New to TFP from SW Florida. Attempting to replace pool pump timer.

Hello,

I am Robert H. Bernard, a retired engineer living in SW Florida since 2015 in a 3 year-old house that was new in 2013.
It came with an in-ground pool with a pump that had an Intermatic P1353ME 3-circuit controller that worked perfectly for 2 years but since has become erratic (suspect from lighting) and that Intermatic Support has adjudged has failed.

The only programmed mode that we were told about when we came was full speed of the pump with a clock timer,
and it worked perfectly until the pump suddenly started having a mind of its own during the time it was supposed to be off. Sometime running at half speed; sometime half speed; sometime short bursts of full speed on a 6-minute cycle. The Intermatic Support first advised reinstaling the program, which I did, and even after I reported the full extent of the programmed events the controller still malfunctioned and that was when the support said to replace it.

All I wanted to do with the pump was the simple on and off cycle that the P1353ME had been doing.
So from my experience owning seven previous pools I selected a non-electronic and less expensive Intermatic
T104M 208-277v timer I had used successfully in prior circumstances. It also fits in the
P1353ME enclosure.

I have the old timer hanging now and carefully moving the necessary wires from it to the T104M. Suddenly I notice that there is a third hot load wire to move.

When I look at the pump I see a hard-to-read a notice on the case. "This pump must be installed with a two - multi - and variable speed motor controller". I assume that the first circuit of the P1353ME controls the full speed mode and the second and third circuits of the P1353ME controller are for those last two modes.

Since the half speed second mode and whatever the the third mode of the P1353ME was doing, my assumption that I can just cap=off those two load wires. But I am telling all this detail to ask for some confirmations that my assumptions are accurate.

Hoping for an answer or at least a referral to the forum that covers electrical issues.

Thank you,
Bob

Bob,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all pool owners, no matter what their springs are called... :shark:

The key here is to know what pump you have... It sounds to me like you have a two speed pump.

Your timer/control system can't make a single speed pump run at different speeds...

If possible, please post a picture of the side of the pump showing the wiring diagram and the area where the wires are connected to the pump.

I am not familiar with Intermatic timers, but I suspect that you will need a 2 speed model. Assuming you have a 2-speed pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.

You have a two speed pump. It takes 3 power wires. One wire goes to "Common", one goes to "High" and one goes to "Low".

You have two sets of windings in the pump. The Common wire goes to one side of both sets of windings. Then you switch high and low to select which speed.

The T104M is on/off and the T106M switches speeds.

You need two timers. One for on/off and one to switch speeds.

http://waterheatertimer.org/images/T106-T104-600.jpg

Do you have a picture of the pump label?

Thanks to Jim and James who replied to my query.
I probably said too much, and didn't get across that we only needed one speed; high speed.
I have successfully moved the high two load wires that were the connected to the electronic controller and connected them to the mechanical timer.
The pump came on with full speed when I flipped the lever and correctly powered the pump off last night and on again this morning.

Thanks,
Bob

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.