15' Intex Prism Setup, 1 year later

Russell23

May 4, 2020
New Orleans, LA
It's been a bit over a year since I set up my pool and I got a lot of useful advice from the generous TFP folks, so I wanted to share what I did in case it helps anyone else.

I got a 15' x 48" Intex Prism pool and a sand pump w/ salt water combo. My yard was pretty flat already (about 2" differential) but I wanted to try and see if we could make it better. First we used a couple of shovels to remove the sod (following this technique). It felt like a lot of work because it was already pretty hot outside, but we managed.
1626728524551.png
Next we got an 8' 2x4 and drilled a hole in one end so we could use a metal spike to make it so we could pivot the board and map out the shape of the pool. We used a large level attached to the board so we could see how level we were as we dug.
1626728787523.png
We were originally thinking we would only dig away (no building up) but realized that was a pipe dream - we couldn't dig down very much because of a giant root in the ground. So in the end we *mostly* dug down, but we fill in some pockets with soil, making sure it was compacted as possible. We sometimes used a hammer and a short 2x4 to compact it as needed (we didn't have a tamper). We got it as level as we could with dirt, then we added 10 bags of leveling sand (NOT play sand). The sand probably wasn't necessary since the final layer was very thin and we were planning on using foam anyway, but it did help make it a little easier to level at the very end since our dirt was pretty coarse. As we were digging, we noticed there was a LOT of broken glass and other bits in the soil, but we tried out best to remove it all. We also decided to spring for a foam layer, which was a GREAT decision.
1626729127989.png1626729461535.png

Next we laid down two heavy-duty tarps from costco, taped together with black gorilla tape.
1626729351553.png
We then did a layer of 1/2" XPS foam board, again using the heavy duty gorilla tape to join. We did a triple-layer of tape on both sides, which was probably overkill, but it's held together very well.
1626729614434.png

Next we put down the ground cloth that came with the pool. It probably wasn't necessary, but we figured "why not"?
1626729854571.png
Next we assembled the pool, and cut back the foam and tarp as needed, and rolled back the ground cloth.. We used a level to make sure all the legs were straight up and down, then marked the ground for each foot. Per many suggestions from users in this forum, we bought 4" thick cinder block pavers and broke them in half, then dug out and placed a paver under each leg. It was easier to break the pavers than I expected! We used a mallet and a chisel method.
1626730107482.png1626730181748.png
We made a level platform for the sand filter/pump combo using some more of the cinder block pavers, then we hooked it up and filled the pool! We did some minor landscaping around the pool - really just a layer of weed cloth and then we ordered a truckload of river rocks.
1626730455964.png

1 year later, we are glad we sprung for:
- the foam! it really feels much nicer. Lots of guests compliment it. Also, given how much glass was in the yard, it feels like a bit of an extra buffer.
- upgrading to salt water. I was expecting a lot of maintenance but it has been minimal. We even ended up taking a 4 week vacation at one point but when we came back the pool was still crystal clear. Plus the salt feels better on the skin.
- upgrading to a sand filter. It was a bigger cost up front, but it seems to be working very well and I'm glad we don't have to worry about changing out filters. Also, the sand filter has a larger pump which is rated for a pool MUCH larger than ours, so I'm sure that has helped keep it low maintained. It also helps when we use add-ons like the intex vacuum, because I don't think the stock pump was strong enough to work with it.

We only have a few semi-regrets:
- We got the pool on clearance at the end of 2019 (not knowing how lucky we were). However, we found out that the metal poles are NOT anodized. I forgot to mention it above, but we actually sprayed the poles with a couple layers of white rustoleum paint, hoping it would slow the rusting. Even with that extra step, we started seeing rust within 3 days of setting it up! I know some people believe that salt water will rust a pool out but after some research on the TFP forums I don't think that was the case because you don't actually use that much salt. In fact, it started rusting before we even added salt! The fact is, we live in a VERY humid area (gulf south) and since the poles aren't anodized, they don't stand a chance. They've held up for a year so far, but I will be surprised if they hold up for 3. When it does inevitably break, I'm hoping we can replace it with an intex pool that had anodized poles (the XTR).
- I checked the length of the cord but didn't actually plug it in - it turns out it's too big to fit on my outlet. It ended up being an easy fix, I got an extension cord from amazon (one that was designed for an RV). It has held up well. I also got a waterproof box (sock it box) to keep the part where they connect dry.
- worrying so much! I wanted to do it right, but I think I was too stressed about making it 100% perfect. It might not look like it from the photo, but it was maybe 90% perfect and that was plenty for what we needed. Sure, one side of the pool is 1" lower than the other, but it's held up very well so far and it hasn't affected out enjoyment at all.

One thing I will add: we were lucky to get the pool on clearance for about $70. When I bought it, I didn't realize how much work it would take to get it set up. Also, that the pool would end up being one of the least expensive things. We got the sand/salt pump on sale but it was still $275. Its partly why I would spring for a better (anodized) pool next time, even if it means spending more.

We're so glad to have a pool and are very grateful for all the help we received from TFP users. I hope this has been helpful to someone!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.