Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Couple of questions??

1. Back To Top    #1

Couple of questions??

I have a couple of questions.
    I went on vacation last week (wed)for about 5 days put 2 gallons of 12.5% chlorine in the pool plus I added 2 chlorine disks in my floater (I had put one in on the previous Sunday to see how long it lasted and it was about 1/2 gone) came home sunday night the pool looked great I could actually see the bottom of the pool !!
    I vacuumed it this morning and turned the pump back on and checked my chlorine and it tested zilch, shouldn't I have a little chlorine in it? The first disk i put in is almost gone and the 2 new ones are about 1/4 gone, I added 1/2 gallon of chlorine in this evening. As soon as I post this I am going to order the good test kit.

Do the floaters actually do any good or do most people just use liquid chlorine?

This house we bought is a foreclosure and when we moved in the pool was uncovered and the steps were in, we are guessing at least 2 years. The steps are the really nice ones with the molded wide stairs and it screws onto our deck. The previous owners had used a couple of bags of this blue sand stuff?? to put in the steps I guess to help hold them down the writing is gone from the bags and some of them have leaked so I have this blue sandy stuff I keep getting on the bottom of my pool I have been able to vacuum most of it up but still have some thats settles to the bottom, my question is does anyone know what it is and is there a better way to get it out or just vacuuming will eventually get it out?

Thanks for all your help,
    Mindy
    24' Round, AG, 13,500g Doughboy (Unknown age)
    New Hayward Power-Flo LX 1 hp pump and Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Couple of questions??

You definitely need a good test kit, so I'm happy to hear you are ordering one, tonight.

I'm surprised you didn't have some chlorine considering the amount of 12% you put in, but are you sure it was 12%? Had it been sitting around awhile before you put it in, because chlorine does lose some strength after a period of time.
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

3. Back To Top    #3

yep got it ordered

As far as the chlorine goes My fiance just bought it from the pool store couple weeks ago, Its a very reputable store it's the only local one for about 30-45 miles.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Mindy, what was your CYA when you put the Cl in the pool? Without CYA, the Cl will disappear very quickly.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Okay I got my test kit and these are my current #'s as of 15 min ago

FC 10.5
    CC 0
    PH 7.5
    TA 210
    CH 200
    CYA 42

We had a pool party yesterday and had 4 small kids plus 10-12 adults in at different times so I put a gallon of 12.5% chlorine in last night after I backwashed the pool because I am SURE there were little accidents with the kids.

I am getting frustrated because I just cant seem to get that bottom 12" clear not sure what I am doing wrong???
    Thanks,
    Mindy

6. Back To Top    #6

sand filters are slow, assuming everything is dead. if you want, you can start shocking now pool-school/shocking_your_pool
    you shock level is about 16-18 or so. pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock
    tonight, I would recommend doing an overnight loss test. this will tell you if you have any active algae in your pool.
    pool-school/overnight_fc_test
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

7. Back To Top    #7

Are you running the filter 24/7 and brushing the bottom daily?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

8. Back To Top    #8

The pump has been on since yesterday morning so I will keep running it at what point do I stop running it 24/7?

I brushed pool saturday and we had pool party yesterday and I will brush again today

I am going to add a little more chlorine to bring it up to shock level, can you swim (actually just planned on floating) in a pool with chlorine that high?

I will do an overnight test tonight.

This pool was pretty rough when we moved in and I started working on it in June. I have noticed there is scaling on some of the walls, I am assuming it is calcium scaling. I really dont want to dump water is there an additive or anything you can put in to help remove? I am going to try a pumice stone on the small sections as the article about scaling said that could be done.
    Thanks agan,
    Mindy

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by hairgirl
    The pump has been on since yesterday morning so I will keep running it at what point do I stop running it 24/7?
    You can reduce run time now, but it will take longer to clear your pool.

I brushed pool saturday and we had pool party yesterday and I will brush again today
    Good. Lots of brushing.

I am going to add a little more chlorine to bring it up to shock level, can you swim (actually just planned on floating) in a pool with chlorine that high?
    Different opinions. I think it is okay to swim anywhere above the min and up to shock level based on your CYA level.

I will do an overnight test tonight.

This pool was pretty rough when we moved in and I started working on it in June. I have noticed there is scaling on some of the walls, I am assuming it is calcium scaling. I really dont want to dump water is there an additive or anything you can put in to help remove? I am going to try a pumice stone on the small sections as the article about scaling said that could be done.
    Others will chime in, but I don't think you should use a pumice stone on a vinyl liner. TA & pH can be adjusted to help dissolve calcium scaling. Try a google search (bottom left of page) for "scaling on vinyl liner" for more info.

Thanks agan,
    Mindy
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Okay these are my latest test results

FC 15.5
    CC 0
    PH 8.2
    TA 220
    CH 175
    CYA 40

Should I add the Muriatic Acid now to lower the PH or wait till my Chlorine holds and water clears? I still have my pump running also.
    Thanks,
    Mindy

11. Back To Top    #11

I don't believe ph readings are accurate with high cl levels.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

12. Back To Top    #12

Correct, wait until the FC is below 10 to adjust PH.
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

13. Back To Top    #13

Ok I had to work 12+ hours today and when I left this morning my FC was 15.5 when I got home which was just a short while ago my FC was 6.5, Is that normal that I should have burned through that much chlorine? My pool is still not clear, I am running my pump 24/7 and brushing. Am I just expecting to much to soon? I would just love to have a clear pool before i have to close it but I guess I am just getting frustrated trying to figure this all out.
    Thanks all for your help,
    Mindy

14. Back To Top    #14

That's normal for a daytime loss when the FC is so high.

Did you retest the PH before you started shocking again?