New pool build... so confused by my pump options! (VSP or 2 speed)

Jun 11, 2012
Hey guys, I've tried to do my research before coming to you by reading old threads on the matter. I have a new build, (managing the build myself) and I'm struggling on which pump to buy. All my equipment is hayward so far, and i want to be able to control it with Ecommand

I was wondering if the tristar VS was enough or if I needed to go ecostar. (pool/spa combo) I looked at pump curves and i think I just got more confused. Then I read about all the failures with Variable speed after a few years and got more concerned. my electricity cost are about 8 cents a KWH. Can I use ecommand to just switch between hi and low on a 2 speed pump? Is the ecostar overkill for my needs? Would a line conditioner of some sort help keep the VS pumps going longer?

pumps I was considering
Tristar SP3202VSP
Ecostar SP3400VSP
Some 2 speed pump if these are more reliable?

in ground 22k gallons with a spa with spillover and one other weeping rock.(6 looped jets to filter main pool)
425 sq in swim clear catridge
chlorine (bleach baby!)
Hayward 350k btu heater
2" lines
polaris 280
Wet edge sateen
Ecommand box (HPC-4-APC-RC)
Houston, TX

This link seemed helpful showing my GPM rates wouldnt go past 73 anyway for 2" pipe to spa?
Pool Pump Sizing - Pool Plaza

Thanks for any help!

nog,

I would go with the larger VS pump because it gives you the most options.

With a single speed pump, or even a two speed pump, you need to make sure the pump fits your plumbing and filter. To exaggerate , you obviously don't want a 10 HP pump trying to push water through a 1" pipe...

With a VS pump you just use the amount of HP you want to fit the needs of your pool. Kind of like driving your car in a school zone... Jus because your car has 200 HP does not mean you have to drive it at 100 mph.

This is somewhat important when you have a Pool, Spa and water features. Each of those will require you to have different amounts of water flow. With a VS pump you can select the flow you want. With a single speed or even a two speed pump, the water flow is determined by the pump, and not you.

It is always wise to install a surge protector right at the equipment pad to protect the pump.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

To use Jim’s oft-quoted line - getting a single speed pump is like buying an old, black, Bakelite rotary phone, buying a 2-Speed pump is like getting one of those original Motorola, analog RF car phones with the carry-around battery brick, and buying a variable speed pump is like owning an iPhone. They can all make phone calls but you get way more functionality from an iPhone.

Modern day VSP are not prone to failure; at least not ones bought from the reputable pool equipment makers (Pentair, Hayward, Jandy). I’d be very skeptical of the online reviews about them as only people that complain put up reviews and few give enough detail to determine the actual cause of failure. VSPs have been around for 10+ years now and the technology is mature and well past its infancy stages. The latest models of IntelliFlo VSPs from Pentair are incredible pumps and well worth the price. I don’t know too much about the Hayward pump line, but I bet they are similar quality. One thing for sure - if you do get a VSP, then install a surge-protective device (SPD) at the equipment panel to protect it. Household-rated, panel mount SPDs are cheap, ~$100, and easily installed; cheap insurance for a very expensive item to replace if damaged by a lightening strike.

nog,

I would go with the larger VS pump because it gives you the most options.

With a single speed pump, or even a two speed pump, you need to make sure the pump fits your plumbing and filter. To exaggerate , you obviously don't want a 10 HP pump trying to push water through a 1" pipe...

With a VS pump you just use the amount of HP you want to fit the needs of your pool. Kind of like driving your car in a school zone... Jus because your car has 200 HP does not mean you have to drive it at 100 mph.

This is somewhat important when you have a Pool, Spa and water features. Each of those will require you to have different amounts of water flow. With a VS pump you can select the flow you want. With a single speed or even a two speed pump, the water flow is determined by the pump, and not you.

It is always wise to install a surge protector right at the equipment pad to protect the pump.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Boom. I knew you guys would have the answer, I'll make sure my electrician will put in a surge protector, and i'll get the ecostar. Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.