Frozen pool

kywildcats

Bronze Supporter
Jul 23, 2015
Mayfield, KY
This is my third winter with the pool, and the first year it ever froze solid. It is starting to thaw, and some areas have no ice, while other areas are still pretty frozen. I have water standing on the cover now, so my question is, should I pump it off now, or wait until everything unfreezes? Should I be concerned about jagged edges of ice if I lay my pump on the cover? Going to be about 60 here the next two days, then back below freezing for the weekend.

Just got it all pumped off this morning, just in time for possibly 1/4 inch of ice, 1 inch of sleet, and a couple inches of snow. It is 62 right now, and when the front moves through it will drop to the low 20s this evening. I HATE winter!!!!

Amazing how clean that water looks without being covered for the winter. I hate looking at my cover! Apparently you don't drain below the skimmer, so what do you use in that for protection against ice? I use an ultra gizmo and a couple pieces of pool noodle in mine.

Here's my pool (cropped my kid's face out for privacy.) We close it. We've never had a problem with it hurting anything freezing over. It was many inches thick at this point.
attachment.php
Hmm, That pretty interesting how the edge of the pool is casting a shadow, but the person who is in that picture does not cast a shadow.

How does that happen?:suspect:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Absolutely not photoshopped (what would I have to gain by doing that?). I thought it looked like that when my wife sent it to me too but it's just a quick pic taken by a Samsung phone. From that perspective rail would be to the right with shadows going to the left. The pool is blue fiberglass and it froze super clear. We had some weeks down into single digits, but no snow or anything so it just froze. Since it's closed there's no motion going on in the pool.

I'm not totally sure as a company does the work. When they close the pool they drain it down to a level that is just below the skimmer opening but one of the jets is below that level. The other jet has a pipe at 90 degrees sticking up just above the water level. I wish I could be more help but I'm just not sure exactly what all they do.

Mine got frozen as well, lucky or unlucky for me that there was also ice formed in the skimmer, since all the antifreeze actually disappeared from a crack. It is the second crack on the skimmer bottom so i think I will replacing the skimmer before opening for the season, so I am not really sad about it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.