Algae outbreak before closing - Clean it now, or wait and clean it in the Spring?

Jun 28, 2015
Greenville/SC
Hi all, I slacked off on keeping the chlorine levels up once it was too cold to swim. Then I went on vacation for a few days, only to return to the dreaded "green swamp".

I now need to close the pool, so I'm wondering if it's worth the effort to clean it BEFORE closing it, or just wait and do the same amount of work in the Spring to get it cleaned up. If I leave it funky, will it cause any issues?

Thanks!
Heygreene

Do you close your pool all of the way? As in remove equipment and lower the water?

If it were me I would clean it now but that is because I do not close here in FL. I would hate to look at the water being yucky.

I do worry it might be MUCH worse if you leave it until the Spring and take forever to clean up when you are ready to tackle it later.

Kim:kim:

Reactions: CMH-CVG
Do you close your pool all of the way? As in remove equipment and lower the water?

If it were me I would clean it now but that is because I do not close here in FL. I would hate to look at the water being yucky.

I do worry it might be MUCH worse if you leave it until the Spring and take forever to clean up when you are ready to tackle it later.

Hi Kim, yes I actually close the pool... I'm thinking you're right, better to do it now when I'm not in a hurry than to do it in the Spring. Plus I have no idea what all that algae would do to my liner. Lesson learned: Don't be lazy in the fall. :)

Another vote to clean it up now. Letting it sit over winter could lead to organic staining as mentioned, or bacteria that converts your CYA to ammonia. You DO NOT want to deal with ammonia at opening.

No harm in asking. Any questions about the clean up?

Yakima (and everyone else), thanks so much for offering to help... this is a great community!

OK, so my CYA is pretty much zero, but my pool is mainly shaded so I haven't had any issues all year with it being low. I'm keeping the chlorine at 10-12ppm right now for the SLAM (based on the chart). Last night it went from around 10 to 1 overnight, so something is definitely eating it up. :)

My PH was super high, probably 8.2 or more. I brought it down... but now it's too low, like 7, or maybe 6.8 (per my Taylor kit). I'll bring it back up some per the pool calculator, but do I need to pay attention to any other chemicals, or just chlorine levels and PH right now?

There is NO change in the look of the pool so far, and my filter has not needed backwashing. Should I add an algaecide for good measure?

Anything else I should be doing?

Thanks!
Heygreene

Don't worry about pH right now, the higher levels of chlorine will drive pH up temporarily, so you don't want to raise it during the slam process. Just test chlorine for now. For the first hour of slam today test FC about every 15 minutes. That will show you how fast you are going through FC. If you see a big drop after the 1st 15 minute test bring it back to slam levels and test in another 15 minutes. If there is not a big drop (more than 1/2 the FC) test in 2 hours.

Don't worry about pH right now, the higher levels of chlorine will drive pH up temporarily, so you don't want to raise it during the slam process. Just test chlorine for now. For the first hour of slam today test FC about every 15 minutes. That will show you how fast you are going through FC. If you see a big drop after the 1st 15 minute test bring it back to slam levels and test in another 15 minutes. If there is not a big drop (more than 1/2 the FC) test in 2 hours.

I haven't been able to check it that often, but I'm burning through about 2ppm an hour, maybe 3. I'm raising it a little over 10 to compensate for my inability to watch it around the clock, so hopefully this will help. Still super cloudy and green... no sign of clearing and the pump has been running for >24hrs. Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
To SLAM it is advisable to have at least 30 ppm of CYA in the water. Otherwise the UV from the sun will destroy your FC very fast. Half life is about 30 minutes.

Add some CYA via a sock. Try 20 ppm to start.

Take care.

Just an update. I bought some CYA and will be adding it tonight. My water has turned from bright green on Saturday, to Turquoise on Sunday, and now to a light/beautiful blue... but it's still very cloudy (can't see more than a couple of feet down). Hopefully I'm on the right track!

When should I expect the cloudiness to go away?

Thanks!
Heygreene

Great progress! Sand filters are, generally speaking, 3 days to 3 weeks from where you are today until crystal clear, depending on how appropriately sized your filter/pump are for your pool, how often you brush, how well you keep FC up, how good your circulation is, if you run 24/7 or less, and if your PSI gauge works and you know your clean PSI, and don't backwash until it rises 25%.

If you are in a rush: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/133-add-de-to-a-sand-filter

Resist any urge or suggestion to use a clarifier. Just say no.

Great progress! Sand filters are, generally speaking, 3 days to 3 weeks from where you are today until crystal clear, depending on how appropriately sized your filter/pump are for your pool, how often you brush, how well you keep FC up, how good your circulation is, if you run 24/7 or less, and if your PSI gauge works and you know your clean PSI, and don't backwash until it rises 25%.

If you are in a rush: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/133-add-de-to-a-sand-filter

Resist any urge or suggestion to use a clarifier. Just say no.

• Well, I almost used a clarifier, so thanks for that warning!!!
  • And I am slacking on brushing the pool, so I will try and do that tomorrow.
  • I'm running 24/7
  • I'm keeping my FC up good overnight but during the day... not so much while I'm at work. I'm hoping the CYA will help some tomorrow... trying to bring it to around 25-30 (I always go too high, so starting slow).
  • And... I backwashed way too early. I normaly run around 15psi, it got to 14 and I backwashed tonight lol. Lesson learned... let it go, I'm sure that helps capture more "crud".

Thanks again!

Good post! Yes, slightly dirty (but not over 25% dirtier) filter will capture more and clear faster. If you can bring FC up to 12 before work, then bring it back up to 12 after you get home, with a test or two between then and bedtime, you're doing great.

Brush once per day min, if at all possible, without messing up your bedtime. Bonus points if you get a 2nd in, but the at least once per day is the proven SLAM magic number.

You're doing great, and now you'll do even better!

It is important that you get confident on the CYA test and make sure you get at least rounding up to 30 or 40.

Reminder on test procedure and hints: https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/220-CYA
And endpoint image: https://www.troublefreepool.com/images/global/CYA%20EndPoint.png

Update:
CYA = 35
PH = 7.0 (should I try to bring it up now?)
TA = 100
Chlorine = 10ppm after being at work for 10hrs! I'll keep it around 14 while SLAM'ing for the next few days.

Gonna try to brush/vacuum tonight before bed and will get at least one vacuum in per day after that.

The pool looks exactly the same as yesterday... beautiful blue color, but completely cloudy. I ordered some DE, and it will be here Friday. Until then I'll just keep the filter running 24/7.

Leave the pH as is. No need to test with FC greater than 10.

Use CYA of 40 so shock level FC is 16. The CYA vial is not linear. So anything above 30, is 40.

Take care.

I suggest you take and share a pic of the pool each day. Your eyes will not be able to tell the day to day difference. Take the pic looking down at the steps. You are at the worst part of the clearing :( the clearing takes the longest it seems as you don't see the difference in color. BUT the pics will help you see the clearing.

Good work! Please read the safe handling instructions on the DE before you crack open the bag. It's magic-like for cloudy post-swamps with sand filters, but black-magic like for your eyes, nose, mouth, lungs, etc. A little caution will easily help to keep you safe.

Keep an eye on your filter pressure after you add the DE, it will rise quickly from the additional materials the filter is now trapping. Depending on how much particulates are in the water, you may be backwashing multiple times the first few days.

You have only been SLAMming a couple of days, if this were my pool, I would give the filter at least a week into the SLAM before adding DE.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.