Air in pump basket - low rpms

I have a pentair variable speed pump for my now 2 season old pool. It runs on speed 3 first thing each day for a few hours then on speed 1 for the rest of the day. Overall it’s been great and I have had great luck with my swg, fc and filter w this system. Recently I have noticed that at low speeds I have lots of air in my pump basket. Higher speeds it’s fine. Cap is on good and tight. I asked my pool builder to please stop in and take a look, as I am still in my warranty period. He said the pvc to abs suction side joint (pipe to pump) was sucking air and I should re seal. Says it’s not his problem-wear and tear. Says I should use electrical connection sealant, and that should do it. He also said it’s fine to leave it like it is.

I think is a bs sort of reply- was expected- my builder and I had vastly different opininions on work quality.

I want to cut through the bs and ask what everyone else uses on this connection and if failure of this joint is a common occurance. I get tha The pump and pipe are different products.

thanks!

ss,

I think it should be a crime to install a $1,000 pump without pump unions.

I also think what your PB says makes perfect sense and is why "real" pool builders use pump unions rather than screwing the input pipe into the pump.

Pump unions have an O-ring on the threaded end that prevents leaks... They look like this... http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/custom-molded-21063-200-000-Union-Threaded-2in-MPT-x-2in-Slip-for-IntelliFlo/21063-200-000.htm?xzm2&ecmpid=aw_pla_search_21063-200-000&adtype=paid&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoeX1hN671gIVxF5-Ch1NWg8nEAQYASABEgKlvfD_BwE

I do not think the pump itself has any failures causing your air pocket...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

ss,

Actually $26 bucks because you need two of them... :p

There is no 'requirement' to use pump unions, it just makes good common sense, and prevents issues like you are having now..

Not sure you have any grounds to "fight" him. But, depending on your relationship with him, he might be willing to install the unions if you provide them.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I will add that I always seem to have a little air in the pump basket when I run it on really low RPMs (<1500) and they always go away when I increase the RPMs. I haven't worried about it since no air is coming out of the return jets and it hasn't been a problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.