New to Forums - Just signed to build a pool in The Woodlands, TX

Any thoughts on where we could put a hand rail in this setup for the shelf/steps? The builder discouraged the handrail and encouraged holding on to the steps by the wall which to me is not ideal for older nearly 80yr old parents...
fa50331d68d647239ef03e7cf489d7b9.jpg

ice,

I agree with you... the wall is no substitute for a railing.. The first steps getting in, and the last steps getting out, is the problem area. I'm pretty sure "Just hold on to the wall" did not come out of the mouth of an old person... :p

I put mine in the middle of my steps so it would not make any difference which side we use. Since my pool is kind of square, it just made sense for me.

I'd probably do the same for yours, but no matter what you do, it will not be a pretty as 'no railing'...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Just got word from the builder that the excavation will begin this Thursday and they will flash it with Gunnite same day to prevent any collapsing of the walls. We have had a lot of rain in the last month and he did not want to lose the window to dig. Possible rebar Friday followed by Gunnite Saturday if the weather holds.

I agree too on the middle of your main stair area. There are many choices available that range for normal to quite artistic (read expensive). But if looks are a concern, I wouldn't hesitate to lay down some coin to make a somewhat obtrusive aspect of your pool be a conversation piece.

This for example - super fancy:

Super Fancy pool railing.jpg

Or this, kinda fancy:

Kind fancy pool railing.jpg

The builder is coming by today to remove the fence (welded so I will have to get a fence company to fix it later) and check the ground on the way into the back yard. My concern is that the ground is so soft the Bobcat would make huge ruts right now in the yard. I know the yard will be a disaster for a couple of months but we are ready to begin!

That rail works really well with your pool. As for your yard, it will be destroyed [emoji17] Our dig was in our backyard. We thought the front yard would be not so bad as they were using small equipment due to access. There was a clear front and side path for them to fit easily. No, they decided to use the front yard grass for access. The whole thing is ripped to shreds, with huge ruts and mounds. All our concrete garden edging is shattered. Honestly it's worse than the backyard where they were digging. Having said that we are happy with the job they did but we don't even know where to start fixing up the front yard. If it's just your side yard it might not be so hard t fix. I would expect some degree of damage though. In a year's time it will all be sorted and we'll both have a lovely pool to swim in. Good luck with your dig. Love your design by the way. Freeform yet symmetrical. Would be very much what I would Build if I had the space.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That rail is purrfect! Good shape and placement!

For the yard you can get some (a lot really) of heavy plywood and build a "bridge" for where they will be going on your dirt area. IF they are "nice" they will stay on it.

Kim:kim:

Ice,

Nice looking railing... a great choice..

For your lawn expect this...

dbtgallery.php

The real problem is that the machine compacts the dirt under the grass much more than I thought it would...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Just avert your eyes from the disaster area for a while. As our PB said, dirt, straw and seed, or sod fixes everything. Not 100% true but mostly. It's bad at first when they dig the hole, THEN they did the trenches (ugh). Try to stay calm and breathe deeply.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.