Pool is clear...
FC- 13.5
CC- 0
TC- 13.5
CH- 1,000
TA- 140
CYA- 80
PH- 7.5

Any suggestions? I'm firing my pool service tomorrow and will try to take care of it myself. I live in San Antonio, TX. Thanks!!

25k gallons
Above Ground
Plaster
Hayward S244T sand filter
AO Smith B-129 pump
Build around 1980
TF-100 test kit
City water (No restriction)

Is your fill water very high in CH or have you been using CalHypo?

You are best to replace about 3/4 of your water. That will reduce your CH and CYA. High CH can scale any type of pool.

Good luck.

I'm not sure what the pool service has been putting in there. The CH of my fill water is 500. Is replacing the water worth it given that my water is so hard?

25k gallons
Above Ground
Plaster
AO Smith B-129 pump
Build around 1980
TF-100 test kit

Dave,

The real problem is your CYA is 80 which means you have to run a pretty high FC level.. See this chart... [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Draining will reduce your CYA and will at least cut your CH in half.

Not sure of the cost where you are, but I can fill my pool for less than $50 bucks... If you tell the city a head of time, they normally will waive the sewer fee..

Jim R.

What is your PH? How did you get such high CH and how are you chlorinating or how do you plan on chlorinating without pool service?

PH is 7.5
Cl reading is orange in color instead of a shade of yellow.

I plan on buying liquid bleach to chlorinate.

25k gallons
Above Ground
Plaster
AO Smith B-129 pump
Build around 1980
TF-100 test kit

Dave,

The real problem is your CYA is 80 which means you have to run a pretty high FC level.. See this chart... [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Draining will reduce your CYA and will at least cut your CH in half.

Not sure of the cost where you are, but I can fill my pool for less than $50 bucks... If you tell the city a head of time, they normally will waive the sewer fee..

Jim R.

If I drain the pool by 1/2-3/4 how many gallons of liquid bleach would I need to add after refill would you say?Just a ball park. I want to be sure I have enough on hand.

25k gallons
Above Ground
Plaster
AO Smith B-129 pump
Build around 1980
TF-100 test kit

If I drain the pool by 1/2-3/4 how many gallons of liquid bleach would I need to add after refill would you say?Just a ball park. I want to be sure I have enough on hand. 25k gallons

Have you used pool math yet, and are you familiar with the CYA/FC chart that we are referencing? If you drained half once refilled (if your fill water CYA is 0) you should have cut the 80 down to 40 and that makes it more manageable.

To determine the FC you use pool math for 25,000 pool at the bottom. You can see if your FC was 0 you could hit a target of 5-7 with 2 128 oz bottles of 8.25 bleach. I don't think you would need that much with an FC of 13.5 now, you might not need much at all initially.

I would also keep Muriatic acid on hand, with your high CH #'s You are going to probably want to keep your PH low and lower the TA to get your CSI in line. I'm not sure as I don't have to manage high CH but others on this thread can tell you more about that.

Cl reading is orange in color instead of a shade of yellow.

You indicated having the TF100 test kit. So do not bother using the K1000 CL test. Use the FAS-DPD (Powder then reagent). The K1000 test is at best just an indicator that chlorine is in the water.

Take care.

Have you used pool math yet, and are you familiar with the CYA/FC chart that we are referencing? If you drained half once refilled (if your fill water CYA is 0) you should have cut the 80 down to 40 and that makes it more manageable.

To determine the FC you use pool math for 25,000 pool at the bottom. You can see if your FC was 0 you could hit a target of 5-7 with 2 128 oz bottles of 8.25 bleach. I don't think you would need that much with an FC of 13.5 now, you might not need much at all initially.

I would also keep Muriatic acid on hand, with your high CH #'s You are going to probably want to keep your PH low and lower the TA to get your CSI in line. I'm not sure as I don't have to manage high CH but others on this thread can tell you more about that.

I'm going to drain half the pool today to try and bring down my CYA levels. There's nothing I can do about my CH level when my fill water is running at 500 CH. I will try to keep my TA down by lowering my PH like you suggested. Ok, I think I understand enough to be dangerous now! Wish me luck!

25k gallons
Above Ground
Plaster
AO Smith B-129 pump
Build around 1980
TF-100 test kit

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You are stating that your fill water CH is 500. Have you checked with your water provider? Looking at the San Antonio water quality report your hardness is reported to be about 250ppm (or ~17 gpg). That is not horrible. It is what I deal with here in the Nevada desert.

Just wondering --

Take care.

I just did three retests. Looks like it's between 325-350. Better than 500 (must of had to much bourbon) but still high.

25k gallons
Above Ground
Plaster
AO Smith B-129 pump
Build around 1980
TF-100 test kit

You are stating that your fill water CH is 500. Have you checked with your water provider? Looking at the San Antonio water quality report your hardness is reported to be about 250ppm (or ~17 gpg). That is not horrible. It is what I deal with here in the Nevada desert.

Just wondering --

Take care.

Last question for today. Is it ok for me to mix the R-0012 when
testing? If I had 5 drops,then mix ,I get a much lower reading.

25k gallons
Above Ground
Plaster
AO Smith B-129 pump
Build around 1980
TF-100 test kit

Update: Drained the pool by half
FC-5
CC-0
TC-5
CH-360
TA-190
CYA-42-45
PH-7.2

Looks pretty good. Maybe add a little MA to bring down my TA? Thanks again.

25k gallons
Above Ground
Plaster
AO Smith B-129 pump
Build around 1980
TF-100 test kit

Do not extrapolate the CYA test results. It is best when testing to fill the vial to a line, say 80, then glance in the vial to see if you can see the dot. If so, fill to the next line, repeat.

So we would say your CYA is 50.

I would not focus on the TA right now. Just manage your pH and FC every few days through the winter. The TA will most likely come down some as your pH will rise fairly fast with that high of TA.

Take care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.