IC40 or IC60 for 18,500 gallon pool? (Only about $100 different)

rawb

Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2017
Lexington, SC
Looking for some advice. I have read the articles on TFP concerning the advantages of oversizing the SWG to be able to run the pump less and other reasons. Question is, would IC40 be sufficient or would IC60 be even better. I don't mind spending the $100 difference if I'm better off with the IC60. But not sure if that's too much overkill.

Thanks for any quick replies...I will probably need to decide today or tomorrow.

Get the IC-60. I have an IC-40 on my 16,000 gallon pool and it works fine but, when it comes time to replace it, I'm going with an IC-60. If you can get one for $100 difference in total price, then do it! SWGs are like filters, bigger is always better....

raw,

Not sure what type of pump you have, but if you have a single speed pump then you want the largest cell you can get so that you can run if for the least amount of hours.

For $100 dollars, I would go with the IC60 every time..

Thanks,

Jim R.

raw,

Just making sure we are all on the same page.. The IC40/60 both need a power supply. If you plan on automation you need to get the EasyTouch with built in power supply. If no automation, then you will need an external power supply.

Although I am a highly pro Pentair kind of guy, if I was buying a SWCG and did not plan on automation, I'm not sure that I would use the IC40/60..

Thanks,

Jim R.

raw,

Just making sure we are all on the same page.. The IC40/60 both need a power supply. If you plan on automation you need to get the EasyTouch with built in power supply. If no automation, then you will need an external power supply.

Although I am a highly pro Pentair kind of guy, if I was buying a SWCG and did not plan on automation, I'm not sure that I would use the IC40/60..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jimrahbe,

You mentioned a power supply. This was the item I was planning to order if I went with the IC60. I don't have any plans for automation at this point. I'm curious as you why you wouldn't go with the IC40/60?

Thank you!

I don't have any plans for automation at this point. I'm curious as you why you wouldn't go with the IC40/60?

Raw,

I'm not against the IC60 and it is what I plan to get when my current IC40 drops dead.. The main reason is that I have a Pentair automation and their cells are designed to be controlled by automation. All the electronics are inside the cell itself. This makes cell replacement a little more costly.

Because the controls are on the cell itself, depending on how it gets plumbed into the system, you have to stand on your head to operate the buttons. You can't turn the cell around because it has an internal flow switch. The cell at my house is that way. Since I don't need to control via the cell's buttons this is not a problem for me.

If I did not have automation, which you would have to pry from my cold dead hands... I would go with a CircuPool system.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Raw,

I'm not against the IC60 and it is what I plan to get when my current IC40 drops dead.. The main reason is that I have a Pentair automation and their cells are designed to be controlled by automation. All the electronics are inside the cell itself. This makes cell replacement a little more costly.

Because the controls are on the cell itself, depending on how it gets plumbed into the system, you have to stand on your head to operate the buttons. You can't turn the cell around because it has an internal flow switch. The cell at my house is that way. Since I don't need to control via the cell's buttons this is not a problem for me.

If I did not have automation, which you would have to pry from my cold dead hands... I would go with a CircuPool system.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

I know this may get us a little off topic, but automation is something I know little about at this point. I've been focused on doing my research on the main stuff..pump, SWG, sand filter and light. I guess I'm curious what kind of benefits I may be able to get out of automation since I don't have a spa, waterfall or any other features and honestly don't plan to have any in the future. Would automation be a waste for me in that case?

One other thought I had was that if I go with the IC60 for my 18,500 gallon pool, would there be a risk with oversizing that much of not being able to set output low enough in some cases on the control panel, or is that not even a concern?

One other thought I had was that if I go with the IC60 for my 18,500 gallon pool, would there be a risk with oversizing that much of not being able to set output low enough in some cases on the control panel, or is that not even a concern?

Not a concern. You can reduce your pump time along with the SWCG %. As it sounds like you will not have automation you will need separate timers for your pump and SWCG. So if you want to run your pump longer that timer can be set for one duration and the other for the SWCG for a shorter period.

With automation, it all gets really easy as you can create separate programs for pump time with SWCG and without SWCG.

Take care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jim,

I know this may get us a little off topic, but automation is something I know little about at this point. I've been focused on doing my research on the main stuff..pump, SWG, sand filter and light. I guess I'm curious what kind of benefits I may be able to get out of automation since I don't have a spa, waterfall or any other features and honestly don't plan to have any in the future. Would automation be a waste for me in that case?

Raw,

There are some advantages to having automation, but in your case, I doubt they outweigh the main disadvantage which is the initial cost... The best time to install automation is when the pool is being built, so that all the plumbing, wiring, and conduits can easily be done. No one "needs" automation, but a pool with a Spa and water features would benefit the most.

The main advantage would be that you could control your pump and SWCG from your PC, tablet, or phone. The automation system allows you to schedule when and how the pool runs.

I was asking about automation only because if you were planning on it, then that would dictate the Salt system that you should buy...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Not a concern. You can reduce your pump time along with the SWCG %. As it sounds like you will not have automation you will need separate timers for your pump and SWCG. So if you want to run your pump longer that timer can be set for one duration and the other for the SWCG for a shorter period.

With automation, it all gets really easy as you can create separate programs for pump time with SWCG and without SWCG.

Take care.

mknauess,

Are the two separate timers something that my IntelliFlo and IntelliChlor can handle natively or are the timers something I'll need to purchase separately?

- - - Updated - - -

Raw,

There are some advantages to having automation, but in your case, I doubt they outweigh the main disadvantage which is the initial cost... The best time to install automation is when the pool is being built, so that all the plumbing, wiring, and conduits can easily be done. No one "needs" automation, but a pool with a Spa and water features would benefit the most.

The main advantage would be that you could control your pump and SWCG from your PC, tablet, or phone. The automation system allows you to schedule when and how the pool runs.

I was asking about automation only because if you were planning on it, then that would dictate the Salt system that you should buy...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

I understand. I'm an I.T. guy who loves gadgets and being able to do things from my mobile device so I'd love to be able to control the pump and SWG that way, but just not sure all the cost for the automation system would be worth that small perk.

The Intelliflo is programmable for its operation with an internal timer and you can set up to 8 different schedules. The Intellichlor is not. So you would need a timer for it.

With an EasyTouch or Intellitouch, you plug them both into the automation panel and that controls their functions.

Take care.

You don't necessarily need two separate timers. It would only be necessary if your salt cell was so large that you needed to cut back your pump run time to a shorter duration than you find necessary for proper filtering.

I have a Circupool 60 that puts out more chlorine than the IC60, and have them on the same timer without issues. I can go as low as 5% output, which with my 4 hour runtime is low enough even for fall conditions.

Be aware that with the Intelliflo you do not use a timer. It is to be powered directly to an electrical panel and thus is always powered on. The internal programmable timers are then used for operation.

Have you priced out an EasyTouch 4 relay panel, single body of water, with integrated IC power supply? I believe several of the online retailers run a bundle where you get the automation, SWG and valve controllers as a package. It probably works out close to what you’d pay for then individually.

The EasyTouch relays can also be used to control things like landscape lighting or other chemical control components like an IntelliPH acid dosing system. I agree the initial upfront and installation costs are high, but it’s A LOT better than walking out to your equipment pad and throwing switches and valves manually.

The Intelliflo is programmable for its operation with an internal timer and you can set up to 8 different schedules. The Intellichlor is not. So you would need a timer for it.

With an EasyTouch or Intellitouch, you plug them both into the automation panel and that controls their functions.

Take care.

mk,

Could you give me a recommendation on a timer (brand/model) for my SWG if you are saying I'll need a timer for it? Trying to get my final parts list down so I can order.

Thanks!

It also allows you to add FREEZE PROTECTION to your pumping system where you can setup a program to run a very low pump speed when air temps go below freezing. I believe that feature is programmable on the pump all by itself but I’m not sure how the speed controls work.

mk,

Could you give me a recommendation on a timer (brand/model) for my SWG if you are saying I'll need a timer for it? Trying to get my final parts list down so I can order.

Thanks!

I do not have a timer as I have an Easytouch. I will PM someone to chime in.

Take care.

Thanks mk! I guess I'm trying to connect the dots in my head as to why the SWG needs to be on a timer. It's clearly my lack of knowledge on how it all works, but I was thinking the SWG would just do its thing 24/7 to keep the chlorine levels where they need to be. I didn't realize I would need to intervene by setting a timer telling it how long it needs to run, etc. I'm sure it's all simple but maybe someone can clarify for me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.