Howdy from South Central PA

Sep 15, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
Just joined looking for information to maintain our pool and getting ready to close it for the season. The pool was already here when we bought the place about 7 years ago. We have gotten by for the most part and have been pretty lax with upkeep. We would use the old style vacuum to sweep and for closing we would use a tarp with weights around the perimeter.

With that little bit of back story I decided I wanted to do things a little better this year. I recently purchase a Dolphin Nautilus Plus for sweeping duties and have a custom safety cover on the way. It would never fail each spring we would end up with water that smelled like a swamp on top of the pool cover and have frogs and tadpoles swimming around. Not gonna happen again. Right now though trying to get the pool ready for closing nobody has used it in a few weeks and the water is a little cloudy. Been running the Nautilus the last two days and leaving the pool filter on.

Just got the TFT-100 test kit today and here are the readings I got.

FC: 8.5
CC: 0.5
TC: 9
Total Alkalinity: 110
CYA: 90
Daily kit: Chlorine read 5 and PH was good at 7.5

Welcome! I don't close my pool, but here is an article that may help Pool School - Closing an In Ground Pool. Your CYA is a tad high-what are you chlorinating with?

Thanks for the response. We use tablets and shock. After reading the pool school we are going to pick up some bleach. I am planning on doing a SWG in the spring. That was my first CYA test and I can tell there is a decent amount of variables at play. I am going to test the CYA again today.

Do not stock up on bleach now for next year. Under the best storage conditions it will lose some of its effectiveness over 6+ months of time.

Take. care.

Do not stock up on bleach now for next year. Under the best storage conditions it will lose some of its effectiveness over 6+ months of time.

Take. care.

Thanks for the tip. Most of it should be used here in the next week. Currently draining the pool again to refill to lower the CYA level. Once I get it in check I need to SLAM the pool due to algae. I want to get it cleared up before we close it. We definitely fell short this year in maintaining the pool. Just put the order in for the VS pump and Circupool RJ60 SWG.

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome! I'm northwest of you, in DuBois! If you spend time reading here all winter, you'll be all set in the spring for a sparkly pool next summer!

Nice to meet another PA member. Looking forward to a clear pool next year.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
After the second drain and refill I am now sitting at a CYA of 50. Just dispensed enough bleach to get the pool up to 20ppm FC and going to test it in the morning. Safety cover should be here this week but I will most likely wait till second week of October to close this year just to see how the pool does.

For the best results, it's recommended to close when the water hits 60 degrees. In my experience, when the water is below 70, it doesn't use the chlorine up as fast, so maintaining a few extra weeks isn't a huge problem. (After your SLAM is done.)

SLAM'ed the pool for the last two days. OCLT was 1ppm or less this morning. Water is pretty clear except for when I stir up any sediment. Going to let the FC start dropping and put the Nautalis in when I get home. New safety cover is going to be delivered today so I plan on laying it out and installing on Sunday to get all of the mounting locations drilled. Not closing the pool for a couple more weeks though.

Yep, added 2 cups of DE 1/4 cup at a time mixed with water in a buck to the skimmer till the pump read 1 psi higher. I was able to brush the pool twice last night. I leave for work at 5am and get home around 5:30 pm so not able to stir it up during the day. Curious to see what it looks like when I get home.