Redoing all plumbing, need help with parts

Aug 11, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Hello all. New TFP and pool owner here. Made it through first season. The pool I acquired has 5-6 small leaks so I am looking to redo all the plumbing above the ground. I will also be putting it on new pool pads since the filter has tipped and the existing concrete cracked. However when researching parts, I noticed mine was setup differently then the manual. I am hoping you can help.

One problem is the valve assembly appears glued to the PVC on one end so I would have to replace this whole part. The PVC into the pump appear threaded, as well as the filter, so that should be easy enough. The main problem is the valve assembly is not the one pictured in the manual so I am wondering which one to replace it with.

Here is my current setup / notes:
Dropbox - Photo Dec 12, 8 36 56 AM-notes.jpg

Photo Dec 12, 8 36 56 AM-notes-sm.jpg

Here is the manual for S244S:
Dropbox - Screen Shot 2017-12-12 at 10.35.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-12 at 10.35.33 AM.jpg

Equipment:

Filter: Hayward S244S
Valve Assembly: SP-410-A
New Valve Assembly: SP710X62

Some questions:

1. Do you think I can replace the valve assembly with the one from the manual?
2. If yes, the plumbing on the assembly goes from 2in to 1-1/2in. Will this be ok?
3. If I follow my diagram in the photo above, would you make any other changes for convenience or for making later repairs easier?

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• Photo Dec 12, 8 36 56 AM-notes-sm.jpg
    Photo Dec 12, 8 36 56 AM-notes-sm.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 47
It's certainly possible to change the plumbing. The SP710 valve is a 1½" valve, and it looks like your plumbing is 1½", so there shouldn't be a size change.

That side mount multiport valve should be a direct replacement for the existing slide valve, so there should be no problems there.

I would change all the valves you can to pool type valves instead of the residential plumbing valves.

I'd also try to find out what that capped off pipe is or was for. Where it's located, it could be an abandoned main drain or it could be a dedicated return for something. If you know who's serviced the pool in the past, they might be able to shed some light on what it was.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.