results should be. Welcome to the world of chemistry. :stirpot:

Good Afternoon!

I am back with a question for the experts. It’s been raining for 2 straight (weird for here!) an my PH has changed. It apprears to be 7.8. According to the pool calculator, I will add 46 oz of Muriatic Aci (29%). My question is this: I also need to bring the FC up a bit. Can I adjust both at the same time? Or separately?

You can do both at nearly the same time. Just let the water circulate by 15 minutes or so between the addition of chlorine and acid. They do not like each other.

But - at 7.8, you really do not need to touch it until you get to 8. Then drop to 7.6.

Rain does raise pH, due to aeration!

Poor us in S Nevada (across the river from Bullhead City, AZ), we got no rain from this system!

4928609F-F3C9-4B6D-8572-5F7303CA253A.jpg3439AA15-059C-4DBC-B7DB-B6976133FD03.jpg
Hi! Remember how I was worried about having algae? But we did all those tests and they numbers came back right? Well my numbers are still looking great but whenever I sweep my pool there is this white powder trailing the brush. I tried to take pic to show you. It kind of looks like a shadow in the pics, but its seems to be dust. Could it just be dust? It’s more so in the shallow end and on the stairs than in the deep end.

What do you all think? :confused:

Krystal, any chance what you're seeing could be sand? Have you been able to capture any of that stuff to see what it feels like? You might want to try tying a sock to one of the returns to capture some of that to see if that is indeed sand blowing out into the pool. That can happen from time to time when there's a problem inside the filter. Just a though since you seem to be passing all the chemical requirements. The only other things that come to my mind would be a lot of local junk blowing into the water from storms and such, or dead algae. How is your filter pressure gauge looking? With that stuff in there, I would think your PSI should be climbing.

Good Morning!

So the PSI is good. Only 1-2 points above starting. Maybe it is just dust? I live next to horse property, and the neighbor has about 6 horses that kick up dust all day. But the pool isn’t right next to them. I tried the sock thing. Haha I failed. I’m assuming you meant to hold a sock over the out take that goes into the pool right? It’s kinda far down the pool wall and I couldn’t hold it there for very long. I swept it again this morning and turned the pump on high. I usually only run for 4 hour on low. Perhaps that is not enough. So today I will leave it on high for a few hours. Am I being too picky? As long as there is no issues going on, I can live with a little dust. :)

Regarding the dust, what kind of vacuum do you have and how often are you running it?

I too had dust like debris even with using my pressure side cleaner (Kreepy Krauly Legend). Then, for a variety of reasons I switched to a robot. Dolphin A20 and use the finest filtering inserts. Problem gone completely. You can’t believe the fine debris captured in the pleated cartridges.

I'm not really sure that the vacuum is called. I do know that it doesn't do a great job. You can see where it has tracked, because its clean where it goes but it takes one round in the shallow and then does circles in the deep end. I don't think its a very good model. Ill have to look at yours. Its encouraging to know that you had dust too though. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I found it-- this is what I have http://www.lesliespool.com/Hayward-Pool-Vac-XL-Suction-Side-Pool-Cleaner/Pool-Vac-XL.htm

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.