SW PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
So I'm in the final design stages for a new build starting in about 6 weeks. The overall design is for it to be a "natural" feel (freeform shape, boulders, waterfall, etc, etc)
Here's my challenge... because of the shape we will not be going with an auto-cover. I don't care for the options presented, such as the pool-in-a-pool design (freeform pool surrounded by a rectangular ledge housing the underhung track), or the on-deck track option.

From experience, I know a cover at night is extremely beneficial around here, especially in terms of heat loss, so it looks like a solar blanket is where I'm headed. The problem is, I don't want a big ol' solar cover reel on the deck. There's nowhere it could go that it wouldn't be something of an eyesore. A bench or something like that to hide it won't really fit into the overall design we're going for. I thought about one of those systems where you roll it up in place from the middle of the cover, but you still have to drag the rolled up cover out of the pool and put it somewhere. Even if I did have a place out of the way to put the rolled up cover (I don't, at least not real close), I don't know that my wife or kids could move it by themselves without dragging it across the deck. A liquid blanket doesn't appear to be a real option either.

Has anyone recessed a solar blanket? Has anyone installed or have any experience with a Cleardeck system (Cleardeck Systems)? It seems like it might be along the lines of what I'm looking for, but there's not much out there in the way of real life or 3rd party reviews.

Can anyone offer any advice or other suggestions / options?

Thanks
-Barry

That looks neat but......................what happens to the water inside the box? Where does it go? How do you keep the inside of the box clean? I would also worry about the cover growing yuckie stuff on it inside the box. That could end up GROSS and stinky. IF they have address these issues then it might be a neat option.

Kim:kim:

Hi Kim! Well, our present pool has an auto-cover that's basically the same idea...it's recessed and lives in a housing below ground. I've never had any drainage or yukieness issues with it, and I've often retracted the cover when it was soak n wet.* So it appears that those conditions were factored into and mitigated by design. I'm going to ASSUME that since this is the same principle, those issues have also been addressed. Before I talked to the manufacturer, or even the PB, I was hoping to talk with someone that had some real-world experience with it, or that someone could suggest an alternative option.

I have not checked prices yet, but my guess it will be in the $2500-ish neighborhood. My thinking is that with the cost of the new build, another 2.5 (amortized over the life of the pool) isn't a big deal for keeping a nice clean look, and not having that big roll of solar cover to deal with, look at or trip over.
Again, if I'm wrong (and it's been known to happen...just ask my wife), Id appreciate someone setting me straight. Thanks.

* OK, I really only have to look down into the box once a year when I lube the mechanism. There does appear to be a fair share of spider webs and maybe some little critter evidence. Our agreement is, if they don't bother me, I don't bother them. It's been a good arrangement for the last 7 years.

Well there ya go! I wish someone had one of this kind of cover box to talk to ya. Did a search in the our search box and got some hits that really did not go anywhere.

I say look into it and ask questions about drainage and such. See what they say and how they say it and go from there.

Kim:kim:

We just installed a cleardeck with our build. We haven't been able to actually use it yet because we are still under construction. I have seen them in use first hand and love it. Makes for a clean safe storage for the solar blanket. we have a 18x 40 rectangle. The cleardeck is located in the deep end on the 18' side. It is 20' long and about 1' wide at the patio floor. Its actually mostly under the concrete. we paid $3500. We should be wrapping up construction in about 2 weeks. Ill post some pics then if you would like.

Thanks for responding! Yes, please do send pictures when you can. Right now I am leaning heavily in that direction..... until I find a reason not to. I'll be anxiously awaiting your review! Quick question... Did your pool builder order it and install it themselves, or did the authorized dealer in your area have to install it as a sub to the PB?

I built a really cool free form pool with a bolder diving rock and river rock on the back side and a massive boulder retaining wall.... AND JUST WISH I would have built a nice square pool with an Auto Cover.

Think I could have created a nice country look really just with landscaping - and saved a ton of time and hassle with the cover problem and trying to keep my pool warm, clean.

B

Since I'm the lone 'pool takercareofer', I too selfishly would have preferred a rectangular shape for just that reason. The worse part is that I already have an auto cover, so I know what I'm going to be missing. But...we've had a boring yard with a small rectangular pool that came with the house, and the wife has wanted to "blow up" the backyard and make it completely different since the day we moved in. 7 years later, here we are. And you know what they say about 'happy wife....'.

If the Cleardeck system is as advertised, along with the SWG system and automation (neither of which I have now) I should be ok. Still, I'm sure there will be times I will be pining away for my old auto cover.

There is a way to do an auto cover with a free form pool that keeps that look. you have to cantilever the concrete over the rectangle cover. You have to get an engineer to make sure the concrete will hold enough weight on the cantilever but I have seen it and it looks pretty amazing.
pool1.jpgPool2.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nice! I considered the on-deck track, but because of the free-form shape, much of my track would be right down the center of the deck...a real tripping hazard with little ones.

- - - Updated - - -

My cleardeck is being finished today. Solar cover is being fitted and installed into the cleakdeck system. My PB had it as an option. They ordered and installed it as well. I have to admit it looks great. Ill post pics when its complete.

Anxiously awaiting to hear about your experience with it!

Hi all - any updates with the Cleardeck system? Ran into this thread during a search and looking for good solar options as our township requires it.

I'm an autocover owner. I think for a solar cover storage solution, if not worried about the initial cost, it's a great option. I can tell you though, in a second I'd have a dedicated battery operated drill rigged up and in my pool shed to create a power roll-up option.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.