New Build in South Carolina (Pics of site and a few questions)

I believe it was about 140' total length and 60" high, I think 54" high is min code in SC and we added a double arched gate it was just run of the mill black aluminum, God only knows what wrought iron would have cost. Hopefully you'll get a better price as you're in a bigger market than I am, I had a hard time just finding a PB around here.

Salty

Salty... do you have cantilever around your pool? That's another thing I'm weighing. PB wants $1,500 extra for that.

Looks like a great spot for a pool. We have a sloped yard as well but opted not to do a retaining wall. The PB set the level of the pool about halfway into the slope to make it less severe to grade on either end (ours is running perpindicular to the house). We'll have a steep dropoff into the woods but we were able to keep the lawn side of our yard mostly flat.

We opted for the cantilever as well. It seems like a steep price but I like the look much better and not sure it's something you can go back and change later.

Another consideration with the slope we're working with is where to place the retaining walls. "bmoreswim" mentioned about possibly cutting into the grade and having the wall at the top by the house instead of the bottom. I guess I'm just trying to think about the pros and cons. For one, I worry a little about proper drainage with the pool being sunk down vs. higher elevation, but I'm sure it would be fine if it were properly addressed. I am going to post a couple pictures and see what everyone thinks. Keep in mind that that the slope falls off pretty good on that lower side and we plan to have quite a bit of extra concrete decking poured on that lower side for entertaining space, fire pit, etc. so there will probably be quite a bit of elevation difference between the lowest part on that side and the opposite side up the hill.

hill_from_front.jpg
hill_from_front2.jpg

For one, I worry a little about proper drainage with the pool being sunk down vs. higher elevation, but I'm sure it would be fine if it were properly addressed.

This is something we were worried about as well. Our PB is installing a drainage pipe on the uphill side and re-directing it around the pool. He's also tying our gutter downspout into it which will hopefully alleviate any potential drainage issues. Personally, I'd prefer cutting into the grade vs having a huge retaining wall/steep grade on the downhill side of the pool.

I think you hear about the ones that fail and not about the ones that don’t. Feeling here is that if you like flip phones, get the standard light!

Thanks for become a supporter!

Any thought given to lowering the pool elevation and doing your retaining wall on the upper side? The reason I ask is because then you get to enjoy the wall as a design feature and backdrop to sitting area instead of just holding up the deck on the lower side of the pool. We have walls above and below (though the lower wall is all buried). I don’t expect you will go this route but wanted to throw it out there now.

+1 on both those statements! I like the idea of a higher portion above the pool if need be due to sloped yard. our friends is like that. its pretty cool. place looks like a resort with that kinda layout.

Here's the look of our pool with the retaining wall above. YippeeSkippy also has a retaining wall above... http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/47473-Our-Pool-Solved-Our-Sloping-Yard

View attachment 69491

View attachment 69490

Wow....that's beautiful I must say! Thanks for sharing the pics. The only thing that comes to mind is the fact that, with ours, we won't have any space between our house and the pool deck. We will step directly from the wooden steps of the deck onto the pool deck. We don't have the luxury of setting the pool back further from the house or else we'll get into the septic drain fields. So my concern when visualizing it with the wall on the house side like yours is that I'd be stepping off of the wooden deck steps right onto a wall or, more likely, so other steps that we'd have to build to bring us down to the level of the pool. Do you think that would be awkward or look strange vs. it instead being level when you steps off the deck and then the wall at the back?

Thanks again!

Yippee’s situation is almost exactly what yours is and provides an example. Right off of their deck are steps down to the pool

This would also possibly mean a wall on one or both sides part of the way down until the ground is below the deck.

If doing the wall on the upper side reduces your upper side deck space at all I would vote against it. That would be the priority for me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Our PB finished our grading yesterday. We opted for no retaining wall but I'm not sure if our slope is as steep as yours.

This shows the uphill side: View from back The PB is digging a drainage ditch above the pool and tying our downspout into it.

This shows the view from the house: View from house

And the graded area from the side: Back grading side view

Beautiful! I really like all of the extra concrete you are pouring around the pool. And I think you may be right....seems like your slope may be more gradual than ours. You could have probably gone with or without a wall and been OK. I'm just not sure we will like having that big hill that we would likely have if we don't do a wall.

What are everyone's thoughts on how to shape the concrete pool deck? We will do some extra concrete regardless (especially on the right side off of the deck) but just wondering if a big rectangle shape would seem boring? Would some curves in the shape of the deck look better or are straight lines more suited to a roman pool? Thanks! Here's a couple more pics to try to show some more area around the pool.

capture3.jpg
capture4.jpg
capture5.jpg
capture6.jpg

Go big or go home!!

Consider how long and wide loungers are, and how many you'll want? Groupings of chairs and loungers take space. Add a table and chairs around it and you'll want more. Nothing worse than regretting a too small paved deck area after the fact when you shift your chair and it plops into grass.

Also, consider that a wider deck helps keep grass clippings away from the pool as you mow.

Maddie :flower:

Go big or go home!!

Consider how long and wide loungers are, and how many you'll want? Groupings of chairs and loungers take space. Add a table and chairs around it and you'll want more. Nothing worse than regretting a too small paved deck area after the fact when you shift your chair and it plops into grass.

Also, consider that a wider deck helps keep grass clippings away from the pool as you mow.

Yeah, I think we are definitely going bigger. I don't want to ever have to add deck in the future. Now is the time. I was just wondering about shape. Keep the lines straight or curve it up a bit? I guess it probably comes down to personal preference.

I would suggest a larger area around the steps, consider people hanging out around the steps being conversational. That would make a great place for a table and umbrella and chairs. As to shape I would curve it a bit outward to soften the overall image.

Then along the back side 4' straight paved line along the length of the pool. You can make this simple and it will save you money so you can spend it on the larger areas.

To the front side near the house I would enlarge as much as you can and want (I can't see the house so can't suggest any shape other than fill in the space to the house/porch?).

Just some random ideas.

For your style pool I think you should do curved corners but in general keep it straight to match the style of your pool. Something like this: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/b1/13/fd/b113fd53275210aa414d08cc27ed0f77--pool-fence-pool-backyard.jpg

Thanks for the link...I do like the looks of that...even if we go with more concrete than shown in that pic. Any other site that you know of that would show me other ways that people have poured decking for a roman pool? I suppose a Google search may be the first place to start :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.