Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trying to find a new pool filter, and I need some help.

1. Back To Top    #1

Trying to find a new pool filter, and I need some help.

I have a small vinyl in-ground pool. It's about 8 feet wide, 24 feet wide and 4.5 feet deep. I need to get a new filter. My filter is 20 years old, and in the process of changing the sand, I've broken the pipe off of the bottom. Currently i have a sand filter, and am interested in changing over to a cartridge or a DE filter. Using the pool calculator i have figured out my pool is 7700 gallons. I'm wondering if I need to use an in-ground filter and pump, or can I go with an aboveground seeing as my pool is so small. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks
    6100 gallon, in ground, vinyl
    8 ft wide, 22 foot long, 4.5 feet deep
    hayward super pump 1/2 hp
    hayward 180-t sand filter 175 lb

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Trying to find a new pool filter, and I need some help.

If your pool is inground, you need an inground pump. Above ground pumps have difficulty priming and are not made for inground pools.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I found a good selection of DE & cartridge filters here. Not sure at what volume you'd need to go from AG to in-ground. I am assuming if you buy "big", your filter system will last longer. If you get a smaller system, it may put more stress on it. I could be wrong though. Also, here are some AG filters.
    Oval Inground, Vinyl Liner
    16x30 aprox 16,000 gallons
    Hayward Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    If your pool is inground, you need an inground pump. Above ground pumps have difficulty priming and are not made for inground pools.

ok so that answers one of my questions, thank you. an in-ground pump it is, but what size filter and pump would be my best option? Most pumps i have found are for much larger pool sizes.
    6100 gallon, in ground, vinyl
    8 ft wide, 22 foot long, 4.5 feet deep
    hayward super pump 1/2 hp
    hayward 180-t sand filter 175 lb