Hayward Tristar 3202VSP Pump clicking sound

Hi,

I have a Hayward Tristar 3202VSP pump, installed in September. For the past few weeks, it's been making a clicking sound. It's most noticeable when running at low speed, but I sometimes hear it when running at higher speeds. The pump runs 24x7, about 3200rpm during the day for 5 hours, then 1000rpm the rest of the time. Anyone have any thoughts what may cause the clicking sound?

Thanks,
David

Could be something caught in the impeller and/or volute. Try clearing the impeller inlet first to see if anything is there.

dm,

Have you done the math to determine what pump running time you need for your SWCG to properl sanitize your pool? It seems running your pool pump at 3200 rpm for 5 hrs then 19 hrs at 1000rpm might be excessive, esp for a 6600 gal pool.

As mark suggested, checking the impeller or any other non-warranty/chargeable item would first make sense, then if you find nothing, call your installer bc your vs pump has only been installed 4-5 months.

Good luck and let us know what you find, tstex

Thanks for the info guys. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how do I check/clear the impeller inlet? Is that where the water enters the pump after the pump filter basket, or do I have to take it apart? I looked in the manual, but I didn't see where it described that process. I haven't done the math on runtime/SWCG. The chlorine did get a bit high, so I turned the SWCG down and it is staying in range now. I only set it to run at night in case of freeze and will probably set it to run only during the day after winter is over.

If you remove the pump lid and basket, the inlet is on the bottom. If there is nothing there, then you may have to remove the motor from the pump to view the impeller directly.

dm,

mark has you covered...make sure you turn off the breaker to the pump while checking the impeller...

Also, on the pump run time w the SWCG, in winter, a lot less CL is needed, so what you generate now prob won't be sufficient when the temp rises and you start using your pool..it's a "modify the plan" as the seasons change - let us know how you make out...tstex

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.