Using an inground rated robot in an AGP

May 29, 2017
kokomo IN
As I understand most robots are rated for in ground pools. There is no clear documentation of why, but the theory is that they are too harsh on the vinyl. However all robots that are pool rated seem to not do walls which seems to be half the job.

I am seeking for others that have an above ground pool and are using a robot that technically is not rated for their pool.

I know others are using the Dolphin Nautilus Plus from posts/reviews from 12+ months ago and wonder how things have held up in regards to the liner of their AGP.

I'm looking at either the Dolphin Nautilus Plus, Dolphin Saturn, or anything else that cleans the wall while not being too "powerful" for above ground.

I'm bumping this because I see many AGP owners using robots and I think they may have some insight and advice on this matter.

Yeah there seems to be some. I know I've read a few posts which is encouraging.

I will likely get one next spring, but I'm a fairly conservative person so I like to know of any problems prior to doing something. My liner was installed with some large wrinkles in the floor area so not sure if that is a factor. Getting dirt using the normal pump vacuum from those areas can be challenging.

Been using the Nautilus Plus with nothing but praises. Liner is great, climbs walls, and even runs for short distances around the top edge. I have no complaints.

No issues with using a IGP robot in an AGP. Dolphin based their S50/E10 models on the bigger S series and Active series cleaners and adapted them for abovegrounds. Shouldn’t be harsh on the vinyl, and shouldn’t pull the liner out of the bead/overlap. If 10k gallons of water can’t do it, a little robot won’t hurt.

Seems to me those "wall climbers" could pull the vinyl out of the top track maybe? But may not be any different there than an in ground pool with a vinyl liner. I dunno.

Oh my, they do not have that strong of suction. The only thing touching the vinyl is the tracks and the brushes. Both are very soft.

Now my pool's liner folds over the top of the pool and is held down by the rail. So there is no exposed liner to tear or get pulled.

I was basically referring to the weight of the bot itself being held onto the side by whatever amount of suction is required.................

The Nautilus Plus is not held onto the side by suction but instead by water being forced out the top of the robot pressing it against the wall. So basically the combination of the suction and force from the expulsion of water out the top.

Now I am not saying that a robot that is rated for an inground pool is safe for every above ground pool. I am just saying that the Nautilus Plus works great for my above ground pool with no ill effects.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.