Bonding question

Oct 28, 2017
Fort Smith, Ar.
So I have read the codes and if I’m correct I don’t have to bond my pool ????
I have a 18’ round pool with a vinyl liner I have a gfci outlet at the pump with a 20 amp breaker in the house. My cable is ran in ground using 12/3 direct burial cable. Also I have my pump ground to a bolt on my pool wall. I also have a deck around half of my pool.

Thoughts ????

You read things wrong... Per the NEC- 2014/2017 versions.

Any pool with greater than or equal to 42 inches of water must be bonded.

Direct burial cable is not acceptable for use around pools. Direct burial cable has an un-insulated ground conductor and code requires that only insulated ground conductors be used.

A wooden deck has nothing to do with bonding at all and does not exempt you from needing bonding.

The electrical grounding system is NEVER directly connected to the bonding system of the pool. In the US current code there are no grounding rods in any part of a bonding system.

A quick break down of AGP bonding goes like this:

Loop of #8 bare copper wire arund the entire pool buried 3-6" down and 18-24" from the wall of the pool
Connect that loop to the wall/frame of the pool in 4 spots spread equally around the pool (in your case just the wall)
Connect your equipment (pump, heater, SWG) to the loop
Connect your water bonding fitting to the loop
Connect any thing metal permanently installed a within 5 feet of the pool to the loop such as ladders, fences, metal conduit,or decorative metal flamingos. Things like patio furniture or tables that you move around don't count.

Everything in the loop is connected with #8 bare copper wire
Split bolt connectors will be used where two pieces of wire come together
Only connect to equipment at the factory installed bonding fitting

Aren't you contradicting yourself?

"Direct burial cable is not acceptable for use around pools. Direct burial cable has an un-insulated ground conductor and code requires that only insulated ground conductors be used.

"Loop of #8 bare copper wire around the entire pool buried 3-6" down and 18-24" from the wall of the pool"

My electrician buried my #8 BARE Copper Wire around the pool. It was to code. I called the Building Inspector to confirm.

You read things wrong... Per the NEC- 2014/2017 versions.

Any pool with greater than or equal to 42 inches of water must be bonded.

Direct burial cable is not acceptable for use around pools. Direct burial cable has an un-insulated ground conductor and code requires that only insulated ground conductors be used.

A wooden deck has nothing to do with bonding at all and does not exempt you from needing bonding.

The electrical grounding system is NEVER directly connected to the bonding system of the pool. In the US current code there are no grounding rods in any part of a bonding system.

A quick break down of AGP bonding goes like this:

Loop of #8 bare copper wire arund the entire pool buried 3-6" down and 18-24" from the wall of the pool
Connect that loop to the wall/frame of the pool in 4 spots spread equally around the pool (in your case just the wall)
Connect your equipment (pump, heater, SWG) to the loop
Connect your water bonding fitting to the loop
Connect any thing metal permanently installed a within 5 feet of the pool to the loop such as ladders, fences, metal conduit,or decorative metal flamingos. Things like patio furniture or tables that you move around don't count.

Everything in the loop is connected with #8 bare copper wire
Split bolt connectors will be used where two pieces of wire come together
Only connect to equipment at the factory installed bonding fitting

Rox,

I'll let CJ clarify, but he is talking about two different things.. the Direct wire cable is being used to power the pool equipment and is not part of the Bonding.. The ground wire in the direct wire cable is not insulated which is not allowed.

The #8 copper bonding wire is just bare copper and not insulated and it is buried..

Jim R.

As Jim said when I say direct burial cable I mean type UF cable which looks like regular Romex cable that you have in your house but is usually grey in color and can be used outside either above or below grade. It is generally 2 or 3 conductors with an unsheilded ground wire. Electrical code prohibits bare electrical ground conductors on anything connected to or burried within 5 feet of the pool.

The bonding system being totally separate from the pools electrical system is made from only bare copper wire. Special exceptions are made for underwater lights when it comes to bonding. But that's a whole nother story.

Sorry if the original response was confusing on that point.

As discussed in this post, UF/direct burial cable is typically used for line voltage/branch circuits.
I'm not an electrician but the way I read the code is that uninsulated ground wires cannot be used for hazardous areas. Non-hazardous areas could use uninsulated ground wires. And based on what I saw in the code, only hazardous areas (defined as areas around the pool or places where chemicals are stored or areas around pool equipment) needed to have the insulated ground OR cable needed to be inside of a conduit.
Couldn't you just use standard UF cable from the breaker box, then underground, then up through conduit into the receptacle at the pool area?

You are still left with the UF cable termination on the equipment pad which is against code. The equipment pad is by code considered part of the pool envelope.

Besides that tho by the time you bought the UF cable and conduit you will have spent way more money than just buying THHN/WN wire and conduit and doing it the right way. There are lots of places you can use UF cable anything to do with a pool just isn't one of those places.

Rox,

I'll let CJ clarify, but he is talking about two different things.. the Direct wire cable is being used to power the pool equipment and is not part of the Bonding.. The ground wire in the direct wire cable is not insulated which is not allowed.

The #8 copper bonding wire is just bare copper and not insulated and it is buried..

Jim R.

Thanks Jim and Chuck.

The original question pertained to bonding, not a direct power wire. See the ??? Not being as arse though it may sound it. So i was a little puzzled with Chucks answer. Thanks for clarifying!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.