Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Testing Pumps

1. Back To Top    #1

Testing Pumps

The motor in my pump (paired with a DE filter) died the other day. I have another pump (that's paired with a Sand Filter) I inherited when my brother in law dismantled his pool. I'm not sure if it still works, but I'd like to test it out before I buy sand and fill the filter up. Is there a good method for testing a pump to see if it works? Is there harm in just hooking the whole thing up to the skimmer and letting it backwash out of the filter and not send it into the return? I know I could probably just buy a new pump, but if I don't have to I really don't want to (not at this time at least).

I have a 20' above ground round.

Thanks for all your help.
    Pool Info:
    13,500 gallons
    DE Filter (Hayward)
    Inground
    Plaster finish?
    I have a 1hp pump, 36" grids in the DE, thats all I know.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Testing Pumps

Why not just use the pump from your brothers filter and forget about swapping filters then? A pump is a pump is a pump. All it does is push water through the filter, it doesn't know what type filter it is.
    steve

Above Ground / 18' Round / Vinyl Liner / Sand Filter / 100K Gas Heater / Salt Added / No Nature2

3. Back To Top    #3

The DE filter's intake from the pump is on the bottom of the filter. The outflow from the pump to the filter on the sand filter's pump leaves through the top and there's little room to get it to go from one to another. I could try to jury rig it, but the connections don't line up.

It's a Hayward Perflex DE filter. That link goes to a picture of kind of what it looks like. The Sand Filter is a Hayward GM Series. I can't find a picture of that, but I'll take some pictures when I get home to show you what I mean.
    Pool Info:
    13,500 gallons
    DE Filter (Hayward)
    Inground
    Plaster finish?

4. Back To Top    #4

Do you know what type of pump it is? If it's a thru-bolt style motor then you can rotate the impeller housing 90' to (maybe) match up with the DE filter. You can connect the new system without the filter tank, just running the pump through the multiport on waste, or recirculate it back to the pool.

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP!!

You could always just put the filter up on a couple of cinder blocks and use a SP 1485 union to connect them (* note- there are a few different 1485s available, find one that's right for your height difference - or just make your own with sch 40 pvc and a union ) Oh yeah, you'd need to extend the return line up - but that's really simple plumbing
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by spishex
    Do you know what type of pump it is? If it's a thru-bolt style motor then you can rotate the impeller housing 90' to (maybe) match up with the DE filter. You can connect the new system without the filter tank, just running the pump through the multiport on waste, or recirculate it back to the pool.
    It's a Hayward Pro Flo Series. 1 HP and 115 volts. The outflow on the pump is perpendicular to the ground and on the opposite side of the pump from where the filter would sit.

Is there a general recommendation between sand and DE? The pool came with the house. The first pump/filter I had for the pool (died within a month or so) was a sand filter, so most of my experience is with the Perflex DE filter.

Thanks for the welcoming and the advice. I feel like I fight with the pool every summer and I feel like I lose.
    Pool Info:
    13,500 gallons
    DE Filter (Hayward)
    Inground
    Plaster finish?

7. Back To Top    #7

Your pump is one like Tim talked about which can have the outflow port reoriented to be out of the top Between the 2 of us, Tim and I should be able to help you adjust it
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

8. Back To Top    #8

I'll take some pictures and post them later. Then I'll give a go of it.

Thanks for all the help!

EDIT: Pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pool Info:
    13,500 gallons
    DE Filter (Hayward)
    Inground
    Plaster finish?