Pool remodel contract question - is it normal to pay the FINAL pmt BEFORE Plaster?

Oct 13, 2012
Dallas, Texas
About to sign a pool remodel contract, reputable PB/Remodeler says 30% at start, 30% at tile/coping, 30% at decking, the final 10% is to be paid day of (prior to) plaster install.

That leaves 100% of the money paid before ALL work is completed. He says this is not negotiable.

Is this normal?

Re: Pool remodel contract question - normal to pay the FINAL pmt BEFORE Plaster?

Seems to be nearly standard practice. Although for new builds usually there is 5-10% due at work completion ... not all due by plaster.

I agree it is BS, as they have no incentive to address any concerns at the very end.

You could always walk and find a different builder.

Re: Pool remodel contract question - normal to pay the FINAL pmt BEFORE Plaster?

He says a day after plaster, pool gets filled (25k gallons), balance, one brushing & vac by PB, then we take over the brushing twice a day for 7 days.

I'll talk to two of my friends that used this builder and see if it was the same for them, though, they had new pools installed, not a remodel.

I couldn't remember, but I just looked back and my build was the same way. The key word in your post is reputable. If that's the case, I wouldn't be concerned with it. Ours was too and builds many pools in the area, including for some friends. I'd feel differently if it was just an individual or a startup/fly-by-night type of operation.

We met with the PB salesman, he amended the contract to pay 30% at start (of tear out), 30% at completion of tile/coping, 30% at completion of deck install, 5% at start of plaster and 5% at of start up of pool. So there will be about $4000 of hold back which will pay at the end.

We signed the contract and in 4 to 6 weeks tear out starts.

We tore out all the 28 year old landscaping over the past week, will be starting with a clean slate so to speak.

I'll start a new thread with the progress.

Thank you for the replies, they are appreciated.

As a side note, I searched for similar threads to mine and found about 5 or so with the same issue, so the search function works!

Our schedule was similar to yours. We ended up having issues with our PB when he wanted the final payment prior to scheduling our inspection before plaster. We had a lot of work that still needed to be done - equipment wall wasn't built, some of the tilework needed to be redone, electrical. We didn't hear from him for 5 weeks before the inspection, and then we failed inspection twice... So glad my husband stood our ground with him. We didn't give him his final payment until after the pool was done.

Good to hear they changed it. When we did our we had a pool loan and the bank required 10% at completion or no deal. Our PB already had this in the contract. I would never pay in full prior to full completion. You have no leverage at this point.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Please tell me you are getting more than just new plaster for $80,000??

Yes, don't be frightened.

1100 sf of travertine tile, skim coating about 400 sf of existing exposed aggregate with new, patterned concrete, Water Blue Beadcrete plaster, 4 sheer descents, adding tanning ledge & bench, adding add'l set of steps, dedicated pump for the sheer descents, adding pool cleaner & pump (formerly had a suction cleaner), LED multicolor light in spa & pool, glass tile at water line, some minor crack repair, rebuilding of a back wall using lueder stone capped with travertine, travertine coping, replacing two skimmers, updating the single drain spa & pool to dual drains.

I'll post pics and start a new thread for that...Should start in 4 to 6 weeks and be done by last week in December or mid January.

chris.

Yes, don't be frightened.

1100 sf of travertine tile, skim coating about 400 sf of existing exposed aggregate with new, patterned concrete, Water Blue Beadcrete plaster, 4 sheer descents, adding tanning ledge & bench, adding add'l set of steps, dedicated pump for the sheer descents, adding pool cleaner & pump (formerly had a suction cleaner), LED multicolor light in spa & pool, glass tile at water line, some minor crack repair, rebuilding of a back wall using lueder stone capped with travertine, travertine coping, replacing two skimmers, updating the single drain spa & pool to dual drains.

I'll post pics and start a new thread for that...Should start in 4 to 6 weeks and be done by last week in December or mid January.

chris.

Sounds awesome! Looking forward to seeing this.

Figure I'd throw in mine here since our re-model will be done in a couple days.

We did new wet edge prism matrix, new coping, new tile, added a overflow drain, new lights, new pool filter, and re-textured and re-colored coolcrete + patio sealing. We got quotes from 3 different companies and all 3 of them were 50% upon start of the job and 50% upon completion.

The mistake I made was not ensuring the contract was broken down by the different scope. My pay structure revolves around pool milestones. I would be completely ok with this if all I was building was a pool. The PB is also building a cabana with bathroom, fireplace, outdoor kitchen & storage. The pool equipment actually sits on the cabana foundation as it is under the same roof.

Our build was moving very quickly and it was even communicated to me that they intended on fast tracking the build. The problem...I pay 100% of the contract if they complete the pool and the potential is there that nothing has been completed on the cabana. My error on the up front portion of the contract but oh well. I already informed them that I wont allow the pool to get too far along without progress on the cabana. The next step on my build is tile and coping which has another payment associated with it. That work will be delayed if nothing is started on the cabana.

I have no doubt my PB will complete the scope. I just don't feel comfortable paying 80% or more of the total contract with a significant amount of scope incomplete. My leverage would go out the window.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.