I got the clumpies and what not.... 3 Q's

Jeff Lebowski

May 29, 2014
Virginia Beach
Salt pool. Hayward DE filter. This is my 4th or 5th closing.

When I broke the hayward down for closing I noticed a few things that chapped my backside.

1. The color - BROWN. Now, I THINK that my well water has turned and I am now pumping iron or some other schmutz into my pool through the well water. This summer the water tended to take on a tea color after refilling and the white step surfaces stained. I added Miracle stuff and got my whiteness back. Nice! I also switched to a salt that claims to have additives to minimize iron stain. But, the inside of the filter looked like (golly), and the steps were again losing their pearly whiteness.

I assume that its my well water and that I need to continue to add the Miracle stuff periodically through the season. Correct?

Next spring I am not going to use my well to fill the pool, I will use city water. I drained about one foot of water today to minimize the freeze threat in the pipes and skimmer.

2. The DE clumps in my filter. All over. On top of the "lungs" and in between them. How do I minimize this?

This year I put five scoops of DE into a drywall bucket and added water. I stirred it all up and dumped it into the skimmer in one long pour. Say.....30 seconds. Right or wrong??

3. There are two inlet pipes feeding my filter pump basket. ONE has a 90 degree shut off, the other does not.
My pool has two outlets, the skimmer and one at the bottom of the pool. Common sense tells me that the SKIMMER inlet is the one with the Shut Off Valve. Is my common sense correct?

Reason being, when pumping water OUT of the pool through the main pump, once it gets below the skimmer level the pumps sucks air and stops pumping. IF I were to shut this valve before it sucks air, will it continue to suck water from the bottom drain? I'd like to get it down another 4-6 inches to allow for rainfall this winter.

MANY THANKS!!

Jeff,

DE in a DE filter.. I am amazed... :p I'm not sure what you mean by clumps, but what you describe sounds pretty normal to me. That is how DE works. It is what traps the junk you are trying to filter out. General it coats all of the "lungs" or grids, but often when backwashed, or drained, some of it will fall off into the bottom of the filter housing.

I add DE just like you do, but five scoops may not be enough depends on the size of your scoop and the size of the filter.

If you have two pipes going into your pump then one is the Skimmer and the other is either the Main Drain or a vacuum port. If you know for sure you don't have a vacuum port, then it should be the Main Drain. The only way to know for sure if the pipe with the valve is for the skimmer is to turn it and see.

Every DE filter I have ever cleaned has been a dull greenish brown... Not sure if that is what you are seeing or not.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thanks.

I understand that the DE coats the lungs. I used to use one for filtering a large fish tank. The model I used was glass, and you could see the DE swirl and coat the filter bag. I guess my question is more...How come I get huge blobs (almost like a fist) in one location? Or, am I adding the material incorrectly and these clumps are the evidence? Or, am I busy with the weed and this is totally normal?

Next year I will just close that valve and see if the skimmer still sucks. Then I'll know.

jeff,

What size is your filter? 24, 36, 48, or 60 sq. ft.?

You might be adding the DE a little too fast, but I'm not sure anything is wrong. Next time you clean the filter, take a couple of pics and I suspect you'll get some better answers.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.