Did your PB talk you into anything you regret?

No, our pool builder was great! I think the only thing he pushed, just a little though, was a water slide. Probably a high profit item. But he didn't apply that much pressure even on that. More of, are you sure you don't want the slide?

There were several things he talked us out of, most prominently automation. I don't know if he wasn't good at it, or comfortable with it or just truly believes it's not worth it. Other pool builders we got quotes from were all over automation. I kind of wish now I had it, but mostly for convenience - like what is the water temp right now? We're getting along fine without it.

Yes, an inline chlorine tablet feeder with mineral pack. And easy to use test strips. I use neither once I learned the downside to their existence.

Luckily you found TFP before the dig and can ask you questions and get honest answers from those who have actually owned and used a pool. Many PBs have no idea how they are maintained.

Yes, an inline chlorine tablet feeder with mineral pack. And easy to use test strips. I use neither once I learned the downside to their existence.

Luckily you found TFP before the dig and can ask you questions and get honest answers from those who have actually owned and used a pool. Many PBs have no idea how they are maintained.

Same here. Pool builder is a nearby neighbor, and he "gifted" me a Hayward tablet feeder at "no cost". Gee, it was the gift that kept on giving! CYA was around 150 when I saw the light and found the TFP method! I guess it'll be handy if I go on vacation, but otherwise, it's a total waste.

I have an inline chlorine tablet feeder. And even though I no longer use it regularly, I'm glad I have it because I will use it during those times when I'm traveling for work or on vacation for enough days that I can't handle the bleach application. Tabs are bad all the time, but serve a purpose for me in those times and don't cause any damage used as such.

As far as if my PB talked us into anything we didn't want or need, not really. Actually suggested some things that I'm glad we have now, namely the wireless remote. One of the builders we got a bid from was insistent we include a swim jet. Told him several times we didn't want one, but still showed up in his bid. That wasn't the only reason we didn't use him, but it was one.

My guy was insistent on an in-line tab chlorinator. He said, "I really think we should put one in." As we were standing there watching the plumber install 90 degree turn, after 90 degree turn, after 90 degree turn, going from the pump to the filter I told him to go ahead and install one if he really felt it needed it as one day I would probably do a little replumbing on the equipment pad anyway. Two days after he left I cut it all out and redid it how I wanted it.
He came back a week or two later for a final "check" and he saw what I had done. He looked over at me and said "You weren't kidding were you!" We both laughed and he left. The overall build was good, just had a few plumbing issues at the pad I had to work out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually added most upgrades as we went along... But, as many, my UV system will likely turn into a regret.

My way to cope with it is by telling myself I live in Western Washington and Sun is a privilege, not a right. Yup... I'll keep telling myself that until the bulb goes out and I bypass it entirely... :rolleyes:

P.S. This could be the emotional support group thread... ;)

For outdoor pools, most common regrets I've seen on the forums are:
1. Not having an SWG, or if left out, not having enough space in the plumbing to add one later.
2. UV System
3. Ozone System
4. "Pool Frog" or other mineral based system

In-floor cleaning heads are often complained about here, but they're hit and miss.

Inline chlorinators can be good for vacations, but I've had no problems just using a floater, it's up to you if you want to save the cost. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I went with an irregular shaped pool - I wish I stayed with a standard rectangular pool. My PB also talked me into paying a bit extra for grey trim rather than white but over time much of the grey faded to white and not everything was grey to begin with - like the pool steps.

I went with a vinyl rather than concrete pool and if I did it again I would go with concrete since the extra $10k or so is just a rounding error in the overall project given how much landscaping, flagstone, cabana, etc, cost.

PB - "Here's this 2HP (2-speed thankfully) pump. We were able to upsize it for the same price." In retrospect, thanks a lot. I could probably go with a 1 1/4 HP motor or even 1 HP, 2-speed. I'll either at least downsize the motor/impeller when it burns out or get a VS (though I don't really need a VS).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.