Oval AGP Liner sinking in 8 upright support posts?

C39609

Aug 21, 2017
Chattanooga
Help? This is my first oval pool and it's made me a nervous wreck! The installation was terrible and once finally completed by the "experienced for 30 years company" everything has been great until this week. I noticed that all 4 support posts on the sides, 8 in total, are all basically "showing" underneath my liner. What I mean by showing is this: my pool floor which was originally completely smooth has foot prints all over the pool from swimming and jumping in. I thought this was normal and those don't bother me. BUT, when I walk in the pool and visibly see all the upright posts under the liner (like the entire post) and the ends near the channel caps have what feels like sink holes under them... I guess is how you would describe this? It feels like all of the sand around all of the upright posts is nearly gone and washed away.

My first thought of course was oh no it's gonna push these bad boys through the liner and make
Holes since they are "sticking up" so far into the pool. Then, of course I turned to WHY!!! What's causing this? Why are the sand missing spots so big there of all places... when everywhere else is just tiny dips from foot prints? I did notice 1 noticeable difference under the pool steps as well from the mat moving around when they weren't weighed down enough but that's about it.

So is this from a leaking pool? Not having enough sand as base? Something else? I'm thinking I'm prob gonna have to cover it and then drain it next summer and re so sand base + new liner and refill. So annoying! I just don't want it to happen again next year! We have only had this since end of June!

If your pool is like my old one, they dug holes to set the feet of the uprights in. They should also have set the feet on concrete blocks. that said, the liner sank because what was holding it up either sank or got washed away. its possible rain got under the liner and washed sand out, its possible you have a leaky liner, but you'd probably know that if you did. most likely the disturbed ground in the holes wasn't compacted well enough and the weight of the water compacted the dirt which meant the sand is sinking. When I did mine, I took care to disturb the earth in the holes as little as possible so I had a firm base for the concrete pad blocks.

If there's any kind of warranty you got, I'd contact the company that installed it and see if they'll fix it.

If your pool is like my old one, they dug holes to set the feet of the uprights in. They should also have set the feet on concrete blocks. that said, the liner sank because what was holding it up either sank or got washed away. its possible rain got under the liner and washed sand out, its possible you have a leaky liner, but you'd probably know that if you did. most likely the disturbed ground in the holes wasn't compacted well enough and the weight of the water compacted the dirt which meant the sand is sinking. When I did mine, I took care to disturb the earth in the holes as little as possible so I had a firm base for the concrete pad blocks.

If there's any kind of warranty you got, I'd contact the company that installed it and see if they'll fix it.

+1 with what crokett said.

We installed our pool ourselves and made sure the supports were well covered with sand and well compacted. Foot prints in the liner would definitely be from sand not being compacted.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.