New build in southeast Arizona

Holiday

Silver Supporter
Dec 17, 2015
Sierra Vista AZ
Our hot Arizona summers are about to get a whole lot cooler. My yard has been dreaming of a pool for a long time, and now it's happening. Here is a before shot with the pre grading done.
Yard before - Copy.jpg

And this is what it's supposed to look like in 3 months.
Meyer9_006.jpg

Considering the small town we live in and distances involved with going to a bigger city for a pool builder we were pretty much stuck with 1 builder to choose from, however they have been in business for a long time and I feel confident that we'll get a great quality build. Thanks to everyone for all the tips and advice I found here that helped me build a pool that I feel will be well worth the wait and with everything I've learned we'll have a sparkly clear pool to enjoy for many years to come.

Oh me, oh my! You are off to a great start! I LOVE the design! I see a good swimming lane and some neat looking steps! There are benches enough for everyone! NICE job!

Becoming a TFP supporter should give you plenty of room for lots of pics! I can't wait to see it happen!

When do you think they will start digging?

Kim:kim:

They started digging today, but not even half done. The benches were inspired by Suz's and Jamie's pools, I love how they don't take up a lot of room. The depths are starting at 3.5 feet (wanted 4' but the type of spa needs 3.5) and deepest is 7'. The spa will have a 27" deep seat with 2 jets for the taller husband and son. Total estimated gallons will be around 13,000.

They showed up at 6:30 this morning. I'm sure some neighbors were thinking unkind thoughts. They left with it mostly dug. We never discussed whether or not they work weekends... It's taking up more space that I was imagining it would. :shock: The good news is that I shouldn't have to deal with much mud, it doesn't rain a whole lot out here.
20171208.jpg

My quilting hobby and holiday vacation prep got in the way of updates. The finished digging after 3 days. We have lots of rocks. They started the plumbing right away. Plumbing starts.jpg
Then straight on to rebar, they did a nice job, I think. I have a double jet set up in the deeper seat of the spa for the tall guys in my life. My spa.jpg
Once another weekend was done they came and finished the rebar and set up the equipment area, did the bonding and inspection was today for gunite tomorrow.
Rebar 2.jpgWe are anxiously awaiting tomorrow morning.:kim: Good thing I have a time lapse camera on my patio roof so if I can't get any pix while they work I can watch it later. After tomorrow there shouldn't be any work for 2 weeks while we are out of town. They are going to stop work and wait for me to be home so I can watch the whole thing.

Something just occurred to me.... I don't see where the SWG is going to go. SWG question.jpg

The PVC has been painted to help it resist the sun, but I don't see anywhere they can remove plumbing to install the SWG. I do see a capped piece of PVC next to the heater, and I'm not sure what this box is. We had a rainy weekend, all it did was help compact the clay soil and cause moisture to form in this so I can't see anything inside. If it had unions I would think it might be a place holder.IDK what this is.jpg

SWG-that would be where it would be I think...............Ask your PB just to be on the safe side.

LOTS of progress since your last up date! I am guessing you passed inspection! Make sure to be out there and ready to give input when they come to shot the gunite. Lots of times they will have ideas or such to make your pool an even better pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They showed up on December 20th and in 5 hours I went from a wire cage in the ground to a pool!
I have a pool.jpg
I just love my steps into the pool and spa. It's hard to see, but just to the right of the spa wall is the bench, they dropped it about 4 inches lower than the step, I like that it'll be 17 inches of water, and the deep seat in the spa will be 24 inches. Glad I have tall boys.
Steps.jpg
The kids were not as excited as I was, but they were busy packing for visiting Grandma. I did make them take a quick dip in the pool first.
A quick swim.jpg
Two weeks later we're back home and now I have nice level dirt around my pool, preparing for the concrete deck. Nothing fancy, and as much as we could safely afford, tho the husband is considering adding a little more. We are having a retaining wall planter built along the back corner to help funnel monsoon rains away from the pool. I'm looking forward to planting some perennial herbs in there, nothing too flowery tho.

Oh happy days!!! What an awesome update! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE everything about this pool! LOL on the boys taking a dip!!! CUTE!

So it is time for you to have your own set of links! It is a lot of info so this will give you time to read it over a couple few times. Once you start using it everything will start to click:

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

PoolMath

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

Also ask your PB what test kit he will be giving you. Let us know so we can fill in any holes.

Thanks Kim. I assumed they would give me some strips, so I got the TF 100 test kit and the salt kit. About a week later the designer told me I was going to be getting a Taylor 2006 kit. I guess I'll be able to test the idea that you can never have too much of a good thing. :D

Not much happening in my yard. It's all ok though because 1. It's only February and 2..... Well, there is no 2, looking forward to getting this done. Tile was on January 10th and 11th. They did not put the tiles on the steps and benches yet, waiting until closer to plaster date.
Tile going in.jpg
I'm hoping it looks as good as I imagined it would way back in October when we picked our tile and decking options. They poured the deck and textured it and we're liking it so far. We went with grey, as much as we love living in Arizona everything being tan and brown really drove us nuts, so the last thing we wanted was a tan deck, luckily they have a nice light grey.
Waiting for plaster.jpg
I'm scheduled for plaster on the 22nd of February, and between now and then they have to rebuild the wall they demolished to get access, hang the gate in that wall, build my planter/retaining wall and place step tiles. Then I get to pass a safety inspection.

My son and I tested our fill water yesterday, he had tons of fun with the speed stir (so did I) and I am liking our numbers. We will practice a bit in the next couple weeks. I told my husband I have to train our son to take over when I'm too old to take care of the pool. He's 7 and more excited about the pool than I am, which is hard to believe.
FC 0
PH 7.2
TA 190
CH 150
I really expected to have a higher CH living in AZ but I guess most of our water supply comes from the rain we get in the mountains (or so I've been told). I plan to take a sample to the builder for a metals test next week.

That decking does look great! I bet that has helped with the dirt and such!

So happy to see a plaster date! Here is hoping nothing happens to move it back!!!

LOL on the 7 yr old being a "mad scientist" Did you get him a white lab coat and safety googles to complete the fun???

Those are some good starting numbers for sure!!!

Everything has gone so smoothly, I feel very lucky that we haven't hit any snags. Yesterday was inspection, the inspector asked the PM a few questions then had to hurry off and didn't even check my door alarms. I know there's a post plaster inspection also, so maybe he'll check then. Almost everything is on track for a late morning plaster today. I say almost because when I couldn't sleep last night my brain finally realized that I have no tiles on my steps and benches. So as soon as it's an appropriate time I'm calling my PM and asking if they plan to do it right before plaster.
Today is the day.jpg
All my cleaning heads are in, and the lights also, hope they are gentle with them. I even had them install a ring on each side where the slope starts getting steep so I can put in a rope with floaties to let the littles know how far they can go before it gets too deep. I plan to put stacked stone on the retaining wall in the future, and make it nicer by the pool, my PM knows some guys who'll do it cheaper than the pool company, maybe we won't have to DIY the project. My son and I have already picked up our seeds to plant inside it, he loves flowers. I'll post an after picture later today (hopefully).

:party: that you get plaster soon!!!! Here is hoping they are VERY gentle with everything.

step tile. It can be put in with the plaster. In fact I like how it looks better with the plaster between them instead of the grout!!

After 2 hours we've only got 1000 gallons in so far. Been taking some pain meds for a foot injury so mathing is hard for me today, but by my estimate that puts me at 28 hours to fill the pool. Not bad. They want to let the pool sit still until Monday but I insisted that someone come tomorrow afternoon-evening and show me exactly how to turn on the pump so the water will move some over the weekend. I'm not sure if I should put DE in my filter once I get it started or wait until the start-up guys show up Monday. PM recommended waiting for start-up guys. Highs might make it to 60 this weekend, and lows around 30, so not really worried about algae yet, just wondering about the plaster dust causing issues. I don't think my pole is long enough to get the bottom of the pool unless I kneel/lay down on the coping... So I'm going shopping for a longer pole. Here's a shot of my 1000 gallons.
1000 gallons in.jpg

Exciting! Mine took like 36 hours for 29k gallons. I used 2 1/2" hoses. I think I figured I was pushing 14 gallons/minute.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.