Help figuring out turnover rate for my pool

Jul 5, 2016
El Dorado County, CA
I've read through the Jandy FAQs and looked at much of the related material in Pool School, but I cannot figure out how to arrive at how long it takes my pump to cycle through the pool water one time.

Can anyone help me with a simple formula? I don't know the size of the PVC pipes but everything was professionally installed so I would assume it pumps at at least the minimum turnover rate.

Thanks for any input you can offer!!!

ow,

The idea that you have to "turn-over" a specific amount of pool water each day is an old wife's tale... it is just not true.

Running your pump for three of four hours per day is generally plenty for normal circulation.

It is your pool and you can run your pump as long as you want, but unless you have a salt cell, or some other reason to run longer, it is not necessary to properly sanitize your pool.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Turnover is not something you need to be concerned with.

See Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

Take care.

I did read that, but I believe it would help me determine the run time if I could know how long it takes to cycle the water once. Electricity is very expensive here (we have a monopoly utility essentially, that raises rates whenever it wants) and I need to figure the run time accurately.

In winter I'd like to cut back to almost nothing when the water temp is very low. But I would like to have a more accurate way to judge the run time time and be able to tweak it up or down from there.

My pool volume is about 1/3 larger the size of yours.

I have run the pump for 2 hours only each day (when water is above 60 degrees) for
the last 2 years. I do admittedly run it longer when guests are over on hot days to
keep the surface free of nearby tree debris.

It works perfectly fine. And pretty much guaranteed to work for you unless you run an swg.

I don't even run my pump daily when the water hits around 55. And I don't dose bleach when
it's under 50. I had no algae issues doing it this way. I usually will run the pump for an
hour or so on weekends if bleach needs to be added.

My pool volume is about 1/3 larger the size of yours.

I have run the pump for 2 hours only each day (when water is above 60 degrees) for
the last 2 years. I do admittedly run it longer when guests are over on hot days to
keep the surface free of nearby tree debris.

It works perfectly fine. And pretty much guaranteed to work for you unless you run an swg.

I don't even run my pump daily when the water hits around 55. And I don't dose bleach when
it's under 50. I had no algae issues doing it this way. I usually will run the pump for an
hour or so on weekends if bleach needs to be added.

I've also been running mine for two hours daily for the past year and that seems to work well in the summer. But if I can cut back on that I wouldn't mind. Prior to that I ran it for about four hours daily based on rather general advice from the people who set the pump up. It was delivered sort of like, "Yeah, I'm guessing four hours a day should be good." Did not seem to be based on hard info at all. That obviously is a real waste of energy since the two-hour run works just fine. So, in the tradition of DIY and TFP I'm trying to get as much hard data as I can.

Thanks for your comments. They pretty much support what I was already doing. And this winter, I don't plan to run the pump much at all unless I'm adding chemicals as you said.

Thanks again.

Right on.

Is your pump a variable speed?

That's the only other option I can think of that would lessen your electric bill.

I've been tempted to go 2-speed, but my low run time and electric rate
isn't much of a hit on my monthly bill.

OutWest said:
It was delivered sort of like, "Yeah, I'm guessing four hours a day should be good." Did not seem to be based on hard info at all.
Read the pump run time study in my signature. The results basically state that most pools can get away with as little as 2 hours per day (independent of turnover) and at most 4 hours per day.

Every pool is a little different so trial and error is the best way to determine the minimum run time for your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.