Water smell

May 26, 2014
Clinton,Iowa
So I went from Chlorine to Bromine, did not like the Bromine so drained the hot tub, refilled and got a nasty smell. Drained again and still bad smell. Used test strips and color is off the charts, no idea what the numbers are. Used my pool kit and tested the PH and it is bright yellow. So is the PH to high or too low. Still have bad smell.

You drained it all out and refilled with tap water or well water ?? Did you SLAM it ?? From the test strip test kits I was looking at if it's yellow it's very low in pH. You'll need some washing soda to bring the pH up. Did you clean the filter ??
Have you tried putting a couple gallons of water in a bucket and sniffing it just to see if it's the water itself ??

You might need to do a through cleaning with this product. Ahh-some

Yes I scrubbed it and use tap water to refill, same thing. I will check the bucket thing. I read a thread on hear about the ozonator. I looked in and mine has been discontinued so I bought a newer one. If that's the problem great if not well a new part. Yes cleaned the filter. I rotate the filter every month.

The water is just regular city water. It just started. Have had the hot tub for about a year now. Its a 2007 model. Last time when I drained it I took a bucket of the water and tossed it in the grass and the grass died. (scary) It smells kind of acidic I guess you would say.

I think I'd run a full set of tests on the fill water. To see if you're introducing something, or if it's something in the plumbing of the spa.

It probably wouldn't hurt to get a water report from your utility to see what's in the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.