New Build - Eastern MA

awstevens

Bronze Supporter
Aug 18, 2016
MA
Four months since signing the contract we are finally underway. It's late in the season here but we wanted to get the pool built and yard repaired this year so we are ready to enjoy it next year. The build will be an IG 36x18 Lazy L with 8' deep end, vinyl liner and brushed concrete decking.

The end of the driveway is where our dilapidated single car garage used to be. I was away when they did the demo so unfortunately didn't get a picture of the leaning tower of garage coming down.
IMG_20170903_174823.jpg

First part of the dig is complete. You can see the cutout for the stairs in the foreground. We're using thermoplastic to protect the liner from our dog. As you can see there will be some grading to bring the back of the yard level.
IMG_20170905_182457.jpg

The rain held off and they finished digging yesterday
3kvS112.jpg

Even though it's a vinyl pool our builder uses concrete walls instead of steel. They're starting to put the forms together today
e5qT2rA.jpg

OT: What's the best way to post images so they don't take up the whole screen? I uploaded the images in my first post which worked well but I don't have enough space to keep uploading. I used imgur for the second post but the pictures are obnoxiously large.
EDIT - Nevermind, figured out how to resize on imgur.

Forms are off and it's starting to look like a pool. The town started paving our road (with one day's notice) so I'm hoping that doesn't impact the pool builder's access over the next few days.
hmbH45a.jpg

Things slowed down last week because the town was paving our street and access was somewhat limited. We'll probably lose most of today and tomorrow due to rain as well. We're trying to finalize the patio design but struggling come up with a layout that works. We're hoping to fit in a 10x12 gazebo/canopy, space for a dining table and space for some lounge chairs. We budgeted for 1200 sq ft which seems like it should be big enough but the design we keep coming back to is closer to 1600 sq ft.

Also, working on picking out the pool liner. We're looking for an aquamarine/Caribbean water type look. The pool builder recommended a liner with tan/brown in it to achieve this. Unfortunately Garrett Liners website got hacked so we're having trouble finding example photos. Any thoughts on this color?
Mesa-Clearwater.jpg

Here's a picture of a pool with that liner:
GkYVj2V.jpg

The electrical and plumbing are going in.
6incHVW.jpg

Hi!
What an interesting process for your pool build! That was poor timing for the road work but hopefully worth it.
The design looks great and I LOVE LOVE LOVE that liner!! Just gorgeous! You have a wonderful space for your pool, so go as big for your decking as possible. We also have 1600 sq ft. Furniture takes up much more space than you realize plus you need room to walk around. I've not heard of anyone regretting going larger (with pool size and decking), but many regrets not going big enough.

OK folks, I could use some help with patio design. As an aside, I'm insanely jealous of all of you who got elaborate design drawings from your pool builder. None of the builders we interviewed did this so maybe it's a regional thing. On that note, please excuse my terrible drawing and handwriting. This is the basic design we're working with:
55kIw8e.png

The pool dimensions are in black inside the pool. The ballpark patio dimensions are written in red and broken up to help me calculate the square footage. When I do the math I'm getting somewhere in the ballpark of 1450-1550 sq feet but the pool builder was closer to 1700. What am I missing? Any idea how to calculate the triangle area I left blank?

Unfortunately the areas below the stairs, to the left of the pool and top of the pool don't have much flexibility due to septic and grading. This leaves us trying to fit everything into the right side. In terms of functionality our planned layout is:
- 6 person dining table in the lower right
- 12x10 gazebo with sectional couch in the 13 x 20 area on the right
- lounge chairs in the area near the swimout.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Lost a couple more days this week due to rain but the floor got done today. I thought this was a clever way to finish the last section...
Ls1DVOC.jpg

Also, they started laying down the base for the concrete patio
0GTY2D7.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Any thoughts on providing privacy from the street? We're on a corner lot that's set down a little bit below the street. We're only fencing in the pool area, not the whole yard. We considered a privacy fence along that side of the pool but our landscaper didn't think it would block the view because of the elevation difference. He recommended planting a row of trees along the street. Thoughts?

nfzH2Ku.jpg

For privacy consider Green Giant Arborvitae or San Jose Holly. I personally like the arborviate because you can easily trim them to form a "wall" of trees. Make sure whatever you put in the landscaper provides a guarantee that they will take. I had 3 die and they replaced them no questions asked.

Any thoughts on this type of textured cantilever edge on a broom finished concrete patio? The PB is offering us a $600 discount if we go with this style edge instead of the normal smooth because the forms are easier to work with. I can't find any examples of something similar though and they've only done them on stamped concrete patios.

5672.jpg

Things have gone slowly over the last two weeks but will hopefully start to pickup this week. The patio was poured last week, the final grading and loam is being spread today and the fence guy is starting tomorrow.

8pLN2LE.jpg

I am not sure how I missed this wonderful build! I love the whole thing! You did good with the 4' on the small side. That gives you just enough room to walk to brush or vacuum.

LOL on the "is the pool done yet" pic!

Blocking street view.........I would do a "pretty" privacy fence AND those trees. The fence will be better than nothing for now as the trees grow and finish blocking the view. Here is one I like:

Best 25+ Privacy fences ideas on Pinterest | Backyard fences, Wood fences and Privacy fence designs

Kim:kim:

Thanks Kim. Unfortunately the fence is going in today and we went with the ugly white vinyl on the street side. I'm not super happy with it but we had trouble getting good ideas from landscapers and we had to make a decision since the fence needs to be done before we can do the liner and fill the pool. In retrospect I should have arranged for a temporary fence and dealt with this decision in the spring. There's a good chance the vinyl won't give us the look or the privacy we want and we'll end up moving it up to the street next year.

We went with that same liner. This might give you a better idea of what it might look like. Mind you this was the first day the water was in and an overcast day. It looks really great when cleared up and in the sun.

f0Ng17o.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here's what the liner looks like in person compared to the website pic.

OXkCJb8.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.