Need recommendations for the best way to wire my equipment at the pad

rawb

Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2017
Lexington, SC
The electrician is going to wire everything next week and I wanted to ask a few questions here before he does to make sure we get it configured and wired in a way that makes the most sense. Here is a picture of my setup:

pad.jpg

We don't have a complicated setup at all...no spa, fountains, etc....just a Pentair IntelliFlo and IntelliChlor SWG. The electrician is suggesting that we run a 220V line to the pad. The first thing he wanted to see if I could confirm is whether the IntelliFlo is ok with a 220V connection directly into it and would the LED screen on top work with a straight 220V connection to the pump? I would think the answer to that would be yes. I guess he's just making sure the IntelliFlo will handle all of that internally.

The main part I wanted to nail down is exactly how to connect the pieces of the equipment...what will be dependent on the external timer and what won't. I got a 110V Intermatic manual timer figuring I would need it for the SWG. My understanding was that the IntelliFlo has it's own internal timer but the IntelliChlor needs an external timer. The electrician said he can do 110V to the timer but would recommend that I get a 220V timer instead. I guess I'm just trying to understand how the different pieces (and timer) will be hooked up to each other, what will be dependent on the timer and what won't. He noticed the "port" on the side of the pump and wondered if maybe that was some way to connect the IntelliFlo to the SWG so that a manual timer was not needed for the SWG, but I'm thinking maybe that port is just for automation?

I think it would be very helpful for me if someone with some experience in this part could suggest what the TFP best practice would be on how to wire everything up at my pad. That way, I can make sure the electrician does it in a way that makes the most sense :)

Thanks so much !

raw,

The IntelliFlo needs to be connected directly from a GFCI circuit breaker to the pump. The IntelliFlo gets constant 220 volt AC power and nothing else..

The plug on the side of the IntelliFlo is for connection to an automation system, not the SWCG..

The SWCG can be wired to run off of either 120 volts or 220 volts. I suspect the electrician wants to use 220 volts as it would make it easier on him.

Not sure you have a GFCI protected outlet at your equipment pad or not, but I suggest you add one. And, while you are adding things, I would think about adding a light over the pad.

What about your pool light?? Do you have one and is the electrician going to be connecting it??

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

raw,

The IntelliFlo needs to be connected directly from a GFCI circuit breaker to the pump. The IntelliFlo gets constant 220 volt AC power and nothing else..

The plug on the side of the IntelliFlo is for connection to an automation system, not the SWCG..

The SWCG can be wired to run off of either 120 volts or 220 volts. I suspect the electrician wants to use 220 volts as it would make it easier on him.

Not sure you have a GFCI protected outlet at your equipment pad or not, but I suggest you add one. And, while you are adding things, I would think about adding a light over the pad.

What about your pool light?? Do you have one and is the electrician going to be connecting it??

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim! Yes, I have a Pentair IntelliBrite 5G that my electrician will be running a line for and my PB will be connecting it. I haven't really thought about an outlet or light at the pad, but makes sense. I guess the only disconnect remaining in my mind is how the pump and SWG work together with their timers? I know the pump has it's own internal timer as, as I mentioned, and I have purchased an Intermatic extermal timer because it was my understanding that I need it for the salt system. If that's the case, how it is wired exactly and how do I coordinate the timers on both the pool and salt system? I'm sure it's a simple answer, I think I just need it explained to me.

Thanks!

Raw,

I'll let your electrician wire it, but operation wise it works like this...

You set your pump's internal timer to operate the way you want.. So for example, let's say you have the pump comes on at 8 am. and run until 8 pm. You would then set your Intermatic timer, which will control the AC power to the salt system's controller box, so that it turns on at say 9 am. and shuts off at 7 pm. You want the external timer to only turn on the SWCG when the pump is scheduled to run.. Since there will be some error between the two timers, it makes sense to allow for some extra time for the pump to run...

It will be up to you to ensure that the two timers stay somewhat in sync, like after a power outage, etc..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Raw,

I'll let your electrician wire it, but operation wise it works like this...

You set your pump's internal timer to operate the way you want.. So for example, let's say you have the pump comes on at 8 am. and run until 8 pm. You would then set your Intermatic timer, which will control the AC power to the salt system's controller box, so that it turns on at say 9 am. and shuts off at 7 pm. You want the external timer to only turn on the SWCG when the pump is scheduled to run.. Since there will be some error between the two timers, it makes sense to allow for some extra time for the pump to run...

It will be up to you to ensure that the two timers stay somewhat in sync, like after a power outage, etc..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim...thanks for your explanation, I think I finally get it :) Thanks very much. That makes sense. One more thing...If I decide to run the pump 24/7 at a low RPM as some have suggested, would I just let the SWG run 24/7 as well?

Raw,

This is one of those personal choice things... Some people like to run their pumps for the shortest amount of time and their SWCG's at 100%, while others like to run their pumps for a long time and the SWCG as the lowest output they can... There is no Right or Wrong way to do it... it is up to you and your pool.

I personally run my pump and SWCG 24/7. I run my pump at 1200 rpm most of the time, because that is the speed I need to ensure the SWCG's flow switch stays closed. I like the idea that I'm adding a little chlorine all the time vs. a lot of chlorine all at one time. It does not matter to the salt cell one way or the other...

Running the pump 24/7 means that I get constant skimming and that the pump does not have to go though the priming cycle each time it starts up. My "gut" says it is easier on the pump, but I have zero proof that this is true.. :p I currently have three IntelliFlo pumps that have been running 24/7 for almost 4 years, and so far, so good, but only time will tell..

Thanks,

Jim R.

- - - Updated - - -

The key for you, if running the pump 24/7, is that if you turn off the pump for any reason, you also need to be able to turn off the power to the salt system controller.

Raw,

This is one of those personal choice things... Some people like to run their pumps for the shortest amount of time and their SWCG's at 100%, while others like to run their pumps for a long time and the SWCG as the lowest output they can... There is no Right or Wrong way to do it... it is up to you and your pool.

I personally run my pump and SWCG 24/7. I run my pump at 1200 rpm most of the time, because that is the speed I need to ensure the SWCG's flow switch stays closed. I like the idea that I'm adding a little chlorine all the time vs. a lot of chlorine all at one time. It does not matter to the salt cell one way or the other...

Running the pump 24/7 means that I get constant skimming and that the pump does not have to go though the priming cycle each time it starts up. My "gut" says it is easier on the pump, but I have zero proof that this is true.. :p I currently have three IntelliFlo pumps that have been running 24/7 for almost 4 years, and so far, so good, but only time will tell..

Thanks,

Jim R.

- - - Updated - - -

The key for you, if running the pump 24/7, is that if you turn off the pump for any reason, you also need to be able to turn off the power to the salt system controller.

That all makes sense Jim. And to your last point about making sure I can turn off power to salt system controller...as long as he hooks the 220v line into the timer first, then the SWG, I should be able to do that I would imagine?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.