Does a spa cycle like a aquarium?

Dec 21, 2017
Cape Town
Hi,

We are in a massive drought in Cape Town at the moment and I'm using bore hole water in my jacuzzi. I'm getting the water from a friend, so I'm trying to make it last as long as possible. A couple of weeks ago I took the paper filter to him to blow it out with the same bore hole water, but a few days later, the jacuzzi water started getting dirty and a little bit oily it seems.

So my question is, does the paper filter get organisms on it like a aquariums filter that helps balance the water? I'm probably way off here so I'm just trying to figure out why the water got dirty right after cleaning the filter. I've replaced all the water in the mean time, so I'm trying to avoid having the same situation again.

Thanks in advance.
Conrad

A well maintained spa should have zero organisms living in it. That is why we maintain a proper chlorine or bromine level; to kill microscopic organisms and oxidize dirt and oils.

It is possible the filter was damaged during cleaning (did he use a pressure washer?), but this sounds as likely to be a chemistry issue. If you could share your current test numbers we can help you figure out the issue.

A well maintained spa should have zero organisms living in it. That is why we maintain a proper chlorine or bromine level; to kill microscopic organisms and oxidize dirt and oils.

It is possible the filter was damaged during cleaning (did he use a pressure washer?), but this sounds as likely to be a chemistry issue. If you could share your current test numbers we can help you figure out the issue.

It was a pipe connected to a normal pump, so not high pressure. The chemistry thing makes sense as I did add soda ash to get the PH up and the bromine level was a bit unstable. I since replaced the water, so it is fine now. Guess I'll just have to do a better job at maintaining the chemistries...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.