First time SLAMming, Combined Chlorine test won't turn clear

papaya

Oct 22, 2017
Central Fl
Hi there! A little over a month we tried doing a stain treatment using Jack's magic 02 safe shock -5lbs, Copper & Scale Stuff, & The blue stuff. We probably didn't give it enough time to work but we weren't seeing a difference and the water was getting cold so decided to stop treatment. Around Nov. 3rd we started trying to bring our pool up to normal levels. We were trying to bring up the chlorine levels slowly, pool store was saying to shock the pool but the free chlorine would still hover at zero. Were just dumping it in as told. We bought the Taylor 2006-K started to SLAM this last Thurs, Nov 10. Our first reading (using 25 ml) was:

FC .6
CC Unable to get the color to change from dark pink, were wasting drops at this point
PH 7.4
TA 80
CYA 40

We've been able to get the FC up our target range of 16 (now using a 10ml sample size). Last night it was 19, down to 13.5 this morning. I tried testing the CC again but 60 drops in, STILL no change from dark pink to clear! The pool water is crystal clear, although once we started slamming it got cloudy white for a few days. There's no smell, no green anything. I've searched the forum and can't find any reference of a CC reading of over 30+.

Would appreciate any insight or suggestions! Thanks in advance!!

Welcome to the forum!

I am quite sure it has to do with the stain stuff you added. But we have others on the forum much more conversant in that than I!

I will get them to chime in.

Take care.

Greetings and welcome.

In my own metal battles, I've been focused on iron, and hence do not have direct experience with Jack's cooper product, except knowing that it elevates the CC. I suggest you reach out to the very knowledgable tech at Jacks Magic. The number is on the site at http://www.jacksmagic.com

I am also curious as to why you're slamming. If you do not have any visible signs of algae, I suggest you consider just a partially elevated FC for a while and see if that holds -- not worrying about reading ccs right now. My reasoning is that your low FC was from the FC fighting the copper stuff, which is quite typical after metal treatments of every kind, and especially true of copper treatment. You will not "pass" the slam because your ccs will be artificially high from the copper product that you used. So it will just drive you crazy ;)

Because I use metal sequestrants, when I used to close the pool for winter, for example, I would NOT bring it to slam levels, but instead, just under. Otherwise you're actively oxidizing (aka wearing down) the sequestrant.

And using the TFP method, I've never had to slam any other time, which is a wonderful thing ;)

We've been able to get the FC up our target range of 16 (now using a 10ml sample size). Last night it was 19, down to 13.5 this morning. I tried testing the CC again but 60 drops in, STILL no change from dark pink to clear! The pool water is crystal clear, although once we started slamming it got cloudy white for a few days. There's no smell, no green anything. I've searched the forum and can't find any reference of a CC reading of over 30+.

Would appreciate any insight or suggestions! Thanks in advance!!

Is this a testing mix up?
I don't understand this, after you have the FC number, you add 5 drops of 0003 to the same water (should turn pink) then you go back to the 0871 to turn it back to clear. Still with the same water.
If this is what you are doing, I have no clue what is going on. :confused:

Is this a testing mix up?
I don't understand this, after you have the FC number, you add 5 drops of 0003 to the same water (should turn pink) then you go back to the 0871 to turn it back to clear. Still with the same water.
If this is what you are doing, I have no clue what is going on. :confused:
As mentioned in the thread, the abnormal CC reading is most likely due to the use of metal sequestrants.

Thanks for the replies! I'm new to TFP and from what I understand from Pool School that is if your FC drops to zero you need to SLAM, hence my attempts at slamming. I will follow your advice swapwoman, it is starting to drive me a little nuts! heikejohn- That's exactly how I'm testing the CC. Just going to give it time and save my 0871 :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.