Brand New, Need help selecting a new pump, please!

Oct 9, 2017
San Jose
Just bought my first home with pool. Got the first energy bill and had a mini heart attack, mostly due to pumps. I'm in N. California and electricity is about 20 cents a kwh; more with high usage. We currently have a pool guy until the diy remoldeling settles down then plan on diy-ing the pool too. He's recommended a 3HP Pentair Intelliflo 230v pump. I appreciate any guidance I can get on the most energy efficient pump, pool specs in my signature line. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!

The Intelliflo is a great pump - I have one.

Now -- do you need the variable speed? Do you have water features, spa, etc? Automation? SWCG? Let us know.

You do know you have a booster pump for your vacuum that is an energy hog too. Think about getting a robot. Your pump is not involved in using them.

You may just need a two speed pump. With a robot. You would then only need to run your pool pump a few hours a day on low speed.

Take care.

Tricia,

The IntelliFlo is the "Gold Standard" of swimming pool pumps... Do you need it... most likely not... will you love, absolutely!!!

I suspect the main problem is that you are just running your current pump way too long.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

T,

If you are only running your current pump 5 hours a day, I can't see where you are going to save much money by getting the IntelliFlo... But... if you plan to get a SWCG later, you will most likely have to run much longer than 5 hours to generate enough chlorine for your 40K gallon pool. This is where the IntelliFlo excels...

For reference, I can run my IntelliFlo at 1200 rpm, 24/7, for less than $20 bucks a month...

Thanks,

Jim R.

T,

I have two rent houses with pools. Both of them have 1.5 inch pipes. One only has two return eyeballs and the other only three returns.. Both of them have the 3 HP Intelliflo pumps that have been running 24/7 for the past four years without any problems.

I am not trying to talk you into the IntelliFlo, just trying to let you know it will work fine if that is the pump you choose.

It costs me less than $20 bucks a month to run them..

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.