Experience I just had at the pool store ?

Sep 19, 2016
Wilmington, OH
So I just got home from the pool/spa store that’s 30 minutes from my house and I didn’t purchase anything. They told me that the method you guys recommend is disastrous to our health and to the hot tub. They said that we were going to destroy our livers and be covered in rashes, plus our equipment was going to suffer greatly. They told me there was zero chance that my readings on the test were correct because no city water would have their alkalinity at 50. They said that you cannot have alkalinity at 50 in a hot tub (it has to be at the very least 80 but they have theirs at 140). They told me I had to use an oxidizer (MPS) and that I had to use Dichlor at all times. They basically told me that I needed to go and study up on owning a hot tub before I did anything because I don’t know what I’m doing. They also told me that I shouldn’t have chlorine available while we are soaking. After we soak, we add chlorine and let it run for 5 minutes with the cover off. He said “basically you want it back to bath water.” I asked (several times before he would answer me) why in a pool you can have available chlorine but not in a hot tub when you’re using it. He said it’s because your skin is more porous in the hot tub and it sucks it in. It was an incredibly dramatic, overwhelming and frustrating experience because I am not confident in my chemistry knowledge enough to argue with them. He demanded to know how I was going to be using the Dichlor granules and I’m sure you guys can imagine the look on his face when I told him that I was only using it until I got the CYA to 20 or 30 and then using straight bleach after that. That’s when he gave me a special pamphlet and told me I need to go home and learn about hot tubs. He also told me that if I’m not gonna be using the chemicals for the right purpose that he won’t sell them to me which I thought was odd. He said he doesn’t want to get sued. I need guidance, or moral support or something ?

Just opened my spa 3 weeks ago using the dichlor/bleach method and it is noticeably better than the biquanide (soft soak) system I was using. Much less $$, the water feels brighter (wife's comment), and easy to measure and test.

Instilling fear is a powerful motivator but I am hip to the tricks used by politicians and pool salespeople. Trust the facts and your test kit.

Sorry you had such a terrible experience and, suffice it to say that store owner is both a royal jerk and an absolute no-nothing fool! There are a dozen different ways to refute all of his B/S but I understand that you don’t feel versed enough in the chemistry to be comfortable arguing with his nonsense. BUT you had excellent intuition by forcing him to explain why a chlorine residual is ok in a pool and not a tub!! His answer was thoroughly unscientific and idiotic given that ALL public health codes require residual sanitizer for pools and spas so he’s either completely ignorant or woefully uniformed...likely both.

Don’t ever go back there! You don’t need to as you can get anything you need for the spa either online or at any other pool store.

Ask any question or doubt you might have, we’ll be happy to explain it all.

You did the right thing leaving without buying anything.

What kind of business owner speaks to a customer that way?!?

He clearly didn't know what he was talking about, it would have
been funny if another customer who was a chemist schooled
him hard in front of you.

I have not needed to go to a pool store for anything last couple
years but I was always amused by the conversations going
on between staff and customers.

The smarter you are the less profit he will be able to make. He probably just got a shipment of pH up and needs to move it quickly and there is no way he can sell it to people who know better.

Your on the right path, now go grab a martini and relax. It's 5 o'clock somewhere!

He also told me that if I’m not gonna be using the chemicals for the right purpose that he won’t sell them to me
I find his proposal acceptable. Do not purchase anything from that store again. Not even a pool noodle, lest you be informed you are using it incorrectly.

Remember, there is no education required to own or work in a pool store. This isn't like a CPA who has been tested and proven experience to offer accounting services, pool store advice can be given based on whatever the person believes. Even the CPO is only a weekend class and full of more holes than swiss cheese. And never forget that advice given by anyone with a financial interest is to be taken with a grain of salt. Unfortunately we will have to find a salt mine for this guy's advice...

So he said he attended a water chemistry (course, certification, seminar??) in Chicago, and that I need to remember that the big pool stores aren’t knowledgeable in water chemistry. Apparently he had already forgotten that I said I was following a method I discovered on a pool website. He then went on to tell me a story about what he learned at the water chemistry event he attended. They told them that bromine was the worst thing you could use in a hot tub. Apparently that is what he had been using for years in his personal hot tub, so he questioned him on what they were saying. They told him that eventually his body would react to the bromine; they didn’t know when, but they guaranteed if he continued using it his body would react. He said three years later he started turning red on the lower part of his body and it just moved up his body until everything from his chest down was red. So he didn’t like my bleach method, and apparently he doesn’t like the bromine method. He then showed my a peroxide method that people like.

His anecdote of turning red, sure does lack details ... how do we know he was properly maintaining the hot tub for 3 years? How often was he replacing the water?

My recommendation, forget you ever talked to this guy and move with your life with water that is likely better and safer than his.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
He then showed my a peroxide method that people like.
Run away from that man as fast as you can!!!!!!

See, this story is why I can't understand when people come on decrying the big stores like Leslie's but then defend the mom&pop stores. I understand the simplicity in demonizing a large corporation while humanizing the people who actually live in your neighborhood, but if anything it should be the other way around. Both are abound with bad advice, both have good and bad people who work for and own these places, but think about it. The person helping you at Leslie's probably isn't the owner. They are probably hourly, maybe a small commission on top but nothing worth them angering a customer over. They may know very little about pool chemistry but at the end of the day they don't care what you buy. The person serving you at a small store though, they might be the owner. They have bills to pay. You leaving there without buying something hurts them, so they are going to push you to buy everything. They have a vested financial interest in you purchasing something. And when I heard from a former store owner the "technically not lies" he told people to get them to pay more in his store than go elsewhere, well I no longer have rose colored glasses when it comes to small pool stores.

Peroxide is NOT an adequate water sanitizer. In order for it to be a sanitizer, you’d have to have levels so high that it would be terribly uncomfortable to soak in. The Baquacil system (biguanide + peroxide) is EPA approved for hot tubs but it is enormously expensive and difficult to properly dose without using a very expensive test kit.

I agree with others - run away, as far away as you can, from that spa store!

Last edited:
everything from his chest down was red

Most likely a bacteria skin infection. Hot tubs are the goldilocks temperature for bacteria growth. Without sufficient sanitation it explodes with exponential growth. Even with sufficient sanitation it finds a way to grow under scum layers that form everywhere in your tub. It's a good idea to wipe down your seat with a wash rag before you sit down. Yes, every time. And that's WITH chlorine in the water.

The lengths these people go through in order to not have to stock and sell bleach is amazing.

They told him that eventually his body would react to the bromine; they didn’t know when, but they guaranteed if he continued using it his body would react. He said three years later he started turning red on the lower part of his body and it just moved up his body until everything from his chest down was red.
I suspect that the dmh from bromine tabs built up and made the bromine ineffective similar to how cyanuric acid binds up chlorine.

Once the dmh reduced the effectiveness of the bromine, bacteria can grow and infect bathers.

Bromine tabs contain dmh and should be used sparingly to control dmh.

Draining and refilling a tub on a periodic basis is good practice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.