Winter months in TX, SWG use with Spa

Jan 2, 2014
The Woodlands, TX
Been reading up on winter use of my ic40 SWG. Pool temp is now 58, which I believe is the cutoff for the SWG to stop producing chlorine. The manual basically says that's all I need to do unless I anticipate freezing temps.

I'm not quite understanding how that relates to my use of the attached Spa during the winter.

Should I leave the system in SPA Mode? I don't plan on heating the spa constantly, only when I plan to use it.

I would have to assume that I need the SWG to produce chlorine for my spa use (even though it will be infrequent).

Any tips on how to winterize my pool would be appreciated.

You should be adding bleach to your pool/spa water from now on based on frequent testing. Follow the non-SWCG chart [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA].

Do you have an EasyTouch? Please add to your signature if you do. Also place your location in your Settings, not your signature.

Take care.

OK, so just disable the SWCG? I'm familiar with the bleach method as my previous pool did not have a SWCG.

And so I'm clear....I should leave it in pool mode so I get the circulation, right? Put it in SPA mode only when I want to heat/use the spa?

Any comment on what salt levels should be maintained for the off season? Does it matter?

Thanks

Since you have an EasyTouch, the best way to disable the SWCG for the winter is to delete your POOL schedule and create a Feature Circuit schedule to run your pump/filter each day. You can still use the SPA and if the water warms enough the SWCG may turn on during that time but at the minimal level used when is SPA mode.

Salt levels should not change much unless you are draining water due to rain. I would not bother maintaining the salt level until early March when your pool water should be warm enough to restart your SWCG.

Take care.

Brad,

In the winter, I turn the percentage of output down to zero on my SWCG.. I still maintain my FC level in the pool with Liquid Chlorine. If I had a Spa, I would continue to do the same thing, only I would set up a schedule to run the spa spillover mode (no heat) for 30 minutes twice a day to keep the spa water fresh and chlorinated.

Salt levels, when the salt system is off, really do not make a difference.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.