Our Very Own CEMENT POND in the Concrete Jungle (Orlando area)!

ohana4

Aug 14, 2017
Englewood, FL
It's been about two weeks now that I've eagerly read and poured over everyone else's pool stories and pictures here on TFP. I'm so glad to have found this place and have learned so much already, but I know I have only just hit the proverbial tip of the iceberg at this point with all the questions I have yet to ask. Hubby and I are deep into making pool design decisions, builder decisions and color choice decisions right now. We are getting closer to selecting our builder. It's just such a difficult decision to make. We only have one yard, and we don't have unlimited funds, so we want to make sure the builder we choose won't destroy our dreams. Hopefully, we'll have this initial step completed in the next week, and my own story will pick up somewhat once that happens.

In the meantime, I think starting my story will be therapeutic. Sort of like a pool journal. So let me start by saying my husband did not want a pool. I wanted a pool. I've wanted one since we've lived in Texas. Now that we've moved to Central Florida, I want one even more. I feel like in Florida, it's a matter of when, not IF, we should have a pool. Finally, after much bartering, I have convinced my husband that he would like to have a pool too. The funny thing is that he will probably use this pool more than I will. He was a lifeguard when I met him a lifetime ago. And I think he still is part fish to this day.

So we've agreed on a pool shape. We've agreed on the size and depth. We've almost agreed on pool equipment, but since we haven't chosen a builder yet, that may still be in the air. But we are leaning towards the Pentair product line for now. Now we start planning for this crazy adventure. First thing on the list, our hideous AC unit is in the back of our home. Where our Jacuzzi should be. We have to get it moved before anything else can happen. Had we known we would build a pool 18 months after building our home, we might have requested the AC unit to be built on the side of the house from the start. But we didn't. So now we are left with asking the HOA for permission to move this thing, as well as accruing the cost of moving it (which, our AC guy has told us, would be about $2500-$3000 to move it 24 feet from where it is now). They think we are made of money. We're not. But if we want this pool, the AC shall be moved.

We are now waiting for the AC guy's official quote. And HOA approval. Either of those doesn't happen, the pool doesn't happen. And that would be terrible. But either way, that's where we are today. I'm hoping to have some good news by sometime next week on these potential roadblocks. Wish us luck!

FLORIDA in the house! What an awesome start!

Moving AC-call no less than 5 AC people and have them try to beat out the other guy. Let them know you ARE talking to others and they might be more willing to come down on the price. I even tell the first guy I will call him back after everyone has been there (IF I liked him) to give him a fighting chance at beating the other prices.

Kim:kim:

Moving the A/C unit is going to be fairly major. There are two things that have to happen. #1 is they have to extend 220 volt electric to the new site. In most places this requires a permit and inspection. #2, and the bigger issue is the refrigerant line-set has to be extended. They may or may not actually "extend" it as apposed to running an entirely new line-set. In addition, they must evacuate all of the refrigerant from the A/C unit and recharge once everything is moved. It is a big job and I think $3000 is VERY cheap if you can get it done for that.

Thanks, Kim. We will probably call others. Since moving to FL, we have noticed that companies here (be they pest control, contractors, AC, etc) have a kind of "I don't care" attitude. Like they don't really care about showing up on time, or showing up at all. This is very different from the service we came to expect in TX. But I guess it's island time here, something to get used to. This AC guy actually happens to be decent though. Calls back and shows up when they say they will. So this is why we started with them. They did say that they could do it cheaper if they weren't doing to up to codes, like some companies might do, but they do it the way they should. I don't mind swallowing the tough pill of "some" expense if they do a good job with the product. Much like I'd rather pay a fair price for my pool if they do a great job at it. But deciding on this builder is proving to be such a heartache for me. I have a gut feeling builder, but they aren't necessarily a 5 star one (just a 4). But then we are looking at another one who DOES get the 5 star but something still pushes me to the other builder. UUUGGGHHH.. this is the hardest decision!.....so far.

Moving the A/C unit is going to be fairly major. There are two things that have to happen. #1 is they have to extend 220 volt electric to the new site. In most places this requires a permit and inspection. #2, and the bigger issue is the refrigerant line-set has to be extended. They may or may not actually "extend" it as apposed to running an entirely new line-set. In addition, they must evacuate all of the refrigerant from the A/C unit and recharge once everything is moved. It is a big job and I think $3000 is VERY cheap if you can get it done for that.

The company we had come out today seems very knowledgeable on both moving the box as well as the "drip pipe" over to the side. They went into detail about how they would do it all. It's reassuring to hear that their cost would be a fair price to pay. I'll definitely keep that in mind. As he stated to us, others may come out cheaper, but will they run the electricity to code? Will they tack on more cost when they give us an initial quote and later find out they have to move the drip pipe too. All these things, our current AC guy is taking into consideration. As well as building us an extra 30 amp for the pool equipment (I think that's what we need for the pool).

The company we had come out today seems very knowledgeable on both moving the box as well as the "drip pipe" over to the side. They went into detail about how they would do it all. It's reassuring to hear that their cost would be a fair price to pay. I'll definitely keep that in mind. As he stated to us, others may come out cheaper, but will they run the electricity to code? Will they tack on more cost when they give us an initial quote and later find out they have to move the drip pipe too. All these things, our current AC guy is taking into consideration. As well as building us an extra 30 amp for the pool equipment (I think that's what we need for the pool).

The drip pipe refers to the unit inside the house and it evacuates (drains) the condensate from the a-coil (the part that gets cold) within that unit. Not sure why this would need to be moved it has nothing to do with the outside unit.

Running electric to code or not is not an option. Any licensed electrical contractor must do this or else not only will they lose their license but they also may end up in jail. Most, if not all jurisdictions would require a permit with inspection for this type of work.

Also odd that he would offer to run 30 amp service for the pool equipment. This is dependent on the pool builder as to where this goes and how much power is needed for what equipment. The A/C guy would have no knowledge of this and it isn't likely that the pool builder would accept this arrangement. The pool equipment electrical connection will be directly wired to your utility box and not part of any other service. This has red flags to me as it is kind of a non-sequitur.

I think I would check this guy out way closer. BBB, your local licensing division, court cases, etc.

The drip pipe I'm referring to is the one next to the AC that sticks up from the ground and drips water. That has to be moved in order for me to get pavers put in there. I must not be explaining it correctly (which is probably the case here). This company DOES do everything with permits and no shortcuts. I would not want to use a company that doesn't do things the right way.

The drip pipe I'm referring to is the one next to the AC that sticks up from the ground and drips water. That has to be moved in order for me to get pavers put in there. I must not be explaining it correctly (which is probably the case here). This company DOES do everything with permits and no shortcuts. I would not want to use a company that doesn't do things the right way.

Gotcha that makes more sense the builder just put that in a bad location. Those are not too hard to move. Does it come out of the bottom of your house though and not actually from the ground? These are gravity drains unless it is part of a sump-pump powered drainage solution. Can you post a picture? Where is your inside unit (furnace)? Basement, main floor or attic?

Did he mention the refrigerant (freon) line set?

It's a single story, no basement. Lines come from the foundation or under foundation into the ground. Gravity drain. So we'll probably need to buy a condenser pump if they use alternate lines through the attic space. The unit is on our second floor, but not in the attic. (All this quoted by my husband.) :)

It's a single story, no basement. Lines come from the foundation or under foundation into the ground. Gravity drain. So we'll probably need to buy a condenser pump if they use alternate lines through the attic space. The unit is on our second floor, but not in the attic. (All this quoted by my husband.) :)

Sounds good but still tread with caution and do your due diligence on the contractor. FL is notorious for slick con-men offering nothing for something. Still seeing a red flag about the "extra" service for the pool. That unto itself is a $3k-$5k job so no way he can throw it in for free.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ohana!! You and my wife would get along! I was anti-pool for a long time. She realized I am more anti-beach than I am anti-pool and THAT is how she got me... "If we have a pool, we won't have to go to the beach.." Don't get me wrong, I love the water but can't stand getting covered in sand.

Now that we have moved further from the beach (although closer to the Bay), it was either get a pool or drive 45 minutes to be miserable on the sand. Now that we have chosen the builder, even I am excited!

We feel your pain on the things that need to be done before you can even get a pool. Remove 6 trees, including one 'Grand' Laurel Oak, remove 450sq/ft concrete slab, have an electrician add a sub-panel so we could power the pool equipment (our electric panel was full).

BTW - My electrician ran a line for the pool equipment long before we chose the builder...it was an inexpensive add since he was already there installing a new sub-panel and a general use outlet for my back-yard. He left the wires capped in a weather-resistant box where we wanted the pool equipment to be - 30amp 220v service - each of the pool builders we considered said it was perfect and all three major manufactures of pool equipment were represented by those builders (Pentair, Hayward and Jandy).

Also, at my last house, I have had to move an A/C unit - I paid $1200 in 2009...$3000 seems high to me, but things are more expensive these days given that the contractors are far busier. Just getting someone reliable to come out for a quote today is tough! Our air handler was attic mounted - they pulled all refrigerant into the compressor, ran new refrigerant lines, power, and condensation drip line (pvc) through the attic, outside of the house to the new location - they didn't "extend" anything, as that would have left all the pipes and I was adding an attached covered deck where the old unit was. They even put a new "Hurricane Pad" down and new galvanized cover for all the pipes coming from the attic down the wall...the old ones were ~20 years old and not in the greatest shape anyway.

sehrmude, it'll be great to commiserate with someone as we both go through the building process. Maybe we can visit each other's pools when they are completed! Unfortunately, by the time ours actually gets finished, it'll be into the Christmas season and probably getting chilly. I will more than likely still jump in though. I didn't wait years for a pool to then just sit on the edge and look at it for months. The Pre-build work is no fun. I don't enjoy waiting for the HOA to give us their blessing on something I'm spending thousands for on MY lot. I also don't enjoy spending thousands on something not very tangible like moving this AC. But I realize these things must be done. And someday, I'll be enjoying my lovely pool. Your wife is a genius for wanting a pool. And you are equally genius for agreeing with her about it. I think my husband is pretty excited now too. He's actually researching the different LED lights and bubblers and such.

We have a design now! And our colors, stones and such selected! I am finding this process to be very exciting alternating with impatience for it to be done already so I can start brushing! I mean swimming. Anyway, here are the details. Please feel free to let us know what you think. This is our first pool and first pool build, so we are very new to everything that is happening.

Pool Details:

18 x 32 Geometric style (450 sq ft) 3.5 - 6 ft in depth
Pentair V.S. 3050 Pool Pump
Pentair 200 Clean & Clear Plus Cart. Filter
Never Lube valves
Pentair Easytouch 4 Control System w/ScreenLogic
Pentair Intellichlor IC40

Sunshelf 64 sq ft
ColorCascade LED bubbler
Pentair 5G LED Light
48" Sheer Waterfall
2 Pentair MagicBowl Water features
2 Automated Valves for water features
Dome Screen Enclosure

Stonescapes Mini Pool Finish: Tahoe Blue
Travertine Coping 6 x 12": Ivory
Brick Paver Pool Decking: White/Tan/Charcoal in Heritage Random Pattern
Waterline Tile: Lauderdale Tile in Atlantis Blue
Tile on Pedistals and Raised Walls by Waterfall: NPT Lightwaves Aquamarine

I do have pictures, which I will attempt to post in the next few minutes.

All of this is Kim BLING :queen: approved!

I did some guessing on your size in your pool size in gals and came up with 19400 gals. (I called your depth 4.5 for this). Looks like your SWG size will be good as we like for you to go double the size. If you want to go to the 60 you can.

All of this is Kim BLING :queen: approved!

Thanks! I can't wait to see it all in real life. We decided not to go with extra bling in the plaster (glass beads and abalone) because of a combination of added cost, plus the worry that the glass will pop out during the brush process and clog up the filters or something. Also, the pool builder said he has the glass and it doesn't make too much of a difference in the pool compared to without it. He sent us a pic of his pool and, indeed, it wasn't very sparkly. So we spent the money on the magic bowls and my favorite glass tiles instead. :whoot:

We decided to stick with the 40 for now. Hoping it'll be fine since it's right at double.

I haven't been able to post any updates until now, because there was nothing to tell. The HOA took a couple of months to finally get back to us, due to Hurricane Irma (so they say). But we finally got approval for all of our projects. The A/C unit was finally able to come out and move our unit from the back of our house to the side. And the pool company has been amazing so far. They came a day earlier than we expected (while the A/C was still being moved) and stripped our yard of grass on November 1. On November 2, they came and blocked out the pool shape. The big hole was dug on November 3, and today, they are out there putting steel bar in (sorry, I'm not too familiar with all the correct lingo). I know things are going to slow down eventually, but as of right now, things have been moving along quite speedily. I have no complaints whatsoever about our pool build so far. Everyone is friendly, professional, and they all are very knowledgeable about their jobs.

Here are a few pictures of what we have so far:

The "before" picture:

The blocking of the pool:

And the giant hole in our backyard:

Now, my next task is to fill out my signature with all my pool specs in it!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.