Easy Touch w SWG - Cheaper than without?

SunshineNative

Silver Supporter
Jun 29, 2017
Lutz, FL
Still in the planning stage of an owner build. I feel like I must be missing something here, so thought I might as well ask.

I am planning to have all Pentair equipment, including a Pentair Intellichlor 40 salt water generator, and 5G Intellibrite LED light.

I don't necessarily need or want "automation" features, BUT if I am understanding correctly, using the Pentair Easy Touch as a load center is a no-brainer and actually winds up cheaper. What am I missing?

Here's what I mean (please correct me):

Pentair Easy Touch 4 w/ IC40 SWG - $1188

My understanding is this would eliminate the need to buy the following:
- Electrical subpanel (seems like wire from main breaker panel directly to the ET load center?)
- IC 40 SWG $890 (I'm still not sure if this comes with the ET or if it is just made to work with the SWG. Can anyone confirm?)
- Pool light controller $188 (shouldn't need this since the ET does this function)
- Pool light transformer $120 (can't you just use one of the low voltage relays in the ET for the pool light?)

If this is all true, the cost of this stuff is $1198, and the ET is only $1188. Am I missing something?

ssn,

All of what you say is true except the Pool Light Transformer.. If you have low voltage lighting, you will still need an external step down transformer.

The EasyTouch would turn on/off the AC power to the primary side of the step down transformer. There are no user programmable low voltage relays in the EasyTouch.

Keep in mind that the ET4 only has three user programmable relays... The pump/filter relay must be used to control the power to the internal SWCG power supply. This leaves you with three relays.

You will need one relay for your pool light(s), one for you equipment pad light, and one for whatever else you want, like landscape lighting or ????

You will also want to spend an additional $370 bucks for ScreenLogic2, which will allow you to control everything from your PC, Tablet or Phone.

Just make sure you do not buy the "Lite" version of the EasyTouch... They have no load center and just like lite food, they do just not taste as good.. :cool: They have an 'L' in the model number, like PL4 or PSL4...

Not sure if you are doing a Spa or not, but if so, make sure you get the dual body of water units and not the single body of water units.

Here is a link to an ET4 with IC40 SWCG, single body system for a couple bucks less and a great place to buy pool equipment... Pentair Easy Touch Control System 520593. EasyTouch 4PSC-IC40 Control System. Pentair 520593.

Thanks,

Jim R.

What are the low voltage relays for if they won't work for pool light?

Next question - if I do want to use the automation of the pool water...have a VS pump and water features, would that mean I would need three automatic valves (e.g. one on suction side of pump supplying pump, one on output to returns, one on output to water features) or is that not really how it works? Maybe just one to open water features, since pump speed can control the water flow as opposed to a valve? Anyone have a pic of the setup?

ssn,

You have no access to the low voltage relays as they are internal to the main circuit card. They are for dedicated functions, so you can't just make one of them for the pool lights..

Unless you have a Spa, there is no reason to use the "Intake" or "Return" valves.. There are two valve drivers A and B that are user definable that you could use to control your water features.

This is basically what I do.. I do not have a Spa, but I do have a waterfall. When the waterfall comes on, the valve turns to open the flow to the waterfall and the pump increases in speed so that the waterfall looks the way it should.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.