A multitude of problems after ears of trouble free use.

Dec 2, 2017
Brandon FL
My previous post starts with my motor shutting down for no reason but the trouble is much deeper than that. My pool was built in the 60's there is no skimmer basket just an intake and guessing what used to be the main drain pipe. I have 3 floor sweeps that are fixed into the bottom of the pool. They are not popups and can not be plugged. Recently the from 2 in the shallow end started blowing bubbles and I have started loosing water with the pump running aprox half inch a day. I also am loosing my pump prime. The top f he 6 way valve was leaking and it had been years since I replaced the sand so I replace the valve and the filter sand. Han no effect on my issues. I have called a couple of leak companies and they say because my floor sweeps can not be plugged they can not test my pool for leaks. I have also notice my pressure seems to be higher than normal . I am getting very discouraged and hoping to find some help here I am very mechanically inclined I did not mention that I have replaced the 4 union o rings and the basket o rings I can not visibly see any leaks above the ground suction or discharge please any help would be greatly appreciated.

They are pushing out air that has been sucked into the system. Check all the above ground plumbing on the suction side with the pump running. Drizzle water over the pipe joints or smear some shaving cream over the joints and watch to see if any gets sucked into the pipe. A hand held inspection mirror will help you check the underside of the pipe joints. Any joint that sucks in water or shaving cream is an airleak to be repaired. Also check that the drain plugs on the pump are snug, and that the intake pipe is completely covered by water. If you did not lube the new o-rings with silicone lube you will need to do so.

Ok so I have spent a week re plumbing everything above ground no leaks still sucking air and blowing bubbles.
You must be frazzled. :hammer: Well, we know that bubbles means air must be getting "pulled" in from somewhere, typically from the pump backwards. Since you have re-done all the above-ground plumbing, that would seem to leave two things I didn't read above ..... low water level at the pool (allowing air to get sucked in by the suction pipe) or ...... (Ugh) ... a break in the suction line underground. Those are not as common as we might think, however your pool is quite old. Soil shifting or a large tree root might have compromised the suction line where you don't see it. If you felt inclined and really wanted to test that theory, you could rig-up a temp suction line above ground - from the pump back to the pool. Just a simple line that drops below water where you can rule-out that underground suction line. Maybe worth a shot since it sounds like you've tried just about everything else.

I forgot to mention, there are other scenarios that can sometimes produce bubbles from the return jets, things like SWGs for example. But I kind of doubt that's what's happening in your case. Still, I would recommend updating your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. It helps tremendously as we skim the posts for assistance.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So what you are suggesting is to run a bypass line from the pool to the pump above ground ?. I am at a loss the pump is loosing prime over night and the sandfilter is full of air I can bleed the air off the bubbles will go away for about 30 minutes then start coming back. I have plenty of water above the skimmer intake and it will do it with or without the cleaner hooked up seems worse with it hooked up. Thanks for the support.

Yeah, my suggestion to run a temp-line for suction from the pump directly into the water was simply to rule-out underground breakage (peace of mind). You seemed to have exhausted most everything else above ground, so I figured it may worth a shot. But certainly your call. It's common to get more air in the system when vacuuming simply because those fitting and such are not as airtight.

Your signature shows a pump with a Suction Vacuum Release System. Those are known to be very problematic in shutting down randomly due to perceived entrapment.

Did these issues start with the installation of that pump? Are you having issues with the pump shutting down?

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.