Can anyone identify this item, suspect for pool closing possibly

Robrike

Bronze Supporter
May 8, 2017
Elizabethton TN
Hi,
I am prepping to close my pool this week,,, new home owner and first time closing. Have read pool school info on closing, kept my chemicals in check and water beautiful all summer with pool school instructions. I was going thru a bin previous owners had with plugs and the skimmer gizmo and saw this item. Was wondering if it is to connect shop vac to one end on blower and use other end somehow to blow water out of pipes.

Have a 29,000 gallon inground pool with SWG,,,,, heater was leaking and was plumbed out of system by me till spring when I will reconnect and call home warranty guys. I'm starting a SLAM today to prep for closing Wednesday by my wife and I. Is that contraption in photos a way to blow water out of lines? It has some sort of squeeze valve on it it looks like.

Thanks in advance for any insight you could provide.

Robert Rike
872e25a0227427f8007b4ca6d6a40cdb.jpg
575ada37890f0c2370a0e52ab608968a.jpg
f2ed426e30d36e8c04b543760511bf8f.jpg
bdb95fb0955a2671f0785490aedf9e1c.jpg

That is a control valve for an automatic suction side pool cleaner. It installs in the skimmer pipe with the arrow pointing down, and the segmented vacuum hose fits on the other end. Anything that looks somewhat like the cleaner in this link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006H44N38/ref=asc_df_B006H44N385249143/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B006H44N38&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167163693584&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3453905505707826335&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9027636&hvtargid=pla-310399318755
was probably used in the pool at some point in time.

The short answer is no, it won't help you blow out the lines. This thread may have the information you need on the correct part to blow out the lines:
The concept of closing an in ground swimming pool

Thanks Zea for linking my post.

Robert:

It is very possible that the adapter you have shown is designed to be hooked up to a blower and plumbed somewhere in the lines. I have seen the end hooked up to a hose and modified to a Cyclone, without a modified cover. Neither here nor there. Can you please describe your pool in detail (returns, skimmers, main drains & do you have a cleaner port).

Also, please take a picture of your equipment pad from the top, front and side angles (This will help us visualize your system). If you have unions, the adapter may have been hooked up to a blower and used there (hard to tell). Probability is you have 1.5" plumbing as well.

What type of blower will you be using and where do you plan on hooking it up to? Thanks!

Robert:

It is very possible that the adapter you have shown is designed to be hooked up to a blower and plumbed somewhere in the lines. I have seen the end hooked up to a hose and modified to a Cyclone, without a modified cover. Neither here nor there. Can you please describe your pool in detail (returns, skimmers, main drains & do you have a cleaner port).

Also, please take a picture of your equipment pad from the top, front and side angles (This will help us visualize your system). If you have unions, the adapter may have been hooked up to a blower and used there (hard to tell). Probability is you have 1.5" plumbing as well.

What type of blower will you be using and where do you plan on hooking it up to? Thanks!
Hi.

It is a rectangular 29,000 gallon according to records of local pool company. I have a main drain, 2 skimmers and a cleaner line. The cleaner line has a flip open cover in the side of pool to plug Zodiac cleaner into. The pad has a sand filter, heater that is plumbed out currently and valves coming into suction side of pump to shut off individual skimmers and main drain as well as cleaner line. There are a total of 2 returns in the pool.

I will attach a couple of photos of the pad. My plan was to use my small compressor and crank the pressure down to about 8psi to start out and connect via a 1/4 inch NPT fitting if pump has one. Piping is 1.5 inch but no unions. Plan to install some this winter. If the compressor is not an option I figured I'd try my 16 gallon shop vac as blower with a 2.5 to 1.5 inch adapter pushing into suction side via hose coming into basket. I think I could possibly bend it to fit in there. I am wide open to suggestions though.

Thanks for the ID on the valve and any suggestions you might have.

Robert Rike
42bc44d84834ac2cb4a0d6b77f4b92a7.jpg
edc2b416bd6d6d2092f79dac57e5e14d.jpg
b0f687627921c575b78fbca88260a777.jpg
f519886b128ffb888f7add912711ef17.jpg

Your system is pretty straight forward and you have the right idea. Use the shop vac to siphon water out of the skimmers as you are clearing the lines. Isolate each area. Shut off 3 valves and work on the skimmer. When done, work on the other skimmer. With the cleaner line in the pool, as well as the returns, try burping the system if you do not have enough air volume.

Do you have a plug for the cleaner line? Having a second hand at the pump really helps while you are closing the returns and cleaner line. I am assuming your cleaner line is of a "suction type" as you have 4 shut off valves on the suction side.

You will be successful with the compressor and please report back when done. Glad to help, but please ask any questions if you run into any problems. Are you also planning on removing your SWG and do you have a dummy pipe? I ordered mine on E-Bay for about $32.

Hi.

It is a rectangular 29,000 gallon according to records of local pool company. I have a main drain, 2 skimmers and a cleaner line. The cleaner line has a flip open cover in the side of pool to plug Zodiac cleaner into. The pad has a sand filter, heater that is plumbed out currently and valves coming into suction side of pump to shut off individual skimmers and main drain as well as cleaner line. There are a total of 2 returns in the pool.

I will attach a couple of photos of the pad. My plan was to use my small compressor and crank the pressure down to about 8psi to start out and connect via a 1/4 inch NPT fitting if pump has one. Piping is 1.5 inch but no unions. Plan to install some this winter. If the compressor is not an option I figured I'd try my 16 gallon shop vac as blower with a 2.5 to 1.5 inch adapter pushing into suction side via hose coming into basket. I think I could possibly bend it to fit in there. I am wide open to suggestions though.

Thanks for the ID on the valve and any suggestions you might have.

Robert Rike
42bc44d84834ac2cb4a0d6b77f4b92a7.jpg
edc2b416bd6d6d2092f79dac57e5e14d.jpg
b0f687627921c575b78fbca88260a777.jpg
f519886b128ffb888f7add912711ef17.jpg
Just to add to above, those photos are before I plumbed leaky heater out. There is a union on one line of new plumbing but nothing on the slightly leaking flex hose side going from pump up to filter. It is getting changed out with a union along with a union on the line off the right side of filter tha t runs underground to front of yard to pump water out. That will happen sometime this winter I hope.

Lastly, the skimmers each have 2 holes in them so I assume one gets a plug and one gets a skimmer gizmo which I have 2 off.

Thanks again,

Robert

Your system is pretty straight forward and you have the right idea. Use the shop vac to siphon water out of the skimmers as you are clearing the lines. Isolate each area. Shut off 3 valves and work on the skimmer. When done, work on the other skimmer. With the cleaner line in the pool, as well as the returns, try burping the system if you do not have enough air volume.

Do you have a plug for the cleaner line? Having a second hand at the pump really helps while you are closing the returns and cleaner line. I am assuming your cleaner line is of a "suction type" as you have 4 shut off valves on the suction side.

You will be successful with the compressor and please report back when done. Glad to help, but please ask any questions if you run into any problems. Are you also planning on removing your SWG and do you have a dummy pipe? I ordered mine on E-Bay for about $32.
Hey, I don't have a dummy pipe but my cell will be getting replaced in spring as well. It is on its last leg and reads well below my 3200 salt level, I get about 2500 on readout. Have cleaned cell with no change. New cell in my future. The cleaner is on suction side.

How do I get antifreeze into lines after blowing out for peace of mind. I assume if I blow the lines out properly it isn't needed. What is the consensus on antifreeze (pool or rv type) in the lines???

Robert

What type of plug for cleaner line are you referring to? Just a regular plug like I would use for the returns??

Sorry, pretty new to this but quick learn usually. :)

Robert

Lastly, the skimmers each have 2 holes in them so I assume one gets a plug and one gets a skimmer gizmo which I have 2 off.

You may have a combination skimmer/main drain. You can use the plug with an NPT fitting on it.

Winter Pool Plug with Valve for 1-1/2 Inch Pipe and 1-3/4 Inch Fitting, with Blow Thru Valve - No. 9 | AQWPV-9

What type of plug for cleaner line are you referring to? Just a regular plug like I would use for the returns??

I would have to see the cleaner line. Is it threaded? Try placing your threaded plug in there before closing to see if it fits. If not threaded, then you will need a black expansion plug. It appears the ones in the picture are all threaded.

Outside of this, I would watch as many videos as possible to learn the closings. Not every video is right or wrong, just how they closed the pool. I have seen videos with pool professionals that make absolutely no sense and they are doing it the hard way. You have to figure out how to take a volume of air to remove water in your lines. The concept is all the same, the methods vary from pool to pool because of how the equipment pad was constructed. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

How do I get antifreeze into lines after blowing out for peace of mind. I assume if I blow the lines out properly it isn't needed. What is the consensus on antifreeze (pool or rv type) in the lines???

No consensus on the antifreeze, just a preference. You can pour antifreeze into your skimmer lines after you clear them out. You can pour antifreeze into your pump basket after your close the lines and clear again for a quick few seconds just to move the antifreeze in the lines (remember that you will have to remove one of the plugs and get the antifreeze in the lines). I see that you have unions at the valves, so you may want to disconnect after clearing the lines and pouring some antifreeze down the lines. The main drain is locked with air, so no antifreeze is needed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Robert:

Catanzaro : you thinking what I'm thinking buddy ? Lol

OP:
That's the kreepy krawly cleaner suction cleaner cuff, to attach cleaner hoses unit to your skimmer.

That is a control valve for an automatic suction side pool cleaner. It installs in the skimmer pipe with the arrow pointing down, and the segmented vacuum hose fits on the other end. Anything that looks somewhat like the cleaner in this link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006H44N38/ref=asc_df_B006H44N385249143/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B006H44N38&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167163693584&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3453905505707826335&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9027636&hvtargid=pla-310399318755
was probably used in the pool at some point in time.

The short answer is no, it won't help you blow out the lines. This thread may have the information you need on the correct part to blow out the lines:
The concept of closing an in ground swimming pool

Actually it will certainly assist in blowing out your lines & I bet you have some hose segments around too.. looks like you stumble on a jackpot!

43d93b1edc15151379b8999fdfe0e387.jpg

de639ba11378665d536c223e8bacd5ce.jpg

Actually it will certainly assist in blowing out your lines & I bet you have some hose segments around too.. looks like you stumble on a jackpot!

43d93b1edc15151379b8999fdfe0e387.jpg

de639ba11378665d536c223e8bacd5ce.jpg
Hi everyone.

Thanks for all the replies. I've been stuck at work all day on a beautiful 75 degree day. All I could think about was all the time I was losing sitting here waiting for 7AM in the morning to get off work. Of course they are calling for rain the rest of the week. It did give me time to watch some YouTube videos on closing pool in between calls we ran for work. Sourced a few items I will need online and put together a semi rough game plan.

I'm sure I'll be back on tomorrow with more questions. I'll keep you posted on how the closing goes.

Appreciate all the replies. This forum is incredibly helpful.

Robert

Hi everyone.

Thanks for all the replies. I've been stuck at work all day on a beautiful 75 degree day. All I could think about was all the time I was losing sitting here waiting for 7AM in the morning to get off work. Of course they are calling for rain the rest of the week. It did give me time to watch some YouTube videos on closing pool in between calls we ran for work. Sourced a few items I will need online and put together a semi rough game plan.

I'm sure I'll be back on tomorrow with more questions. I'll keep you posted on how the closing goes.

Appreciate all the replies. This forum is incredibly helpful.

Robert
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

Just following up, yesterday I finally closed my pool myself. Well, all the lines are blown out and some antifreeze added for that warm and cozy feeling on my first try. I rigged up a fitting to screw into drain fitting of pump and used my air compressor and about 20psi of pressure. All went well, store all drain plugs in pump basket.

Didn't get cover on or the ladder and railing out. Bolts are out but they are stuck solid. I'm working today but will wrap that up tomorrow. Just wanted to thank everyone for their advice and suggestions and follow up that I did get it closed.

Have a Great Holiday!!!

Robert

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

Just following up, yesterday I finally closed my pool myself. Well, all the lines are blown out and some antifreeze added for that warm and cozy feeling on my first try. I rigged up a fitting to screw into drain fitting of pump and used my air compressor and about 20psi of pressure. All went well, store all drain plugs in pump basket.

Didn't get cover on or the ladder and railing out. Bolts are out but they are stuck solid. I'm working today but will wrap that up tomorrow. Just wanted to thank everyone for their advice and suggestions and follow up that I did get it closed.

Have a Great Holiday!!!

Robert
Here is the valve and fittings I rigged up to close pool. Cheap and easy setup.
6929af62e67c8213416b9ae68ba2f423.jpg
cdc5b204044f13aa89f90eb4ac72ac16.jpg
878a1973d3562b29ba82ff7cfe417e6b.jpg

Congratulations! Can you explain why the extra fittings. Are you planning on leaving the shut off valve in during the season? Thank you.
Hey.

I just made up that contraption with a male end to connect my air hose directly to and a shut off valve in line with it then a female coupling that could connect to the male coupling that screwed into the pump drain hole. That way as I shut off a skimmer valve I could close off the air going into pump basket at same time and let compressor build up pressure.

It helped make it more of a one person operation that way. I may have over-engineered it but for my first time it gave me some peace of mind.

Next step tomorrow will be to get the ladder and hand rail out. I watched some YouTube videos and realize now there may be a wedge in there that didn't drop so that gives me a starting point tomorrow. I think I'll also replumb the pad as well with unions for the sand filter so I can take the top off and deep clean it come spring and warmer weather.

All in all the closing was easier than I expected for the first try . Not a big deal to blow those lines out and add a little RV antifreeze for peace of mind. Glad I didn't give in and pay a pool company to do it. :) This forum helped make it painless and quick with all the information contained in the boards.

Thanks again to everyone for all the help.

Robert

That way as I shut off a skimmer valve I could close off the air going into pump basket at same time and let compressor build up pressure.

That is what I was thinking, but wanted to see if any other possibilities.

I may have over-engineered it but for my first time it gave me some peace of mind.

Not, at all. I copied the idea of the modified cover to make life easier. Some may say too much, but I say simplicity.

Concept of closing an IG Swimming Pool The concept of closing an in ground swimming pool

Modified Cover for Pool Modified Cover for Hayward Super Pump for Closing Swimming Pool
Next step tomorrow will be to get the ladder and hand rail out. I watched some YouTube videos and realize now there may be a wedge in there that didn't drop so that gives me a starting point tomorrow.

Make sure you bang down the bolts as you are loosening them. A few turns at first, bang down and try to remove. Then repeat the process and count how many times you have done this and keep in your mind for next year.

I think I'll also replumb the pad as well with unions for the sand filter so I can take the top off and deep clean it come spring and warmer weather.

Personally, I would leave alone and when you eventually need to replace the pump, then work on the project. But, your choice.

All in all the closing was easier than I expected for the first try . Not a big deal to blow those lines out and add a little RV antifreeze for peace of mind. Glad I didn't give in and pay a pool company to do it. This forum helped make it painless and quick with all the information contained in the boards.

With anything, saving money is great. There are some pool professionals out there that are good at what they do and earn every penny. Then, again there are bad apples in every basket. Depending on the area, some pool closings are as little as $150 and some as high as $750. One person reported over $1,000, but never described what the services were.

Thanks again to everyone for all the help.

That is what we are here for.

Give it a week & check main drain for airlock retention. Those valves are not positive seal valves & can leak at the nuts & stem shaft.. if you lost the airlock replace it & we will coach you with the "what's & hows"

I chop them out when I come across them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.