Pool turned dirty 1 day after CLOSING

Jul 7, 2017
Corbin, KY
First year with a pool and this place has been amazing for keeping my pool sparkling and clear all summer. I decided to close the pool yesterday as the temps are steadily in the 60s of a day and 50s or lower of a night. I brought the chlorine to SLAM level even though it was already clear. I disconnected the hoses, removed all the necessary hardware and of course drained the water below the skimmer a few inches. Well today I went out just to check and the pool is dirty, one day after I closed it so now I can't clean it! By dirty I mean there is a very thin layer of light brownish stuff on the bottom, I can brush it and it just clouds up the water around it into a brownish cloud. I can brush it all to one side of the pool and the other side looks sparkling clean lol How am I supposed to keep the pool clean if it gets dirty just 1 day with it being closed? It's in a very open yard with no foliage around it, there are no leaves in the pool and I have yet to decide if I want to purchase a cover since it's in such an open spot. Do I need to connect everything back, fill it back up with water and SLAM it again? Won't it just get dirty after I "close" it again??

Yeah, I think chemnut is correct.....you killed algae when you brought the FC to SLAM value.

See if you can pick it up from the steps. dirt is gritty and you can feel it between your thumb and fingers. dead algae will just "whoosh" away when you try to capture it.

Yeah, I think chemnut is correct.....you killed algae when you brought the FC to SLAM value.

See if you can pick it up from the steps. dirt is gritty and you can feel it between your thumb and fingers. dead algae will just "whoosh" away when you try to capture it.

I suppose you may be right then. I can't pick it up, soon as I get close it just kinda dissolves away into a little cloud. I should definitely hook it all back up and add water so I can filter it out then right?

Turn your skimmer into a bottom sucker :)
Hook up your gear again
Prime it with a bucket with pool water through the skimmer until it is full
Preload vac hose with a garden hose to remove most of the air, out your vac head in the bottom of the pool
Turn on pump then very quickly put vac hose vac plate on skimmer
You will get air runnning through your pump/sand filter at first but it clears out
I run mine like this pretty much every year at fall draw down. Keeps up circulation and allows a final vac of the pool before the dreaded winter cover goes on.

Your water level is now low. So you would have to fill the vac hose some other way. I have a bucket of water on hand to add into the skimmer when my water is below the bottom of the skimmer.

Ok I guess this might need moved to another thread but I've hooked it back up and refilled the water. I vacuumed out the brown stuff the best I could and have had my FC at 12 for 2 days now. The water is still clear (it has been this whole time) and when I brush the bottom and sides I can't see any brown clouds forming, but the water still looks hazy / cloudy. You can see the bottom but there is a cloudiness to it. How do I get it back to completely clear? Or can I just close it down and worry about cloudiness next year when I open?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well another day and it's still hazy. Turned my pump off to give it a rest overnight... Brushed the bottom this morning and wouldn't ya know the fine dust / dead algae or whatever it is was back. This is very frustrating. I just want to close it down before freezing weather sets in here in Kentucky but this dust junk won't go away. I had my FC at 12 yesterday around noon, tested today and it's at 6. Seems like with the sun and 24 hours that 6 would be a normal chlorine loss. I work evenings so can't do overnight test until this weekend which I was hoping to get it closed tomorrow but guess not. So frustrated :(

FC - 6
CC - 0
TA - 140
PH - 7.8
CYA - 30

Well another day and it's still hazy. Turned my pump off to give it a rest overnight... Brushed the bottom this morning and wouldn't ya know the fine dust / dead algae or whatever it is was back. This is very frustrating. I just want to close it down before freezing weather sets in here in Kentucky but this dust junk won't go away. I had my FC at 12 yesterday around noon, tested today and it's at 6. Seems like with the sun and 24 hours that 6 would be a normal chlorine loss. I work evenings so can't do overnight test until this weekend which I was hoping to get it closed tomorrow but guess not. So frustrated :(

FC - 6
CC - 0
TA - 140
PH - 7.8
CYA - 30
To completely eliminate algae, you need to complete a proper SLAM Process. Bringing FC to shock level here and there is not going to eliminate algae.

Your choices are to either hook everything up, top off the pool, and perform a proper SLAM, or deal with a green pool at opening.

If this were my pool, I would clear it now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.