Bonding Pool Light thru cement niche

repairman

Gold Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Lompoc, CA (central coast)
Hi All,

Hi and thanks ahead of time. Bond wire issue for old pool light replacement on pool renovation.

I will get my pool replastered. It is now empty.

I have the back of the pool wall dug out behind the niche where the red brass comes up right by the coping. I want to extend the conduit back 9 feet to the wall and bring it up to a jbox. I can extend the conduit with red brass though I haven't looked into it, or with pvc electrical conduit.

The clip has come off the metal ring in the cement light niche so that will be replaced. I see no bond connection either to the ring or to the red brass conduit coming out of the cement niche.

I have the deck off so I can run a bond wire under the future deck all around the pool.

I've installed my inground spa light (with the separate ground wire from the interior of the canister through the conduit back to pad, and also the bonding wire from outside the canister, in the ground, back to pad,) so I know how to do that.

Question: How do I bond the new light canister to everything else? It seems the question is how do I get the bond wire out of the cement niche?

1. Can I attach the bond wire (from light canister) to the red brass in the niche and then attach a bond wire to the red brass outside the niche? I could isolate that brass from any other ground by using a plastic jbox.

2. When the ring comes off during the replaster maybe there will be a bond attached to it but I seriously doubt it. I've chipped around anything that looked like it was an attachment and nothing.

3. Do I have to bust through the cement niche to bring the bond wire through, and if I do that should I replace the brass with pvc at the same time?

4. The only rebar I found in the pool wall (besides when I was core drilling and I can't get to that) is a halfway corroded line coming out and running about 2 ft along the edge of the shallow end wall a couple inches below the coping. If I get out of the niche I can run a bond wire around the pool under the deck and attach to that and the bond wire from the spa light to the pad, right? Also if I put in a ladder of Uframes for a diving board I can attach to those, right?

5. I think the main thing is getting out of the cement niche and if I can use the brass conduit it would be the easiest. I can get to only the top of about 2 inches of the conduit inside the niche without chipping out concrete. I'd rather not chip out much as I've chipped a little of the back of the niche off to expose the conduit and am not sure how thick the niche wall is, but I could probably expose it some. How would I attach to it if I did, solder, screw, clamp around the whole pip? If I can use the brass conduit for the bond I can figure it out but i don't know if solder is allowed. I suppose I shouldn't pot it or it wouldn't be a water bond?

Thank you,
Jim[

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

While bonding to the conduit would probably be better than nothing, I wouldn't count on getting a good connection between old conduit and a new light. I'd suspect you'll be better off to feed new conduit through the shell, and if you do so you could feed the bond wire via the old conduit.

Well, if I bust through the shell (cement niche) and put in new conduit for the light couldn't I just run the # 8 copper bond wire through the same hole as the conduit and cement it closed. I'm thinking of using the electrical pvc conduit so the bond won't touch the ground. This way I do away with 2 conduits with water in them and just have one. Good or not?
The way Pentair does their lights they want the metal niche that holds the light grounded with a separate ground wire running through the pvc conduit along with the light cable.

kadavis,
This looks like a good way to go. Drill in the rebar to mount to but i wonder if it could be just cemented in and supported by the conduit or some other way? I'll have to check if the Hayward light is compatible with my Pentair Easytouch automation. I was going to go with just white but I'll look into this. Great idea.

Everyone,
Thanks so far. Since i need to install a water lever also, can't I install the 1 1/2" equalizer line and the pool light conduit through the same hole in the cement niche if I break through it? It saves drilling through the pool wall for it. The niche is in a good place for the feeder and overflow lines as well.
Jim

I was told that the Hayward Astrolite will clip and screw into the old style metal ring in the cement niche, and that I can silver solder a bond wire to the brass conduit in the niche and clamp to conduit on the other side to join to the other bonding. The tab on the niche ring has broken off but long ago I saw somewhere to buy a new ring. I'm going to re plaster so does anyone know where they sell those rings? (Not the brass star like ones but the ones plastered into the niche)

I'm waiting for Pentair to tell me if their Amerilite will fit and screw into that 9 1/2" diameter niche ring. Anyone know?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.