Pool closing--cost too much and can I do it myself?? Need help!

Clyde

Jun 6, 2016
Western Connecticut
Hello. I live in CT and this is my third season with my gunite inground pool. The details of the pool are in my signature line below. The pool guy opens and closes my pool, and I take care of the weekly maintenance. For the closing, it cost me $718.70, made up of the following:

Winterize pool: $463
Algeacide 60 plus, 1 QT: $26
Pool magic spring and fall: $23.40
Metal free, 1L: $30.29
Split filter, clean cartridge, 1@$100
Mouse deterrent: $15
No 12 winterizing plug 2 inch: $3.10
3 anchors: $15
CT tax: $42.91

Questions:

1. Did I pay too much?
2. Can anyone tell me, step by step, what I need to do to close the pool myself based on my particular equipment? For example, (a), I don't know what it means when they "split filter and cleaned the cartridge". How exactly is that done? (b) how do you blow the lines out? I can't get my head around pushing air through the lines and seeing the bubbles, but doesn't the water just draw back into the lines as soon as you stop the air? Any other details would be appreciated. I watched a TON of Youtube videos, and every person closes the pool differently and I get conflicting details.

Thanks!

For the closing, it cost me $718.70, made up of the following: Ouch!

Winterize pool: $463 Is that the labor charge?
Algeacide 60 plus, 1 QT: $26 At least they used the right stuff.
Pool magic spring and fall: $23.40 Unnecessary... bleach is all that is needed
Metal free, 1L: $30.29 Do you actually *have* metals in your water? If not, its not needed
Split filter, clean cartridge, 1@$100 Is this the labor cost again? It isn't hard to clean a filter.
Mouse deterrent: $15 LOL, never heard of this one! Run, Mickey, Run!!
No 12 winterizing plug 2 inch: $3.10 Do they have to buy new ones yearly? Can't they re-use them?
3 anchors: $15 Again, buy new yearly?
CT tax: $42.91 Well.....yeah.. you do live in CT. Gotta pay the king.

Questions:

1. Did I pay too much? Well. Hmmmm.. it sure is a lot of money for a task you could take a day (maybe half a day) to do.

2. Can anyone tell me, step by step, what I need to do to close the pool myself based on my particular equipment? For example, (a), I don't know what it means when they "split filter and cleaned the cartridge". How exactly is that done? (b) how do you blow the lines out? I can't get my head around pushing air through the lines and seeing the bubbles, but doesn't the water just draw back into the lines as soon as you stop the air? Any other details would be appreciated. I watched a TON of Youtube videos, and every person closes the pool differently and I get conflicting details.
Start here--> Announcements - Swimming Pool Start-up and Closing

Thanks!

Now, to be honest I've never closed my pool but it isn't rocket science. You might want to buy/rent/borrow a good shop vac to blow the lines. Did you get a chance to watch the worker(s) do it to your pool?
The chemicals are a bit over the top and unnecessary for the most part. Cha-ching.. the bill goes up.

If you are in the least handy, I believe you could do it yourself and save a ton of money yearly.

Maddie :flower:

1. Did I pay too much?

I will not get into this conversation as there may be other members who would pay double of this to close their pool. If you are asking, then you are paying too much.

Regarding someone telling you step by step how to close your pool, this would be quite extensive. If you search "The concept of closing an in ground swimming pool", you will find a detailed thread of what I put together. Your filter is different, bu the concept is all the same. You have a concrete pool, so you can lower the water below the returns and will be very successful in clearing all the lines with an air compressor. You may not have luck with the main drain, but some members have had success with a pancake compressor.

I invested in a professional pool blower (The Cylone). Your total cost out the door will be about $400 at most for the first year and then you will save a ton of money each year thereafter. Unfortunately some parts of the country are more expensive than others for pool closings.

The bubbling effect is like blowing air through a straw and seeing bubbles at the surface of the glass (like the main drain) and the return will be similar, but not as intense. Once you go through the read, please report back to see if you are comfortable. I will upload a picture of the hookup at the pump with the Cyclone (will update in the thread tomorrow). Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Clyde:

Upload some pictures of your valves, equipment pad from different angles and we can go from there.

EDIT:

The concept of closing an in ground swimming pool

Last edited:
Looking at your pool spec signature, is it a m-u-r-f-y pool?? Just curious

No, not Murphy.

- - - Updated - - -

I will not get into this conversation as there may be other members who would pay double of this to close their pool. If you are asking, then you are paying too much.

Regarding someone telling you step by step how to close your pool, this would be quite extensive. If you search "The concept of closing an in ground swimming pool", you will find a detailed thread of what I put together. Your filter is different, bu the concept is all the same. You have a concrete pool, so you can lower the water below the returns and will be very successful in clearing all the lines with an air compressor. You may not have luck with the main drain, but some members have had success with a pancake compressor.

I invested in a professional pool blower (The Cylone). Your total cost out the door will be about $400 at most for the first year and then you will save a ton of money each year thereafter. Unfortunately some parts of the country are more expensive than others for pool closings.

The bubbling effect is like blowing air through a straw and seeing bubbles at the surface of the glass (like the main drain) and the return will be similar, but not as intense. Once you go through the read, please report back to see if you are comfortable. I will upload a picture of the hookup at the pump with the Cyclone (will update in the thread tomorrow). Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Clyde:

Upload some pictures of your valves, equipment pad from different angles and we can go from there.

EDIT:

The concept of closing an in ground swimming pool

thanks for the info. I had trouble posting pictures the other day, but let me try to take some of the pad.

I am in south jersey and with tax it was $269 but I am doubtful they added in all of the chemicals you mentioned. Even without the chemicals, it is still much lower in cost.

The only item needed at closing is a high chlorine level not to exceed SLAM based on CYA. PolyQuat 60 algaecide is optional. If a person decides to use the algaecide, then the levels should come down as the chlorine will be consumed by the PolyQuat. All these other winterizing chemicals are not necessary and an added expense.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.