Want to Track How Long Heater Runs

WardL

Apr 2, 2015
Camarillo, CA
I have a heat pump and a propane heater for my pool and spa. We don't heat the pool as it would cost a fortune. We heat the spa with the heat pump alone or with the heat pump and the propane heater. I would like to know how long my propane heater runs when I heat the spa. Has anyone hooked up a timer in the heater circuit that measures the time the heater is running? I think the propane heater runs until the heater inlet temperature is 102 F. At that point, the propane heater won't fire and the heat pump continues to heat the spa up to 102. The heat pump is in front of the propane heater. A friend suggested a WeMo smart receptacle would monitor the energy use and time in service. I would have to insert the WeMo device in the hard wired heater power. Just wondering if there is a better way. Thank you.

Nice to meet you via TFP :)

Back in my greenhouse days before everything became computerized (and gave us run-time data on the computer), we used to add an hour meter on the control circuit of any gas appliances. Usually the control circuits were 24 volts DC (the wires going to a thermostat, limit switches, gas valve, etc.), so we could use multi-voltage hour meters commonly sold for things like outboard motors. They're around $15 on Amazon, but I don't know if your heater control circuit is 24VDC.

If the heat pump doesn't have hours in the diagnostics, you could add a current transformer type clamp-on meter which will give you energy consumed. These aren't as accurate as an hour meter, but should be fine. You would need three if it's three-phase, one for single-phase.

If it's 115 V plug-in, you could use a device that's also handy around the house (3rd link below). I have two of those and they're around +/-10% (they're probably tuned for 230 or 240 volt vs. our 250 volt. I suspect for your big market over there, they would be tuned better than what I get).

Don't do anything with line voltage unless trained by someone in the know.

Just examples, no comment on quality...

https://www.amazon.com/Aimilar-Mechanical-Diesel-Generator-Tractor/dp/B01E04SUDU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1503363324&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=hour+meter+for+generator&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/bayite-BAYITE-PZEM-061-Multimeter-Voltmeter-Transformer/dp/B00YY1KOHA/ref=pd_rhf_se_s_fbcp_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00YY1KOHA&pd_rd_r=VNDYYP57PZJ04ZJ49786&pd_rd_w=hJ4AW&pd_rd_wg=ghkaz&pf_rd_i=desktop-rhf&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3150073222&pf_rd_r=VNDYYP57PZJ04ZJ49786&pf_rd_s=desktop-rhf&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=VNDYYP57PZJ04ZJ49786

https://www.amazon.com/TS-836A-Energy-Voltage-Electricity-Monitor/dp/B00E945SJG/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1503364161&sr=8-8&keywords=plug+in+energy+meter

Is the propane heater the only appliance using propane?
If so a simple calculation of propane used and BTU burned per hour by the appliance will give you your use/time measurements.
If more then one appliance is in use a properly timed outage of additional appliances would yield the same results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.