Riverside, CA - Backyard Overhaul

I remember when the tile guy did the stacked stone on my round spa face. The grunt put his head down when the boss-man assigned him to do the outside face. The stacked stone came in 2’x4’ pre-fab’ed “sheets” and the guy had to cut and align it all to a curved radius. The poor dude was out there for two days straight cutting, snapping, shimming and gluing this jig-saw puzzle of blocks into place with absolutely no gaps or visible glue lines. You could tell he was hating life but he was dedicated...and it was early July so it was like 110F out in direct sunlight.

On the second day when he came back by himself to finish the job (he had about half left), I put a cooler with lots of water and Gatorade out for him as well as some bags of salty snacks....I think I can still see the Cheeto dust fingerprints on some of the stones ::epds::

I MISS Cheetosssss :( I WANT Cheetosssss :( I NEED Cheetos... *going to check the date on my next ticket to Canada, and wipe my chin.

Wow, Brian, that looks first-class and is really coming together.

I'm guessing someone has some very jealous neighbors right about now....that is a sweet looking backyard!

Is that a gap I see under the gas grille :scratch:

- - - Updated - - -

A construction question - so how are the rafters secured to the beams on the lanai? Is it just a matter of nailing them securely once they're in place or is there a special fastener plate that one uses? Just curious...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
NICE! That is awesome looking work! SO much done!

Matt, they are held on by his used up bubble gum! That is a quiet secret! :gone:

Kim:kim:

I figured he just had Wanger holding it up and then Brian would say, "Put your finger right there...", then he'd whack the beam with his roofing hammer. Blood & coagulants makes for a pretty adhesive....I will have to try the bubble-gum trick some day, saves on bandages and trips to the ER....

Brian ur stainless doors are they flush with the stone butted to it or does the stainless overlap on top of stone? I brick is wonky cause they r jumbos and I’m getting worried about a clean install. I know the stainless is suppose to overlap onto brick or finished surface but I’m considering trimmed out the opening in mahogany (or ipe) and butting brick to that so the access doors fit snug over the mahogany.

My my buddy Dave who is my cabinet guy Wants me to to just have him build me mahogany (or ipe) cabinets that we will just butt to with brick. He doesn’t think we should do the stainless cause of the look I have going on with the ceilings I doing and our style. I think he is just jealous he isn’t getting any action in my backyard. LOl

The ipe is really nice. Oil for life only if u want. My ipe will be under cover so no need maintain really.

jim

I'm guessing someone has some very jealous neighbors right about now....that is a sweet looking backyard!

Is that a gap I see under the gas grille :scratch:

- - - Updated - - -

A construction question - so how are the rafters secured to the beams on the lanai? Is it just a matter of nailing them securely once they're in place or is there a special fastener plate that one uses? Just curious...

The gap is there because I need to take the BBQ out to fix my mistake. Thanks for pointing that out :brickwall:

The rafters were notched and then had a Simpson HL33 through bolted to each side with a 1/2"x7" bolt. Those were then anchored to the beam with 1/2"x5" lag bolts.

And you though they "just got nailed in...."

IMG_20180323_181714302.jpg

IMG_20180323_140920414.jpg

Check out my custom transformer box that houses 4 intermatic transformers and a GFI outlet!

IMG_20180323_163103163.jpg

IMG_20180323_162549764.jpg

Joannie has nothing on me...

IMG_20180323_163254182.jpg

That box is a work of art for sure! Nice, neat, organized just like it should be but seldom is done by others.

Yeah I guess those bolts and such would work better than bubble gum :roll:

Look at your mud work! NICE! J will be jelly when she sees it!

Those poor hands/fingers :( they show all of your hard work.

Kim:kim:

Someone did a lot of stucco work today. Do you do that all yourself or do you sub it out?

I was merely pointing out the flaw because you mentioned something about the BBQ in a previous thread and I was treating it like a “Where’s Waldo” puzzle....I’m sure you’ll fix it and no one will ever know....

Thanks for the pictures of your fastener work. It just reinforces to me how absolutely sub-standard and hack-tastic much of the construction work around here is....Tucson could use a professional such as yourself.

Plastic box :scratch: ?

I like your attempt but I can only give you an 8.5 on execution. Plastic is no bueno in my opinion...gonna get hot in there with four bad boys chugging away, you got any vent holes?

Someone did a lot of stucco work today. Do you do that all yourself or do you sub it out?

I was merely pointing out the flaw because you mentioned something about the BBQ in a previous thread and I was treating it like a “Where’s Waldo” puzzle....I’m sure you’ll fix it and no one will ever know....

Thanks for the pictures of your fastener work. It just reinforces to me how absolutely sub-standard and hack-tastic much of the construction work around here is....Tucson could use a professional such as yourself.

I use a sub for the stucco but if you recall from the Corona build thread, he is horribly unreliable. I continue to use him because he is like family to me (the frustrating kind).

I've been trying to get him here for almost 2 weeks now with no answer and no returned call. I see his truck with the mixer pull up today but he's not in it, it's his sister. In her broken English and my broken Spanish we decide that she'll mix and I'll trowel.

She said he's vacationing in Mexico for 2 weeks... Must be nice

I had other things to do today but but at least the fireplace it's a little closer to completion.

She was nice enough to snap some action shots of me and send them to her brother :laughblue:

I use a sub for the stucco but if you recall from the Corona build thread, he is horribly unreliable. I continue to use him because he is like family to me (the frustrating kind).

I've been trying to get him here for almost 2 weeks now with no answer and no returned call. I see his truck with the mixer pull up today but he's not in it, it's his sister. In her broken English and my broken Spanish we decide that she'll mix and I'll trowel.

She said he's vacationing in Mexico for 2 weeks... Must be nice

I had other things to do today but but at least the fireplace it's a little closer to completion.

That’s hilarious....you should have posted that on YouTube!! Seriously, we need to attach a GoPro to you and get you a selfie stick and we could make some great YouTube videos.

:bowdown:

Let's make a bet. I say it'll be fine and you're saying it'll burst into a ball of flames. The loser buys :cheers:

I’ll take that bet, but you have to load each transformer to its fully rated 300W output. I wanna hear those bad-boys humming....

dbtgallery.php

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.