Pressure gauge

David0408

Oct 16, 2017
San Antonio, TX
My pressure gauge screws into my filter horizontally and always fills with water. I got tired of replacing them so I have not used a gauge in years. Has anyone come up with a fix or come across a sealed gauge? Thanks.

25k gallons
Above Ground
Plaster
Hayward S244T sand filter
AO Smith B-129 pump
Build around 1980
TF-100 test kit
City water (No restriction)

I would think it is nearly impossible to run a properly managed pool without knowing the pressure of the system prior to the filter. One would never know the proper time to clean the filter.

There are many quality pressure gauges available. A place to start would be at TFTestkits.net. Or InyoPools.com.

Take care.

Why bother with an elbow, can’t you just use a rear-mounting style gauge?? The pictures all show a bottom mount gauge on its side which is just silly....

The gauge threads are very close to the lip of the multi port valve. I don't think the center mount will clear. Even if it did, it's located behind the filter so I wouldn't be able to see it. I'm hoping the elbow will give me the clearance that I need.

25k gallons
Above Ground
Plaster
Hayward S244T sand filter
AO Smith B-129 pump
Build around 1980
TF-100 test kit
City water (No restriction)

Just my thoughts on back mount gauges in pool services mounted with the face vertical. What tends to happen is that because the bottom of the bourdon tube is below the pressure port the bottom of the tube fills with a little water that can't be drained without removing the gauge, and then that water freezes and ruins the gauge, no matter how good a gauge you buy. I always prefer bottom mount gauges with a street elbow in this application. Just my 2¢.

My current filter has a back mounted gauge and it's installed with the face pointed up. And it's also recessed into the housing. I don't really like that arrangement either, and I'll figure out a fix when this gauge fails.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not sure I would use brass. Better to go to Home Depot and see what you can find.

Might have to try one and see if it works.

$6 seems a bit pricey. Any local hardware store would have one of those for half that price. Do you have an Ace or HomeDepot nearby?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.